Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Shadow, #1

A ruthless cabal of magicians is searching for the secret to the Last Illusion, and they'll stop at nothing to achieve their goals. But the person who knew the most about the mysterious rite is dead, and he shared his secret with one man -- the Shadow! Now, the Shadow faces some of his strangest foes as he engages in a deadly game where he might be the hunter... or the hunted.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

i dunno what the story's like, but that's some beautiful art.

I've never read The Shadow before, but I love Cullen Bunn usually. Is this new reader accessible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I've never read The Shadow before, but I love Cullen Bunn usually. Is this new reader accessible?
    Supposed to be (I gather, with that $1 price tag).

And the artist is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Supposed to be (I gather, with that $1 price tag).
    I sort question how "new reader accessible" it really is considering how often they keep referencing the Bunn-written The Shadow #0 that came out a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I sort question how "new reader accessible" it really is considering how often they keep referencing the Bunn-written The Shadow #0 that came out a year ago.

Well, is The Shadow #0 new reader accessible? If it is in the digital store, I could snatch it up before looking into this new one. I have always been curious about Dynamite heroes, and a writer I am a big fan of could be the thing to help get me into it.
    My favorite part of Bunn is how many genres he can tackle. Good superhero work with Magneto, unique horror work with his minis like Wolf Moon and Empty Man, and great action/adventure and even western with Sixth Gun.

I would start with issue #0 and check it out, if the events there lead into #1 then great, if not than you can discard it and continue on with the new series. Personally I love the Shadow and own all of his stuff in TPB form and I'll be doing the same with this book once the trade is available.
    Http://theretroghost.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @GhostlyRetro - Posting anything & everything retro! Comics, toys, videogames, pics, thoughts, ramblings, ect....

Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyRetro View Post
    I would start with issue #0 and check it out, if the events there lead into #1 then great, if not than you can discard it and continue on with the new series. Personally I love the Shadow and own all of his stuff in TPB form and I'll be doing the same with this book once the trade is available.
    Y'know, since I never saw issue #0 and I don't do digital (I prefer to OWN my comic books and not just pay to have access that could suddenly vanish), maybe I won't buy the rest of the series and wait for a tpb collection (and hope that includes issue #0 with it). That way, I'm only out $1.00 for this first issue.

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Y'know, since I never saw issue #0 and I don't do digital (I prefer to OWN my comic books and not just pay to have access that could suddenly vanish), maybe I won't buy the rest of the series and wait for a tpb collection (and hope that includes issue #0 with it). That way, I'm only out $1.00 for this first issue.
    I seem to recall #0 having something to do with magicians, which is referenced in the solicitation text for #1. Maybe Bunn can answer it in his forum here on CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveGhosts View Post
    I seem to recall #0 having something to do with magicians, which is referenced in the solicitation text for #1. Maybe Bunn can answer it in his forum here on CBR.
    It's not a question of having Bunn"answer" something; it's a MATTER of that #0 issue from last year being repeatedly referenced in Shadow Volume 2 #1.

Page 4 of Shadow V.2 #1:
    After my recent altercation with them . . . *

* See The Shadow #0 - JR.
    After that there were repeated references to the Society of United Magicians as well as to the wife / widow of Harry Houdini (Mrs. Houdini even appeared in a flashback sequence).

There's nothing I need to "ask" Bunn. It's more like these repeated mentions are indicating YOU SHOULD HAVE READ ISSUE #0 YOU MORON!!!!

It's not a question of having Bunn"answer" something; it's a MATTER of that #0 issue from last year being repeatedly referenced in Shadow Volume 2 #1.

Page 4 of Shadow V.2 #1:
    After that there were repeated references to the Society of United Magicians as well as to the wife / widow of Harry Houdini (Mrs. Houdini even appeared in a flashback sequence).

There's nothing I need to "ask" Bunn. It's more like these repeated mentions are indicating YOU SHOULD HAVE READ ISSUE #0 YOU MORON!!!!
    Oh, how I miss the days of "* as seen in such-and-such #xx".
    It led me to try out books I would never have had otherwise.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Oh, how I miss the days of "* as seen in such-and-such #xx".
    It led me to try out books I would never have had otherwise.
    Yeah, but it is annoying when they reference a year old title that most comic book shops don't bother to order enough issues of to have any in the back issue sections. (And I don't care to buy a digital copy since I only have a desktop computer for access.)

It's just arrived in the Grim North.

So is it new reader accessible? Yes, you can get into this without having read #0, and even with no background to The Shadow, though obviously that will help. Dynamite runs the Shadow as a series of different stories not interconnected at all, so there are no story arcs to get into like there are on Marvel & DC books

As to the artwork - as per Dynamite the cover is great, the inside art leaves a lot to be desired. The script however looks to be top notch, roll on #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post

As to the artwork - as per Dynamite the cover is great, the inside art leaves a lot to be desired.
    I REALLY disagree with this statement. Timpano is a great artist who has some really visually striking layouts. I'd take his work over 3/4 the stuff put out by DC and Marvel.

Hi Ishmael,
    Fair play to you. I concur with the layouts and composition, but my problem is with the depiction of people especially their faces. It jars with me. I'm willing to hear from other people though and I'll take a look in the Big Box for some of his other stuff.