View Poll Results: What Does It Take For Straight Readers To Accept That A Character Is Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thay have to be shown saying; "I am gay, lebian or bisexual"

28 30.43%
  • They have to be shown kising another man or another woman

8 8.70%
  • They have to have years of innuendos and hints that they're gay, lesbian or bisexual

9 9.78%
  • They have to be shown in bed with another man or another woman

5 5.43%
  • They have to have a telepath confirm it

5 5.43%
  • The writer has to confirm it

8 8.70%
  • The creator of the character has to confirm it

1 1.09%
  • Nothing; some people will never accept the character as gay, lesbian or bi

28 30.43%
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I would just like to see a good story.
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

One reader's take -

We are talking about a medium where "Magneto/Xorn" actually takes place. Think about what people thought they knew versus what they were told(and later told again) about what actually happened.

This is the landscape we are talking about.

If your question is "What does it take for you to accept this?", my answer would be "Why are you asking the question like it is actually that simple?"

While there are times where it will be, we are talking about comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I assume str8 readers who have no problem with homosexuality accept it; as they would any other reveal (of origins, or powers, or childhood). Those that don't... just won't. No amount of good storytelling, allusions or focus will change that. All we can hope is, in time, their views change and they become more accepting
    This is sort of what I'm talking about.

While some folks want to see it as being about me and if I am an accepting person or not, all I can think of is "You do know we are talking about comics, right?"

Many times, today's "reveal" is tomorrow's "Everything you thought you knew about that was wrong."

Powered By Gravity

There should be an option for "doesn't care either way"

Think about Loeb on Wolverine. That was a reveal. "Reveal" is probably the most complicated word in comics.

Amazing Member

Establish it first instead of going the route of the shock factor.

BANNED

Depends on the reader. Most will accept direct evidence or broad hints. Some will never, ever be willing to see something that contradicts their carefully curated mental constructs or causes them to feel uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    I dont remember there being hints. They were close like Cage and Iron Fist or the other numerous buddy duos.Ric being a colossal hot head and Star being a cool seasoned warrior.

All I remember from Ric way back in the day is having serious overt attraction for Boom Boom and Rahne(two more different types of women I could not think of).

But like I said, I am an old fart...the memory aint what it used to be.
    There were hints, dude. Through narration and visual.

Also, I always found it weird how when a character comes out as bi, people say, "But they were with women! How can that be?!" not realizing that bisexuality doesn't mean homosexuality. Even if they were gay but with women, it doesn't remove their history with women and their experiences.

Extraordinary Member

If writer wants to posit Hercules as bi, fine.

If a writer wants to posit Storm as bi, fine.

If a writer wants to posit Iceman as Gay I have a really big problem with it.

There are a least five GLBT Xmen without storylines as it is now. We need a story about one of the O5 coming out now?

Frankly, #$%& the O5.

They get enough stories about them.

If a GLBT storyline is needed there's Northstar, Prodigy, Shatterstar, Rictor, Bling, Karma, Anole, Greymalkin and possibly Dani Moonstar to choose from of the top of my head.

And none of them are the beat to death characters the O5 are.

I want more Prodigy. When he came out, I said "FINALLY!!! A BLACK BISEXUAL MALE!!"

Quote Originally Posted by madrox83 View Post
    I would just like to see a good story.
    Boom. This. Done.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    For the 100th time, we are talking about a character who has worked with numerous telepaths all throughout his career as an X-man. It simply does not make sense that not one of those telepaths would know about it. It has nothing to do with 'acting gay'. Quit trying to guilt trip posters by acting as though their criticisms of Bendis' lame story-writing are a slight on closeted homosexuals.
    Could not agree with this more. I am not mad that Iceman is gay. I am mad that it makes no sense based on his 50+ years of character development for him to all of a sudden be gay.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I want more Prodigy. When he came out, I said "FINALLY!!! A BLACK BISEXUAL MALE!!"
    Aye, verily, +1, and like.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    Could not agree with this more. I am not mad that Iceman is gay. I am mad that it makes no sense based on his 50+ years of character development for him to all of a sudden be gay.
    I dislike it because, aside from the clunky execution, it's the second recent instance of Bendis outing a character with no apparent intention of exploring that facet in the narrative. Ben Deeds = wallpaper, and Bendis outed Iceman with -- what? Two issues left to his run? Three? It comes across very much as not being part of this "organic storytelling" business that Brevoort, Feige and the like keep using as an excuse for why we can't have more prominent diversity, but as one writer trying to leave his mark on the franchise. And, though Lemire's hints leave me hopeful, we still don't have confirmation on whether or not this actually applies to adult Iceman. Big "meh" from this corner.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    Look up 'late in life' coming out stories. Depending on how Marvel handle it, this could actually be an amazing and emotional story.

Repression and denial happens, and can take people decades to accept, even of themselves.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Look up 'late in life' coming out stories. Depending on how Marvel handle it, this could actually be an amazing and emotional story.

Repression and denial happens, and can take people decades to accept, even of themselves.
    Yes... it could, can't any more though as it was young Iceman that came out, not actual Iceman. This 'coming out' story was messed up because of the start.
    Last edited by The Fury; 08-05-2015 at 09:02 AM.