Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How come nobody cares that much that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were retconned?

It disturbs me just how many so-called fans are selling-out and buying-in to Marvel's retcon boll-shite, thus guaranteeing that they will never be restored to their true heritage. I must be getting old, I remember just when they tried to pull this crap on Spiderman, make Peter Parker just a mere clone, and the resulting fan outrage gave Marvel a wake-up slap in the face. Now, it seems like nobody cares at all anymore. No wonder why the genuine Marvel Zombie passion is dying down...

BANNED

Caring about these 2 great marvel characters does not make you old.
    It makes you cool.

We care, we are choosing to ignore it, it'll get retconned back once they run out of ideas again. This is modern Marvel, retcon is the name of the game, they have to fit the comics in with the precious films franchise, even though it's not bringing in the sales.

BANNED

I won't lose sleep over it since Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Polaris were retconned into being Magneto's children in the first place.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I'd have to search threads, but I think many did care. You may have missed it. Also some just didn't accept the non-kid retcon and some figured they still have Fox X-Men for that.

BANNED

Well, first up, many did care. But it doesn't change anything, so why bother? Then again, the Magneto thing was a retcon so essentially they went back to their old origin which, if you ask me, isn't so bad. I prefer the High Evolutionary connection to be completely frank. And, all things considered, I think most people have more important things to do than scream at internet message boards about fictional characters' lives...

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

They needed their mutancy retconned so that when Rick Remender took over the x franchise and expelled all mutants into space Wanda and Quicksilver could remain on earth. But then Mike Marts left, the franchise went in a different direction and Remender quit, so who knows what they're going to do with their parentage now.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

I hear a lot of people complaining about this. But it's like the fourth time their parentage has been retconned, and it probably won't be the last, so I'm like... eh...

Some people care quite a bit. Other people remember it's all make believe and the Magneto thing was just as much of a retcon, and move on with their lives.

Neither group is any more or less fans than the other.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    And, all things considered, I think most people have more important things to do than scream at internet message boards about fictional characters' lives...
    We have a winner!

-Pav, who focuses on what he enjoys rather than what bothers him...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Some people care quite a bit. Other people remember it's all make believe and the Magneto thing was just as much of a retcon, and move on with their lives.

Neither group is any more or less fans than the other.
    Quoted for truth

BANNED

Those 2 characters are still being published? wow

I thought plenty of people cared. There was a bit of an uproar.

But ultimately, I think that as with just about any change to superheroes, many folks realize it's just not that big a deal. These kinds of changes happen all the time. I mean, Superman and Batman debuted before World War II and both wantonly slaughtered their foes, Peter Parker was a nerd that married a model, Reed Richards and Ben Grimm were WWII veterans and were working on beating the Russians into space....and so on.

It's just the nature of superhero comics from the Big Two. It's a formula...

Act 1: establish the characters
    Act 2: change the characters
    Act 3: return to act 1

Act 3 should be resutuon and the end, but these characters have become timeless...their stories won't ever end. So therefore, they'll always move backward at some point.

Recognizing this and accepting it does not make someone less of a true fan.

For me its not that I don't care (I'm not quicksilver's biggest fan) but its like ok whatever Marvel I have fanfiction./ Maybe they will retcon it maybe they wont but Marvel has used Wanda badly up until recently (House of M, Avengers Disassembled) so I have no faith and like I said I really don't like Quicksilver
    Truth is the best policy

i do care.