Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So which artist drew your definitive Superman?

We all have our opinion on the definitive image of Superman. Typically its whoever was drawing him while you were reading as a kid. I was looking at some old issues of Action Comics in the dollar bins this weekend and saw the Curt Swan version of Superman. This depiction of Superman is so iconic at this point, it must be many folk's definitive Superman look.

Who's yours?

For me it was Tom Grummett. He was on the team when I first got into the comics, and his work at the time was my favorite out of all the books.

Hard to argue with Swan. Also, say what you will about Byrne's writing, but I loved his Superman, and as you pointed out, whatever was available when you first started reading tends to be highly prioritized.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Hard to argue with Swan. Also, say what you will about Byrne's writing, but I loved his Superman, and as you pointed out, whatever was available when you first started reading tends to be highly prioritized.
    Yup, big fan of Byrne's Superman as well.

BANNED

Swan was drawing the Silver Age Superman but personally i liked Burne's Superman from the 80's.

Swan definitely defined the Silver Age Superman. Byrne drew a great Superman too. Though I think Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez takes my top place.

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

This one is hard for me. John Byrne's is what I think of first. I grew up on Bruce Timm's cartoons though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirnotappearinginthisthread View Post
    Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez
    Oh man, another good call! My daughter had a Superman toy, and the packaging had an old style pic of superman on it. I always wondered who the artist was, my guess was Curt Swan, but after a quick google images search of Garcia-Lopez, I saw that actual picture!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

For me, it would have to be either Bruce Timm or Dan Jurgens, which makes sense since I grew up in the 90's, so that was "my" Superman.

I have to go with Swan because of the personality and expressiveness he brought to both Superman and Clark. Others may draw a more dynamic Superman, but no one does a more human.

Astonishing Member

I get all the Swan love, I do, but for me it's Quitely, and undoubtedly so. No artist has so perfectly captured the body language of that character as both Clark Kent and Superman, not before or since. Even without Grant Morrison's fantastic work with the character, you immediately understand what Superman is about from the way that he stands, smiles, frowns, looks pensive, looks melancholy...everything. The humanity that goes beyond human, the deep feeling, the comfort in himself and his place in the world around him...

When Lex Luthor comes to his grand realization about the nature of space and time and consciousness, it's as though the whole thing had been telegraphed from the first issue. Frank Quitely had been drawing a Superman who knew that all along.
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 06-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.

BANNED

I'm going to have to go with Bruce Timm and Frank Quitely.

And, oddly, Frank Miller.

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

Jurgens and Timm (circa JLU not the Superman: TAS design) for me as well.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly