Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I was hoping that Doomed would've been a two month event, but if it's good (and it has been so far) then I can't really complain. What gets to me, though, is that a couple of the Superman-related annual titles are going to be Doomed chapters, and I think that's not a great way to use annuals.

BANNED

well for me doomed is okay, nothing great. some inconsistency between the different writers, some issues filler and the doomed one shot was rather anti-climatic. from the events I'm reading eternal and original sin has been more consistent

Good action befitting the name, but my one complaint is that its high time we learn something about what's going on with Lois/Brainiac in regards to their goals. Its just lingered on too long now that its become an elephant in the room. I'm willing to go along with a mystery, but give us some hinting here and there. Understanding at least a little bit the why of her integrating herself into the Doomsday problem would go a long way at this point.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This event is killing the momentum of Pak's ACTION COMICS, for me. I'm really bored with it already.

I think its continuing on the themes Pak has been going on since his run started.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Sure the themes are still there but the fun and raw creativity from the past arc aren't really there.

Perhaps the story just feels sort of stagnant? It does develop a little in each issue, but the basic elements, tone, settings, characters, and conflict stay fairly similar. Superman was essentially already mostly Doomsday in the SM/WW contribution to the event's opening. Diana's pleading seems to have only allowed for a brief reset, and now we're pretty much back where it started. The Lois as Braniac storyline has moved along some, but since so little has been illuminated about her situation, and things like Wonder Woman learning Lois had glowing eyes was dropped for multiple issues, it feels like it's a bit stuck too. I think the only issue that felt like it gave the event more depth and life was the recent BM/SM one where the so far thinly developed Tower/Harrow angle was developed with a neat change in setting, serving as a cool stage to showcase new dynamics and reveal new information.

Its definitely in a stagnant spot, yes. I'd say that's true the past two issues. The last real thing of consequence happened in Batman/Superman in pulling Xa Du out of the Zone. The subsequent issues of Superman and Action read rather like filler.

Superman/Wonder Woman #9 though sounds promising with Kara and the Red Lanterns guesting.

Kolins's anatomy is pretty bad. Well, Kuder's is questionable at times as well, but the one panel with Lois where she has her hands at her mouth really bothers me.

I didn't find Pak's earlier run, plot-wise, to be all that memorable, but I think he's the best Superman writer right now because he nails the voice of Superman. As long as that continues, I'm good.

The past two weeks have been pretty dull compared to the first two weeks of the Doomed arc.

How about some spoilers for those of us that can't get the book till later?

If you want to, that is.

Doomed is starting to bore me too. The art was great though, I'd rather see this guy than Kuder.

The art was pretty good, but it had some rough patches. I'll still take Kuder. He's far more kinetic.
    As for a breakdown:
    spoilers:
    Lois and General Lane announce to the public that Superman is an enemy of the state due to his condition.

The military released Metallo and Atomic Skull to engage Superman, much to Lex and Steel's chagrin.

Lois uses some sort of mental suggestion on Metallo seemingly making him more open to sacrificing himself to stop Superman.

Steel finds Superman in a barren area, suggesting that the two go to the Moon together so he can start working on some treatments there, safe from everyone else.

Metallo and and Atomic Skull find Superman's location and attacks, but Atomic Skull seems more interested in attacking Steel for imprisoning him; in a kamikaze move Metallo detonates his ship and releases airborne kryptonite that it was carrying, the radiation of which kills him, and severely injures Superman. Over comm, Lex rails the military's move, noting that all they did was put the part of Superman that was still himself out commission. Now Doomsday is free to take over. Superman indeed then emerges in a heightened state of mutation.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-04-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's just the voice of this story is so all over the place, with it bouncing around title to title. It's weak stuff, and I think Pak is capable of telling such better stories on his own.

I'm enjoying the crossover. If Pak and Soule weren't so damn good, Doomed would probably be a terrible event as the concept is kinda trite. after all it's about the freaking plot device known as Doomsday.

Well John Corben is dead. I wonder if a more classic version of Metallo will be brought back. Maybe with Corben's consciousness and hatred for Supes.