Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I guess I thought that if Lana had known, the subject would have come up sometime in Pak's run when she and Clark spent so much time together. When her only response is "Got it, thanks," and then a kind of wistful reflection about how her Clark is with the "eagles" now (or something like that), it felt more like Pak's take on Lana's reaction to Superman and Wonder Woman being a couple. In any event, Pak left it kind of ambiguous as to who knows what about who.
    And you don't think her that her complete lack of reaction is somewhat surprising?
    I mean, "got it thanks" wouldn't be my gut reaction if I just learned my prom date was dating Will Smith, even if I knew she became a famous actress.
    No, she's clearly "thanking" Lois in a somewhat sarcastic manner, a variation of "yeah, yeah, whatever".
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    And you don't think her that her complete lack of reaction is somewhat surprising?
    I mean, "got it thanks" wouldn't be my gut reaction if I just learned my prom date was dating Will Smith, even if I knew she became a famous actress.
    No, she's clearly "thanking" Lois in a somewhat sarcastic manner, a variation of "yeah, yeah, whatever".
    No, she's not "clearly" doing anything. If she's meant to have such a big reaction, then why didn't Pak feature it in Action during all of Clark and Lana's time together? She's Lana. She always seems so cool as a cucumber the way Pak writes her, and it would blow Clark's cover to say anything more, so I think her zen response is neither here nor there. Besides, if this is old news to her, why the need for all the reflection: "It's all cool. I dated Clark in high school. Loooong time ago. We're just friends. Not super friends. You're not just Good Ol' Clark anymore, are you? You're in a whole 'nother world. Yeah, go on buddy. Fly with the eagles. I just hope they appreciate what they've got." I'm not saying I'm absolutely right either. We're both just offering interpretations based on impressions of an unclear text.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    No, she's not "clearly" doing anything. If she's meant to have such a big reaction, then why didn't Pak feature it in Action during all of Clark and Lana's time together? She's Lana. She always seems so cool as a cucumber the way Pak writes her, and it would blow Clark's cover to say anything more, so I think her zen response is neither here nor there. Besides, if this is old news to her, why the need for all the reflection: "It's all cool. I dated Clark in high school. Loooong time ago. We're just friends. Not super friends. You're not just Good Ol' Clark anymore, are you? You're in a whole 'nother world. Yeah, go on buddy. Fly with the eagles. I just hope they appreciate what they've got." I'm not saying I'm absolutely right either. We're both just offering interpretations based on impressions of an unclear text.
    Because she's not meant to have such a big reaction, since she already knows about it. The entire AC arc happens after Forever Evil, while the relationship was outed before that. She had some time to stomach the concept after learning about it of screen.
    And being aware of something is different than witnessing it. I am aware of nuclear bombs, but I wouldn't react to seeing one exploding with casual dismay. In Watchmen, every one is aware that Manhattan is basically God, that doesn't prevent people from reacting badly to see him do God stuff.
    It's one thing to know Clark is friend with superpeople, it's another to see 10 godlike being come to his aid.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Because she's not meant to have such a big reaction, since she already knows about it. The entire AC arc happens after Forever Evil, while the relationship was outed before that. She had some time to stomach the concept after learning about it of screen.
    You misunderstood me. I'm saying that if Lana is supposed to have a big reaction to the news, then why did Pak decide it would be best to relegate her reaction to her ex-boyfriend and best friend's new lover to what readers assume about off page events? It seems like that kind of revelation would have been worth talking about at some point during Pak's whole intro to Lana Lang arc in Action. Why put it off until Lana can only internalize her reactions when she sees Clark with Diana? I would have thought Lana would have worked through her feelings already, too. Yet, the way she reacts to seeing them together doesn't seem like she taken the time to "stomach" it at all.

It's one thing to know Clark is friend with superpeople, it's another to see 10 godlike being come to his aid.
    She's never seen Superman with the Justice League before? I get being overwhelmed with seeing something epic in person, but that's not what Lana's reaction suggests. Lana's reaction is much more immediately intimate and personal. If, indeed, Lana had processed her feelings about Clark dating Wonder Woman before, then it sure doesn't seem like she ever fully resolved what those feelings were. The stream of consciousness internal dialogue is the kind of detailed self-soothing I would not expect from someone who had worked through her feelings long before that moment. If it was simply a matter of seeing something extraordinary in real life that she had only imagined before, then I assume her inner thoughts would reflect that. They don't. It's like she has to start at the very beginning of whatever thought process she would have had after hearing the news for the first time rather than reminding herself of what she had come to terms with long ago.

Nice preview. Clark rigging the phones to Lana and Diana was a nice touch. Shows the trust he has in them. Plus a sign that our Clark does think ahead.

Fantastic Member

Will the character assassination of Lois ever stop?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    I hope it will stop with Johns...or I give up on lois in new 52

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Nice preview. Clark rigging the phones to Lana and Diana was a nice touch. Shows the trust he has in them. Plus a sign that our Clark does think ahead.
    well he called Lois in smww#8 and the last issue of superman he ask Lois to do what she is doing
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-02-2014 at 08:41 PM.

He's a clever, clever boy...
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

436 posts and counting... TheFearlessDefender89's Avatar

That's what I've been wondering too, but hold on for the ride, 'cause I don't think they're even near finished wrecking her standing in the Nu52.
    Pull List: Harley Quinn, Superman Unchained, She-Hulk, Ms.Marvel, The Fearless Defenders (R.I.P.)
    *~ValkyrieXAnnabelle~*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheFearlessDefender89 View Post
    That's what I've been wondering too, but hold on for the ride, 'cause I don't think they're even near finished wrecking her standing in the Nu52.
    doubt she will ever get a solo, only if johns fix...

lol at folks saying clark doesn't trust lois...

Quote Originally Posted by Spair View Post
    He's a clever, clever boy...
    He is, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I hope it will stop with Johns...or I give up on lois in new 52

well he called Lois in smww#8 and the last issue of superman he ask Lois to do what she is doing
    What's your point? I am not talking about Lois. Why do you think me saying something obvious re Diana and Lana is some affront to Lois? If he'd rigged the phone to Lois and Diana would you jump up on Lana's behalf?

And obviously Lois is going to be used in a surprising way. She will no doubt have a part in helping save Superman. Greg Pak has more or less confirmed she's featuring largely in the Action Annual and she's in the BM/SM book. Saying she's being character assassinated when you have no idea what the story is going to be is premature and jumping to conclusions. And calling Lois in #8 was not about trust...but the creature taking over and then calling her in to face him as he tried to suppress the creature by will was a tad reckless imo to just say write a story when he could have killed her. He's saying there is a big fat lie between them for her protection ( doesn't seem a problem with Lana) and yet he drags her in when he could easily go out of control and kill her. That makes no sense to me. Especially if what he is becoming has no cure and he is unpredictable. But then was it all him? Or was it Brainiac using Lois to get close to him? But we know he cares for Lois and trusts her that goes without saying. As he does Batman, Lana, Lois, Diana, Jimmy, Perry etc.
    Last edited by hellacre; 06-02-2014 at 10:22 PM.

What's your point? I am not talking about Lois. Why do you think me saying something obvious re Diana and Lana is some affront to Lois? If he'd rigged the phone to Lois and Diana would you jump up on Lana's behalf?
    The phone rigging isn't an affront to Lois, I agree. If she were in on the secret, she'd be included as well.

And obviously Lois is going to be used in a surprising way. She will no doubt have a part in helping save Superman.
    I'd like to believe that, and because I'm trying to adopt a wait-and-see attitude I'm not judging the whole story yet. However, I can't say that I'm not very pessimistic about the degree to which the story turns around in a positive way for Lois. What would your reaction be if Lois ultimately isn't written to be helpful in the end?

Greg Pak has more or less confirmed she's featuring largely in the Action Annual and she's in the BM/SM book.
    Lois Lane is the first lady of Action Comics and arguably the most significant Superman supporting character for 70+ years. I'm sick and tired of people thinking that a one shot here and an appearance for a month or two there in other books like Batman/Superman is anything close to the amount of exposure and character development she deserves. So, yay, for the Annual and for Batman/Superman, but it's not even close to enough.

Saying she's being character assassinated when you have no idea what the story is going to be is premature and jumping to conclusions.
    So, if it turns out that no clarification is ever made that Lois saying she'd betray Clark's secret in Lobdell's Superman issue and not believing in Superman like Lana did in Smallville were both the result of her psionic powers or Brainiac, what should one think about her character and those that wrote her? That said, I'm more worried about the bungling of Diana's character. First, she's made to look like a reckless idiot when she looked for Clark without a disguise and overlooked Clark's Metropolis apartment in the search. Then, following her discovery that Lois' eyes were glowing, she's made to look careless for her neglect and inaction.

And calling Lois in #8 was not about trust...but the creature taking over and then calling her in to face him as he tried to suppress the creature by will was a tad reckless imo to just say write a story when he could have killed her.
    I don't think one can definitively say that trust wasn't involved when Superman asked Lois to speak to the world for him. Reckless or not, he trusted Lois to tell the world the truth about him, and based on this preview she did just what he asked.

He's saying there is a big fat lie between them for her protection ( doesn't seem a problem with Lana) and yet he drags her in when he could easily go out of control and kill her.
    The reason it's not a problem with Lana has nothing to do with not trusting Lois. When Lana learned Clark's secret (did he even tell her or did she find out?), he wasn't Superman yet. He didn't know what he would become and didn't have enemies. He can't take the secret back from Lana now that his role in the world has grown, he can only do his best to keep her safe. So, the secret Clark would be choosing to tell Lois would be of a greater weight, in his mind, then what it was back when Lana learned it. So far in the New 52, it's basically been Clark's fear for Lois's safety which has kept him from opening up. It's not because he does't trust her.

But then was it all him? Or was it Brainiac using Lois to get close to him? But we know he cares for Lois and trusts her that goes without saying. As he does Batman, Lana, Lois, Diana, Jimmy, Perry etc.
    What are you suggesting? That Brainiac invaded Superman's mind to convince him to get Lois to come to the facility so that he, through Lois, could get close enough to him to get him to leave his prison? I don't think the text backs that up. If Braniac is powerful enough to mind control Superman remotely, he wouldn't need Lois to increase her proximity. Why would Brainiac bother with engineering an unnecessary faux conversation about what should be told to the public, if he already knew what he wanted the public to think was going on and could have made Lois say it without the elaborate set up? If the idea was to get footage of Superman getting violent with a friend, again if Brainiac has the ability to manipulate Superman's mind enough to make him ask for Lois, surely he is powerful enough to make Superman leave the prison and get similar footage. Finally, if Brainiac was behind all of it -- Superman's request, Lois' visit, Superman's breakdown -- then why was this his reaction to Superman's concerns and wishes?

Why would Brainiac mock the words and actions he is making Superman say and do? Until we know more about this Brainiac situation, I don't blame anyone for speculating and trying to make sense of the mystery. However, I do find it hard to understand how Brainiac could have been behind Superman's request for Lois to visit the prison and warn the public on his behalf.
    Last edited by misslane; 06-03-2014 at 01:36 AM.

That art looks great! Lana looks so much better here.

Its not character assassination because its not her. Don't know why this is so hard for people to understand, she's possessed. Hell, even throwing that out of account and imagining she was herself, this preview would still be a ridiculous example of character assassination because she's doing what Superman asked her to do.