Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Superman TAS/ Superman Adventures overshadowed?

Anyone have thoughts on this show, it seems to get debunked by it's related shows, they even made a anniversary short and that seemed to get overshadowed by the batman anniversary short

Also has anyone checked out the rereleases of the Superman Adventures issues?

I was rewatching the show, I know people are mixed by the changes to Brainiacs original and it isn't the defintive Superman take but it was fun

Batman TAS was much better. And I don't even like Batman TAS. Not that Batman TAS was a bad show. I just find Bruce Timm's fan wankery unbearable.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I enjoyed the show for the most part.

I hated what they did with SUPERMAN in JL/JLU, which sucks because it really soured me against a show I would have loved.

Astonishing Member

It was a perfectly competent show for what it was, but in hindsight it's one of my least favorite portrayal of Superman, where he's basically Mr. Rogers in a cape.

Its hallmarks will always be its work with the villains. Most notably Brainiac, Lex, and Metallo. Superman himself though was completely bland.

There are a handful of episodes I really love, but it was one of the blandest portrayals of Superman I've ever seen. And don't get me started on dumbing down his powers.

Never read the companion comic, but I hear it's decent.

Yeah, gotta agree. I liked the show for what it was, but it wasn't amazing. Im not big on cartoons, but I enjoy watching them with my son, and I have a fondness for Young Justice. But the Superman animated was just okay. It doesnt get unfairly overshadowed by the Timm Batman, it's just that Timm's Batman was better.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

It was not as good as it could or should have been. I actually would much rather watch Ruby/Spears Superman series from 1988 as it was better made IMO. It is a shame that they couldn't continue doing them as the cost became to much for Ruby/Spears to handle for a second season. The ratings where very good as well and would have been picked up.

BANNED

They did the exact opposite of what they did with Batman TAS. Batman TAS was basically Bronze Age Batman with some Post-COIE things thrown in. The Superman TAS was based more on the terrible Post-Crisis era, an era in which Superman declined and became the #2 character at the #2 company instead of the #1 character in comics.

It never clicked for me. If Superman is the least interesting character in a show about him, then something is wrong there.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Superman, as others have stated, was pretty bland. We DID however get a rather enjoyable Lois and overall solid supporting cast. Interestingly enough, the women of Superman: TAS were quite diverse and entertaining. Special mention go to Kara, Livewire, and Maxima.

Jeez I guess as one of the few people who actually really enjoyed the show, I feel kind of obligated to defend it.
    I feel as though the show was one of the most faithful, complete and spot on Superman adaptations ever with excellent animation, excellent voice acting, and did a good job at showcasing Superman's great supporting cast and villains (the Daily Planet characters deserve special mention for me). I don't really see where Superman was "bland" as others have said and I like the fact that the show took on some more modern elements of Superman while still keeping some more classic elements from Superman as well. True he was extremely under powered but in the context of the show it worked out just fine because he was about on the same levels as his enemies.
    Some of the episodes were downright classic and very memorable, the the three that stand out to me were the introduction of Brainiac, introduction of Darkseid, and The Late Mr. Kent. The latter of which shows of the complexity of the Clark Kent persona and just how important it is. I can think of a lot of other episodes which also held a lot of thematic complexity and really showcases a lot of the things that I have always enjoyed about Superman.
    An overall great show that I can happily say is one of my favorite Superman adaptations and a great addition to the Superman mythos, that still holds up really well to this day.
    Bonus: Opening theme song was awesome!

Amazing Member

wow, a lot of no's, I'm cool with that, I still have a fondness for the show especially enjoyed some of the villains like Luminus, Bizzaro, Toyman, Metallo(his 1st 2 appearances) I feel it's unfair to compare his rogues gallery to batman's, especially considering Superman is supposed to be in the spotlight, I feel this show had a better balance between hero and villain than batman tas, in batman tas Batman almost always got overshadowed by the villains

I also enjoyed a depowered superman, he was just starting out his career afterall

I liked it, well enough, but a lot of it wasn't very good. Out of my DCAU collection, STAS is the series I re-visit the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    It was not as good as it could or should have been. I actually would much rather watch Ruby/Spears Superman series from 1988 as it was better made IMO. It is a shame that they couldn't continue doing them as the cost became to much for Ruby/Spears to handle for a second season. The ratings where very good as well and would have been picked up.
    Ruby/Spears Superman is awesome, animation wise (especially the opening), but really loses points when it comes to the lack of more iconic villains.

It wasn't as bad as the JL portrayed.