Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

They don't have one. The closest they did have was probably Storm.

And no, Carol will never ever be close, no matter how hard they try.

I would've said Jean Grey/Phoenix...

If the X-Men were the most popular marvel franchise at one point (outside of Spiderman), then their be all/end all narrative often seemed focused on Jean Grey as Phoenix/Dark Phoenix... yknow, the whole 'most dangerous/most powerful/biggest threat to everything embodied in the person they loved dearest' thing... plus being Xavier's prized student and the woman that the main males (Cyclops, Wolverine) were always sprung/fighting over.

Whether the comics, cartoon or movies this always seemed like the 'thing'. Jean was the gold standard, Scott was the boy scout who claimed her, and Wolverine was the redemption-bound degenerate who would leave her conflicted.

I would say that Storm (and maybe Rogue to an extent) may have been just as popular if not more so, as far as the general public's reception... which is a testament to Ororo given that she didn't seem to have the type of juicy major event/character-centric stories that Jean had. Or have the type of romance-stuff that the teens ate up, like the Rogue/Gambit, Scott/Jean/Logan, Sue/Namor/Doom/Richards, etc.

But after or around the X3 movie, it seemed like Marvel put their foot down on Jean Grey as a character, more or less keeping her dead and kinda moving away from her.

I think in the net few years, they'll do what they can to push Captain Marvel as their it female... but it may also be interesting what they do with the Angela character, if they give her a cinematic push sometime down the line, b/c she certainly can fit the "Wonder Woman" mold in certain ways, personality wise perhaps and the whole warrior prince/xena vibe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    They don't have one. The closest they did have was probably Storm.

And no, Carol will never ever be close, no matter how hard they try.
    You don't know that. It will be intersting to see what the Peggy Carter screenwriters will do with the character. Then, there is the movie. The Captain Marvel movie can do for Carol Danvers what RDJ did for Iron Man.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

I Agree, as of right now Marvel has not the Equivalent to DC's Wonder Woman. BUT Also Marvel has made Great and Successful moves thanks to its films that it is moving itself Greatly Up the Latter and DC is in Catch-Up mode. Marvel is starting to show why it has Ladies that can Grand in their own right to DC's Wonder Woman.

As for who is the Flagship Lady, Right now in the Films it is Black Widow hands down. Scarlet Witch just came onto the scene and Captain Marvel is still awhile away, so movie wise it is Black Widow Hands Down!

As for the comics, right at this moment in time it has to be Black Widow, Storm, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel(Kamala Khan)! As for the Next-Coming Year I say All 4 of these Ladies will still be tops, with Scarlet Witch, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen and The Wasp (Janet Van Dayne) as well!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Spectacular Member

Angela has potential but I get the feeling she is going to be like Winter Soldier, a good concept but just never popular enough.

It might actually be a good thing that Marvel doesn't have a "Wonder Woman" flagship because they seem to have a wider range of popular female characters. But DC is no slouch in that category either.

Is it movies that make a character famous? Cause then surely Mystique played by JLaw is tops. But I don't think movies make the hero. I mean yes Rogue got a mini, a solo and led her own series after the X-movies, but I don't think that the movies were why.

Marvel doesn't have a Wonder Woman. There are terrific female heroes but none like Wonder Woman. The X-Trinity of Jean-Storm-Rogue are still incredibly popular but they are more recognized as X-Men then stand alone heroes. Kamala Khan is totally having a moment but she is new. Marvel is definitely pushing Captain Marvel hard right now. So there is that. But it does seem that fans are hard to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    You don't know that. It will be intersting to see what the Peggy Carter screenwriters will do with the character. Then, there is the movie. The Captain Marvel movie can do for Carol Danvers what RDJ did for Iron Man.
    I'm taking a guess based on the characters decades long history, and how Marvel does things. None of them will be an equivalent, and a movie won't change that. And even if the movies did make that much a difference, it'd be in Black Widow's favor. The "movie 6" have been ingrained now as the Avengers, and Carol missing out on that already damaged her chance at being that top female, imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm taking a guess based on the characters decades long history, and how Marvel does things. None of them will be an equivalent, and a movie won't change that. And even if the movies did make that much a difference, it'd be in Black Widow's favor. The "movie 6" have been ingrained now as the Avengers, and Carol missing out on that already damaged her chance at being that top female, imo.
    Carol was already popular before she became Captain Marvel, and as of right now, she's the closest. Storm's time as Marvel's leading lady, was a long time ago. Carol can easily replace Black Widow as Marvel's lead in the movies. She won't be treated as a support character who never gets her movie. The heroes that fans will remember are Thor, Cap, and Iron Man, and possibly Hulk. Hawkeye, well people already do forget about him, and now because of Scarlet Witch, BW is no longer the token female and with Captain Marvel as lead female, people will probably eventually forget about Black Widow. By then, Scarjo will probably be ready to retire from Marvel movies.

Spectacular Member DuskHarlekin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    Carol was already popular before she became Captain Marvel, and as of right now, she's the closest. Storm's time as Marvel's leading lady, was a long time ago. Carol can easily replace Black Widow as Marvel's lead in the movies. She won't be treated as a support character who never gets her movie. The heroes that fans will remember are Thor, Cap, and Iron Man, and possibly Hulk. Hawkeye, well people already do forget about him, and now because of Scarlet Witch, BW is no longer the token female and with Captain Marvel as lead female, people will probably eventually forget about Black Widow. By then, Scarjo will probably be ready to retire from Marvel movies.
    Carol is not popular, ask somebody on the street and they have a better chance of naming Nebula then they do Carol. Even in the world of comics she struggles to keep sales. You have to put Black Widow and Kamala higher just cause there books do better. After Captain Marvel the movie comes out she might be more popular but until then she has to go below Black Widow and maybe even Gamora who will be a main character in a cartoon. You can't be a good flagship let alone popular if no one knows who you are.

I would unfortunately say Jessica Jones. She's the first Marvel heroine to get a solo anything in their Cinematic Universe. Her show comes out what? At least a year before the Captain Marvel movie? Once again I hate that character. She's -A: The ret-con queen and -B: Got Luke Cage neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman equivalent? The answer is Wolverine (yes, Logan). Just like Wonder Woman is third place behind Batman and Superman, Wolverine is third behind Spider-Man and Iron Man.
    I'd say that in the comics, Wolverine comes #2, well ahead of Iron-Man/Cap/Thor. However in the movies IMHO Hugh Jackman's character is #3 after RDJ's Iron-Man and whoever's playing Spider-Man at the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I Agree, as of right now Marvel has not the Equivalent to DC's Wonder Woman. BUT Also Marvel has made Great and Successful moves thanks to its films that it is moving itself Greatly Up the Latter and DC is in Catch-Up mode. Marvel is starting to show why it has Ladies that can Grand in their own right to DC's Wonder Woman.

As for who is the Flagship Lady, Right now in the Films it is Black Widow hands down. Scarlet Witch just came onto the scene and Captain Marvel is still awhile away, so movie wise it is Black Widow Hands Down!

As for the comics, right at this moment in time it has to be Black Widow, Storm, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel(Kamala Khan)! As for the Next-Coming Year I say All 4 of these Ladies will still be tops, with Scarlet Witch, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen and The Wasp (Janet Van Dayne) as well!
    I find Mystique's exposure more significant than BW's but one is usually referred as a villain and the other kinda referred as a spy/agent than a superhero. But yeah they have a huge exposure in movies

Thank you for mentioning Spider-Gwen, currently the best-selling female ongoing comic solo, beating Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Batgirl and Ms Marvel. But we still need to know if she can keep the sales that good for a longer time. But I'm really, really impressed with Spider-Gwen sales.

The only thing that I kinda not really agree with your post though is the inclusion of Wasp.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Is it movies that make a character famous? Cause then surely Mystique played by JLaw is tops. But I don't think movies make the hero. I mean yes Rogue got a mini, a solo and led her own series after the X-movies, but I don't think that the movies were why.

Marvel doesn't have a Wonder Woman. There are terrific female heroes but none like Wonder Woman. The X-Trinity of Jean-Storm-Rogue are still incredibly popular but they are more recognized as X-Men then stand alone heroes. Kamala Khan is totally having a moment but she is new. Marvel is definitely pushing Captain Marvel hard right now. So there is that. But it does seem that fans are hard to predict.
    Thank you for mentioning the X-female trinity!

Quote Originally Posted by DuskHarlekin View Post
    Carol is not popular, ask somebody on the street and they have a better chance of naming Nebula then they do Carol. Even in the world of comics she struggles to keep sales. You have to put Black Widow and Kamala higher just cause there books do better. After Captain Marvel the movie comes out she might be more popular but until then she has to go below Black Widow and maybe even Gamora who will be a main character in a cartoon. You can't be a good flagship let alone popular if no one knows who you are.
    True. Carol may have an ongoing series always but she's not popular. But her upcoming movie announcement helped her become more known and the release of her movie will definitely give her a huge popularity boost.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DuskHarlekin View Post
    Sorry, but that's nonsense. Carol is very popular in the comics, and her sales are about just as good as Black Widow's without the support of the MCU. Kamala's sales are better, but not by much. Of course, this isn't even including digital sales.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Well right now about the only Marvel female you can find on t-shirts is Widow but she doesn't have her own movie.

For a long time Marvel put Storm up against Wonder Woman, literally. WW and Storm fought in the big DC vs Marvel event and they also got combined in Amalgam Comics. But licensing deals has her out at Fox so she's not quite getting a push from Marvel after her solo series faded.

Maybe in spite of themselves they'll get Carol her success and her movie will catch on and she'll be heavily marketed like Wonder Woman is on t-shirts and lunchboxes and she'll be a part of pop culture. You can get folders for school with Wonder Woman on them, I think Widow might be on an Avengers one but Marvel doesn't have any just female ones.

Oh, I know! Princess Leia is Marvel Comic's biggest female

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    Any chance there was for Susan Storm to be Marvel's lead female has gone down the drain with the cancellation of the Fantastic Four comic and the apparent demise of Sue herself. I would say the two leaders are Storm and Carol Danvers and the edge probably goes to Carol.
    Now I'm depressed...

Especially since there is no sign of her anywhere in the new Marvel.