View Poll Results: What Does It Take For Straight Readers To Accept That A Character Is Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thay have to be shown saying; "I am gay, lebian or bisexual"

28 30.43%
  • They have to be shown kising another man or another woman

8 8.70%
  • They have to have years of innuendos and hints that they're gay, lesbian or bisexual

9 9.78%
  • They have to be shown in bed with another man or another woman

5 5.43%
  • They have to have a telepath confirm it

5 5.43%
  • The writer has to confirm it

8 8.70%
  • The creator of the character has to confirm it

1 1.09%
  • Nothing; some people will never accept the character as gay, lesbian or bi

28 30.43%
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Thing is, I do support diverse titles and diverse characters with my dollar, often even, but I do so on my own terms and it's made out to feel like that isn't contributing much sometimes solely because of the "You're either with us or against us" mentality everyone seems to have these days. It's very divisive.
    Well, you did just quote two different people that aren't giving you crap for your selection, so it's not everyone. Progress!

And someone saying they support a title or character always seems weird to me. Do you - not you specifically, Prince of Orphans, the general you - do you not read or enjoy those comics you buy? I buy a comic because it seems like something I would enjoy, not because I want to put cash into a Societal Betterment Slot Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    How would you all feel if Spiderman suddenly said "Sorry MJ. I like dudes now. PEACE OUT!".
    That would be epic, and the first Spider-Man comic I'd ever buy.

When I watch marvel tv or movies that race swap white characters to black (Heimdall, Ben urich, Johnny storm) I always groan because they're not doing it for good story purposes
    The thing is, there doesn't NEED to be a good story purpose for someone not to be white. White people don't need an excuse to appear on the screen. Why do people of color need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Awwwvenger View Post

What's it about?
    I'm looking at the impact of the Ebola crisis on feelings of community belonging and identity formation. My population is a local Liberian immigrant community.

Mighty Member

That's what I'm saying. I think they just do it because they want to appeal to a wider demographic, which, I get money wise. they gotta make their bottom dollar and gotta get a wdie audience for the movies. I dislike and disagree with it, but I get it.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-07-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Nuh-uh

I've been interested to see how much in common LGBT comic fans have with LGBT people of faith. Both seem to go through a similar progression (especially when talking within the group):

I’m SO angry.
    then
    Who’s LGBT in the Bible/Comics?
    then
    How do any of these stories reflect my experience as LGBT?
    then
    How does my experience as LGBT shed light on any of these characters or these stories and add to everyone's understanding?
    then
    Great story! LGBT theme? didn't notice. but did you see that double-page battle and the surprise ending?!

during every stage, though, in talking with others there's the element of "um, yes LGBT people exist as part of this community and we are entitled to full participation without downplaying our identity."

The big advantage in the comic world, of course, is that there is continual change and development that can be revolutionary.

Mighty Member

So, as a straight guy, I'd really like to be educated more on this. I don't have any LGBT friends (not because I have a problem with them, But I live in the south, so they're either not around or closeted...not that I blame them).

How big is your secularity to your identity? I ask, because for me, being straight isn't really a big deal. I understand that my orientation is what is considered "socially acceptable" or "normal" so I don't get persecuted, so that may effect this, but for me, my orientation isn't a big part of my identity. It just is what is. Same goes for my race. I identify more with my gender than anything, but even that's kind of a moot point because the things I look for in characters are deeper than that. I like characters that I can connect with more on an emotional level than a physical one. I like characters like nova and kamala because they speak to the kid to me and Spiderman because he represents doing the right thing and growing up and evolving in a lot of ways.

I guess what I'm saying is how much of your identity is defined by your sexuality? and do you want LGBT characters because YOU want to see yourself, or do you want them there because the marvel universe should be a reflection of the real world?

That's what I'm saying. I think they just do it because they want to appeal to a wider demographic, which, I get money wise. they gotta make their bottom dollar and gotta get a wdie audience for the movies. I dislike and disagree with it, but I get it.
    Are you saying it's bad that characters can be played by people of color without their skin color being an issue in the story?

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    I'm looking at the impact of the Ebola crisis on feelings of community belonging and identity formation. My population is a local Liberian immigrant community.
    So it's gonna be a feel-good sort of fluff piece.

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

"LOOK HOW GAY HE IS! LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT HIM KISS THIS MAN.
    I'd love to read that in a text box. Best piece of exposition ever. I'd cut out the panel and frame it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    I'd love to read that in a text box. Best piece of exposition ever. I'd cut out the panel and frame it.
    Same. That sounds awesome
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Mighty Member

Are you saying it's bad that characters can be played by people of color without their skin color being an issue in the story?
    I'm saying that someones skin color is as much part of their visual identity as their costume would be, and I can't think of any other reason they would change someones race other than "we want to appeal to x-demographic"

Well, you did just quote two different people that aren't giving you crap for your selection, so it's not everyone. Progress!
    It was definitely not directed at anyone specific, but rather the divisive mentality in general. For example, I loved the hell out of the All-New, All-Different Captain America title, but I'd be damned if I could find a thread on the internet that didn't have a discussion deviate and become about his race or "pandering".

And someone saying they support a title or character always seems weird to me. Do you - not you specifically, Prince of Orphans, the general you - do you not read or enjoy those comics you buy? I buy a comic because it seems like something I would enjoy, not because I want to put cash into a Societal Betterment Slot Machine.
    I'm largely the same way, but admittedly, I do this with characters I'm really attached to personally, which I'm sure is true for many. Sometimes it's less about investing in something you enjoy, and more about investing in something you want to enjoy.

For some, when you're limited to voting with your wallet and can either encourage the exposure of your favourite character or send a message to Marvel that they shouldn't bother with this character. It's especially true for characters not as popular who go years in between their titles launching. I can't blame people for thinking this way at all.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

I'm saying that someones skin color is as much part of their visual identity as their costume would be, and I can't think of any other reason they would change someones race other than "we want to appeal to x-demographic"
    There doesn't need to be a reason for a person of color to play a "white" role.

I mean, do you stop and think "why is that person white!?!" every time a white actor comes on screen? Why think that way about people of color?

Spectacular Member

so, lgbt readers are under no obligation to educate straight people, but let's make a poll asking for straight readers to educate lgbt readers. let's create this thread, but any time a straight asks any question lets ridicule it or refuse to answer and send em away to google. this isn't an instance of cis readers butting in to give their two cents, you asked them what their opinions were. and then attempted to answer it for them in the most insulting answer possible. this entire thread was rudely done and is in poor taste.

Mighty Member

There doesn't need to be a reason for a person of color to play a "white" role.

I mean, do you stop and think "why is that person white!?!" every time a white actor comes on screen? Why think that way about people of color?
    Um, I don't ask why an actors white if the CHARACTERS white. Like I said, it's part of the visual identity of a character so in a way, it does sort of define them. I'd be just as concerned if they made luke cage black or if they made shang chi native American.