Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Indie Superhero Comic Recommendations

Looking at breaking away from Marvel and DC since both of them really don't have anything going for me story wise so I was thinking about checking out some non-mainstream comics. I've recently been getting into Invincible, pretty good comic IMO. I was wondering if any of you here can recommend me some good independent superhero comics?

If you dig Invincible youll probably like Savage Dragon.

Stretching "superheros" a little on some, but:

Spawn
    Top Cow books - Witchblade, The Darkness, Cyber Force etc
    Valiant books - XO Manowar, Harbinger, Bloodshot etc etc
    Mignola-verse - Hellboy, BPRD, Abe Sapien etc
    Dark Horse' Black Sky stuff - Captain Midnight, Ghost, X etc
    Dynamo 5
    Glory by Keatinge and Campbell
    Supreme by Moore and later Larsen
    Bloodstrike by Seeley
    Jupiters Legacy
    Butcher Baker
    Godland
    The Boys
    Sex
    Green Hornet by Wagner and Waid
    Iredeemable
    Incorruptable

And if youve not checked out Wildstorms output under DC then thats worth reading. Authority, WildCATS 3.0, DV8, Tom Strong, Top 10 etc
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 05-30-2014 at 03:18 PM.

If you have read Invincible how about checking out The Astounding Wolf-Man (Kirkman @ Image)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    If you have read Invincible how about checking out The Astounding Wolf-Man (Kirkman @ Image)
    How is it?

BANNED

Thanks on the recommendations btw

BTW how is Project Superpowers? Is it worth checking out also?

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    How is it?
    Think all the fun of early day Spider-Man with less cheese, more bling and supernatural nasties all existing in a Superhero infested world.

Valiant's Rai only has 2 issues out and is looking good so far.
    Pull List: Star Trek/Planet of the Apes, Ragnarok, Escape from New York, Rai and Transformers Drift.

Easy answers would probably be the Valiant universe (X-O Manowar Harbinger), perhaps some of the Gold Key books at Dynamite (Magnus Robot Fighter, Turok, Doctor Spektor) or the Dark Horse superheroes.

Buuuut how far removed from traditional superheroes are you willing to go? If you can tolerate some weirder interpretations, then you should absolutely consider getting some of the recent Extreme Studios relaunches. They're old Rob Liefeld characters from 90s Image series, but completely reinvented by indie talents. Although you don't need to know the originals, I never read them and got these new versions perfectly fine.
    Joe Keatinge wrote the Glory relaunch, with Ross Campbell on art. Very gory, expressive, cartoony. Glory herself looks like no superhero you'll ever find at the Big 2, she's built like a brickhouse. Pretty straightforward but very fun if you can stand some graphic violence. Plus it's only 2 trades so easy to read.

Even weirder is the Prophet relaunch, written by Brandon Graham and several artists. It's set millenia after the Liefeld series, humanity has almost died out and you follow a clone of Prophet who needs to re-start the human race. It's hardcore sci-fi, hyper inventive stuff, utterly bananas and kind of wondrous to behold. No idea what the plot is doing but it's a treat every month. This is only tangentially related to superheroes though; one of the old Liefeld characters makes an appearance in this series as a collection of several glowing orbs of energy. That's some reinvention for ya. :P Prophet's still going, will probably finish at 6 or maaaaybe 7 trade collections. Highly recommended, but check out some previews first because like I said, it's barely related to superheroics anymore.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

BANNED

I like Project SuperPower ok, also Kirby Genesis, Superbia, Sidekicks...

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Gladstone's School for World Conquerors Vol 1 was released by Image a while ago and went to 6 issues. Vol 2 was Kickstarter. It's like the Sky High movie but for teen villains. Fun book that mixed in elements from anime, pro-wrestling, and superheroes.

I read the 0 issue for The Standard from Comixtribe and it looks neat enough to try. Sign up for their newsletter and you can get it and a couple other superheroy sampler issues for free. The Standard character is a golden age boyscout Superman type, and flashbacks of his history are written old school. The Standard retired and his sidekick turned protege turned the new Standard basically went Booster Gold. Events of the 0 issue bring the original Standard out of retirement to try to take care of things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    Gladstone's School for World Conquerors Vol 1 was released by Image a while ago and went to 6 issues. Vol 2 was Kickstarter. It's like the Sky High movie but for teen villains. Fun book that mixed in elements from anime, pro-wrestling, and superheroes.

I read the 0 issue for The Standard from Comixtribe and it looks neat enough to try. Sign up for their newsletter and you can get it and a couple other superheroy sampler issues for free. The Standard character is a golden age boyscout Superman type, and flashbacks of his history are written old school. The Standard retired and his sidekick turned protege turned the new Standard basically went Booster Gold. Events of the 0 issue bring the original Standard out of retirement to try to take care of things.
    From the sound of things this has a really cool silver age mixed with modern age feel to it.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    From the sound of things this has a really cool silver age mixed with modern age feel to it.
    Yup. The art was a little rough, but I'm curious to see where they go with the concept.

The Victories. If you don't mind some heavy stuff, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The Victories. If you don't mind some heavy stuff, though.
    Out of curiosity, what kind of heavy stuff?

Well, if you don't consider Vertigo DC (it's a DC imprint, some people think it's indie, and some people don't) Then I highly recommend Astro City, kurt busiek kills it every single time.

I also recommend archie/red circle's the fox. I know it's an archie book, but it's pretty interesting. Paul Patton jr. is the superhero I want marvel to let Peter Parker become. He's fun, clever, resourceful, all while having a wife and two children. It's just a 5 issue miniseries. I recommend getting the digital version on comixology I don't know why archie is futzing around pushing back the release date for the trade. It was supposed to come out in may, then june, now amazon says july.

There's also archie's new crusaders. It's about a group of teenage superheroes who learn how to master their powers, these kids are the children of the mighty crusaders, archie's version of the justice league/avengers. It's a great book. It's like teen titans without all the angst. I really like it too. That trade has been released, and a sort of sequel, New Crusaders legacy, is out now too.