Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Peter on his toes a majority of the time. Being put into situations where you see how awkward it is for him. Stuff like that.

A major point of Peter and Carlie's relationship was that Carlie was understanding to Peter bailing on her a lot of times. To be honest there wasn't any drama in their relationship outside of Peter lying to her, which did show how boring it was.

I just remember what Kurt Busiek said that it's always more interesting to see Peter be with the wrong girl and struggle in the relationship
    It might have been more interesting to see Peter in a relationship with Greer Grant(Tigra) as that might have made for an interesting relationship as she had a dual role as a Police Officer and a Heroine protecting the peace. What would make Greer unique was the fact that she could have been Marvel's first Anti-Catwoman heroine if Gerry Conway had moved her over to Spider-Man's world after her initial The Cat mini series had ended it 4-5 issue run in 1972 as she might have avoided being turned into Tigra. Conway might have succeeded where the initial writer of the Cat series had failed, which was make The Cat into an interesting character in her own right.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 08-05-2015 at 11:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Considering they were intending to introduce Gwen Stacy, and for her to become Peter's girlfriend (and she might as well have had "future girlfriend" tattooed on her forehead when she first showed up), I don't really see why you feel the need to make this comparison between MJ's "introduction" into the narrative and Carlie's.
    Because it's the same thing. You're introducing a love interest all the same. Whether its how perfect she is, how awesome she is, how beautiful she is, the argument at the time against Carlie was still the same, that they were trying to sell her to the audience. Clearly not in MJ's case because she was supposed to be a spoiler, which I'm curious if anyone actually in the audience knew at the time, or if it was just introducing a new love interest to them, and for Gwen fans would still be seen as competition.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 08-05-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Because it's the same thing. You're introducing a love interest all the same. Whether its how perfect she is, how awesome she is, how beautiful she is, the argument at the time against Carlie was still the same, that they were trying to sell her to the audience. Clearly not in MJ's case because she was supposed to be a spoiler, which I'm curious if anyone actually in the audience knew at the time, or if it was just introducing a new love interest to them, and for Gwen fans would still be seen as competition.
    But MJ wasn't intended to be a love interest. And Peter didn't even want to meet her.

The circumstances behind MJ's introduction and Carlie's introduction were radically different. You can say they were selling these characters to the audience (which, of course they were, but what people are trying to say is that they did a crap job selling Carlie to the audience because OMD), but they were meant to fulfill different roles.

MJ wasn't supposed to be Peter's "ONE TRUE LOVE." She was originally presented as a ditzy party girl who didn't give a crap about anyone not named Mary Jane Watson. This is why her showing concern at the end of "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" (which was about 7 years after MJ's "Face it, tiger" introduction) was seen as such a shock. (Sure, in retrospect and with much deeper characterization these days, it shouldn't be a surprise that she exhibited grief over the death of a friend and concern towards the boyfriend of said dead friend. But characterization wasn't particularly deep in that era.)

With Carlie, it seems like (speaking generally here) "this is Peter's girlfriend now" was the order of the day. And given the comments Slott has made, they knew the audience would hate her because they would hate anyone after OMD. And they just sort of went with it. You can make the argument that she wasn't given a fair shake. That Marvel tossed her aside at the first available possibility. But it's important to note that Carlie was an active member of the supporting cast for more issues than Gwen Stacy was a living member of the supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    With Carlie, it seems like (speaking generally here) "this is Peter's girlfriend now" was the order of the day. And given the comments Slott has made, they knew the audience would hate her because they would hate anyone after OMD. And they just sort of went with it. You can make the argument that she wasn't given a fair shake. That Marvel tossed her aside at the first available possibility. But it's important to note that Carlie was an active member of the supporting cast for more issues than Gwen Stacy was a living member of the supporting cast.
    That can not be stressed enough.
    They flat out planned for Carlie to be the sacrificial lamb and never acknowledged how bad of a set-up it was.
    Carlie wouldn't have struggled had she been introduced an issue or 2 later. But her character instead will always be tied in with OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    She was doomed because of that as many hate OMD.

Poor girl.

Sorta like how Anya suffered because of the issues with Mayday.
    Parker Luck. It's now evolved into a curse on all your houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Parker Luck. It's now evolved into a curse on all your houses.
    We've known that since Marvel put a hit out on the Stacys.

Empty is thy hand!

She was smart, competent, and a pretty good match for Peter. I liked her a lot, but the fans who can't get over OMD just aren't having it. It's a shame, and I'm fairly certain that no new romantic partners will get a fair shake because they're not Mary Jane. Oh well.

I would definitely like to see more of her, and as much as I didn't like the issues he was in, I also think that Alpha needs to make a return and have his story move forward.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    That can not be stressed enough.
    They flat out planned for Carlie to be the sacrificial lamb and never acknowledged how bad of a set-up it was.
    Carlie wouldn't have struggled had she been introduced an issue or 2 later. But her character instead will always be tied in with OMD.
    Mary Jane wasn't introduced with the subtext of "This is who will be replacing Gwen", while Carlie served as an example of how OMD was done to allow Peter to date other women. She was designed specifically to be a replacement for Mary Jane. It's bad enough to have someone who is just a love interest, but to have someone who is there to be either the "replacement", or the cause of a love triangle, just reflects poorly on the intent for the character. So I can't say I'm really going to miss her.

But to answer the OP's question, I think we'll see her again, but only for within the duration of Slott's book. Although, that's mostly because of my own speculation. I'm anticipating one more Doctor Octopus story. Okay, he's in Renew Your Vows, so I mean something more like continuing threads relevant to Otto from Goblin Nation and Spider-Verse. There's also how Otto's body hasn't been found, and given how that was from the Stunner story, which set up some things like Peter having a doctorate and in turn the foundation of Parker Industries, I'm guessing that Otto's body is meant to play a part in a story. Since Carlie was the one who saw that his body was missing, I could see her being relevant to that arc. Maybe some other stuff, but that one especially is where I could see her coming back. But there are a few too many variables going into that.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    She was smart, competent, and a pretty good match for Peter. I liked her a lot, but the fans who can't get over OMD just aren't having it. It's a shame, and I'm fairly certain that no new romantic partners will get a fair shake because they're not Mary Jane. Oh well.

I would definitely like to see more of her, and as much as I didn't like the issues he was in, I also think that Alpha needs to make a return and have his story move forward.
    Why should Mary Jane's fans get over One More Day when people aren't "getting over" Carlie? It's okay if you like her, but don't go right around and berate people for not doing something you don't feel inclined to do.
    Last edited by Phantom Roxas; 08-06-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I don't have any feelings towards the character one way or another really. Haven't missed her though truth be told but if/when she comes back I'd be ok with it.

I definitely feel sorry for me for having to have read about her for so long. Also it's not the marriage either. She was just a bad character. I would have rather him have dated his roommate that Chameleon slept with or especially the reporter from the DB that Hobgoblin loved. I liked her a lot. Waste of some good characters but Charlie wasn't one

Not in the slightest.

Astonishing Member

Carlie was actually a interesting new supporting character in the stories.
    I liked that she was clever thus making Peter and Carlie interactions well worth reading.
    Her job as a crime scene investigator added cool stories possibilites to the stories as well.
    Many fans just not liking the character because she was created after OMD as the next romantic interest look quite unfair.
    If Spider Man comics were just to have one main romantic interest,then in that aspect Betty Brant would still be Peter Parker girlfriend.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Carlie was actually a interesting new supporting character in the stories.
    I liked that she was clever thus making Peter and Carlie interactions well worth reading.
    Her job as a crime scene investigator added cool stories possibilites to the stories as well.
    Many fans just not liking the character because she was created after OMD as the next romantic interest look quite unfair.
    If Spider Man comics were just to have one main romantic interest,then in that aspect Betty Brant would still be Peter Parker girlfriend.
    It might have been more interesting to see Peter in a relationship with Greer Grant(Tigra) as that might have made for an interesting relationship as she had a dual role as a Police Officer and a Heroine protecting the peace. What would make Greer unique was the fact that she could have been Marvel's first Anti-Catwoman heroine if Gerry Conway had moved her over to Spider-Man's world after her initial The Cat mini series had ended it 4-5 issue run in 1972 as she might have avoided being turned into Tigra. Conway might have succeeded where the initial writer of the Cat series had failed, which was make The Cat into an interesting character in her own right.

Besides that, Greer was Spider-Man's first female crime fighting partner, which is now forgotten. Greer could certainly take Carlie's place as she holds a background in Microbiology which is tied to her work as a forensic DNA scientist who does DNA profiles for cold case files. Afterall, Greer is a member of the NYPD. Thus, Greer could assume Carlie's place in that regard.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 08-07-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Spectacular Member

I didn't start reading ASM until #700, but had caught up with pretty much everything from #600 onwards within a few months. Something like OMD and BND didn't have the same impact on me as I'm sure it did to anyone reading at the time, to me they were just stories that led up to where I picked up the series (not saying I enjoy OMD though). In saying that, my favorite Pete is one married to MJ, but on the other hand Carlie was part of the mix when I was first introduced to the character, so I have no ill feelings about her. I wouldn't mind her coming back merely as a buddy of Pete's. But like pretty much everyone else in the world, I think he needs to be reunited with MJ before they worry about Carlie.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    How can she return when she died on the way to her home planet?
    Sorry in advance guys. Just couldn't resist.

Last edited by Ivan P91; 08-08-2015 at 05:16 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post

Besides that, Greer was Spider-Man's first female crime fighting partner, which is now forgotten. Greer could certainly take Carlie's place as she holds a background in Microbiology which is tied to her work as a forensic DNA scientist who does DNA profiles for cold case files. Afterall, Greer is a member of the NYPD. Thus, Greer could assume Carlie's place in that regard.
    When you have to copy-paste the same post because people didn't acknowledge it before, you're not going to help yourself. You're the only one who insists on the Peter/Greer ship, so repeating it isn't going to work. Why even bother to quote people, when the person you're quoting said nothing relevant to what you're copy-pasting?