Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the ANAD Marvel Universe's designation?

Serious question, since I haven't heard anything about this. Will they still call it "Earth-616"? Or will it be renumbered as "Earth-0" or something? Maybe simply "New Earth"?
    Formerly the guy with the Black Panther picture

BANNED

New Earth of course.
    Marvel comics has always desired to get rid of Earth 616 and the 616 Marvel Universe.
    After 76 years they finally do so.

That is why I will celebrate every year June 16 the 616 Marvel Universe Day!

BANNED

Simple answer is we don't know yet. Maybe we'll know after the end of Secret Wars, or maybe Marvel will never assign it a name/number and fans will use their own name for it. I hope it has an Earth number, just like it has in the past.

I'd bet money it's going to be 616 still.

Given, that Marvel insist that this is not a reboot, then i guess that there is going to be a interview where they say that the number hasnt changed.

Spectacular Member

Probably no officially assigned number. And it wouldn't make sense for it to be Earth 616 if there's only one universe post-SW.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jinjonator View Post
    Probably no officially assigned number. And it wouldn't make sense for it to be Earth 616 if there's only one universe post-SW.
    If you have 1,000 ships assigned a number 0001-1000, and all the ships are destroyed except for ship 0616, does that make it illogical to retain its designation as ship 0616? Since the universe designations are primarily used for referential purposes by readers and changing a universe's designation would serve no purpose other than to unnecessarily complicate the matter, the designation should remain unchanged in order to maintain the distinction between it and the other past universes. Of course, if you buy into the prevailing multiversal theory, then alternate universes would immediately start being formed as soon as the new single universe is set on its course.

Spectacular Member DuskHarlekin's Avatar

It will be call what it has always been called the Marvel Universe. Marvel don't really use the 616 term that much cause it's doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't even really makes sense, who in the universe is handing out arbitrary numbers and letter to all these infinite worlds? What system are all the reality hoppers using where they all get 616 for this one universes? If there is infinite worlds does that mean there is a world with so many numbers and letters that I wouldn't be able to fit it into a post on CBR?

The truth is, the 616 designation was started as something of a joke in the first place. Alan Davis thought it was funny that, any time a story features multiple worlds, the one we're familiar with is always Earth-1 or Earth-A or something similar. He decided to play with that by giving the familiar Earth a bigger number that really set it as just one world out of many, nothing particularly special about it. Other writers decided to use the 616 designation just because it was there.

Over the years, it's become mostly a fan thing. Editorial never particularly cared about it, and in fact, they dislike it as being confusing for readers not familiar with the term. They prefer to just call it the Marvel Universe.

It's doubtful that we'll see a designation used after Secret Wars. If one is eventually used, honestly, I would bet on it being 616 still, just because, well, that's what today's writers grew up with.

I'm pretty sure someone said (Brevoort?) it will still be 616.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Does it really matter? Unless it's stated that a comic is set in an AU, one has to assume that the comic is set in the mainstream Marvel U. That all we need to know.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    If you have 1,000 ships assigned a number 0001-1000, and all the ships are destroyed except for ship 0616, does that make it illogical to retain its designation as ship 0616? Since the universe designations are primarily used for referential purposes by readers and changing a universe's designation would serve no purpose other than to unnecessarily complicate the matter, the designation should remain unchanged in order to maintain the distinction between it and the other past universes. Of course, if you buy into the prevailing multiversal theory, then alternate universes would immediately start being formed as soon as the new single universe is set on its course.
    The 616 "ship" was destroyed. End of Secret Wars #1.

Not quite sure what people have against it. Scared of a number?

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    I'd bet money it's going to be 616 still.

Likewise. And I think for a good many readers dropping that would not be popular.

I know that some people find the notion a little confusing. That we not looking at 'Earth 1' or whatever, like the Distinguished Competition. But really what possible right does anybody have to assume that the Marvel Universe *should* be the first and foremost universe.

'616' was a reference number. It doesn't denote importance or any grand scheme. It's Reference Number. A Packing Code. A Barcode.

Granted, the organisation which stamped the designation on it have been destroyed. Everything has. But like the Ship analogy above why should it lose that number? It doesn't stop being what it is just because of everything else which has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post

Not quite sure what people have against it. Scared of a number?

I honestly have no idea.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

It's a bit of dorky and insular jargon, and not really relevant to the stories. The universe could be called "Dave" and it wouldn't matter, Spider-Man would still be late with his rent.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist