Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

i think Namor did talk to Bucky about taking substances in Winter Soldier #1..it might be underwater weed,althought i don't know how he blazes it up #420 underwater
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Invincible Member

In Giant Size Man-Thing #4, there's a hidden LSD reference. in the black and white Howard The Duck #6 ( I think) a character lights up a joint while sitting on a police car. There's a more recent issue of the Defenders that not really but sorta kinda implies the characters did hallucinigenics.

I'd say tons Marvel Comics from the 70's were stoner friendly even though they weren't actually about taking drugs.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Cloud 9 strikes me as a pothead. At least back when she use to be care free.

I think that realistically, you wont see something like this while weed is still illegal under Federal law. States legalizing weed is one thing but outside of those States, (and even then, I imagine there's still a lot of resistance) pot is still a pretty touchy subject. And since Marvel caters to the entire nation and countries beyond....I dont see it. Being gay or black or Hispanic isnt a choice, its just the way you are. But we make the decision to smoke or not and a whole lot of people are still of the mind that its the wrong choice.

Eventually, the negative connotations of weed might ease up until its relatively as accepted as drinking, in which case its likely we'd see any number of characters light up (by then no one will notice, as it'll just be another facet of accepted behavior). But we're a long, long way from that.

Additionally, Im not huge on the idea that a comic designed to be kid-appropriate would endorse smoking pot. I got no issue with weed in and of itself (trust me, I really, really dont have a problem with it) but I also dont need Tony Stark getting stoned, and telling my eight year old son that it's fine. I'd like to think that he'll at least wait until he's sixteen or more before he tries it (if he ever does) and Marvel endorsing it seems likely to accelerate that experimentation, likely to an age where his physiology hasnt developed enough to handle it.

Image's The Bounce is exactly what you're looking for though. That was a really solid read with great art. Highly recommend it (see what I did there?)
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I also dont need Tony Stark getting stoned, and telling my eight year old son that it's fine. I'd like to think that he'll at least wait until he's sixteen or more before he tries it (if he ever does) and Marvel endorsing it seems likely to accelerate that experimentation, likely to an age where his physiology hasnt developed enough to handle it.
    Iron Man and Captain America need to remain role models, that is what makes Marvel so much more commercially successful than DC. Parents see Marvel heroes are good role models. But what about someone like Peter Quill/Star Lord or Wolverine? Characters who drink alcohol (a far more dangerous substance) and are rebellious anti-heroes? I would rather my kid see a X-Man smoke weed than see Wolverine's binge drinking jags. Like, I don't want them to do some phoney comic where Spider-Man becomes a hipster stoner. But give weed more props with the already edgier characters. I feel like being a pothead is far more common than becoming an alcoholic with my generation, at least where I live, and if they are showing some characters drink excessively already, them smoking shouldn't be any different.

Also, I read The Bounce back when it first came out, but thanks to everyone suggesting it. They had a good approach to his smoking, they didn't glorify or demonize it, it was just part of his personality.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Iron Man and Captain America need to remain role models, that is what makes Marvel so much more commercially successful than DC. Parents see Marvel heroes are good role models. But what about someone like Peter Quill/Star Lord or Wolverine? Characters who drink alcohol (a far more dangerous substance) and are rebellious anti-heroes? I would rather my kid see a X-Man smoke weed than see Wolverine's binge drinking jags. Like, I don't want them to do some phoney comic where Spider-Man becomes a hipster stoner. But give weed more props with the already edgier characters. I feel like being a pothead is far more common than becoming an alcoholic with my generation, at least where I live, and if they are showing some characters drink excessively already, them smoking shouldn't be any different.

Also, I read The Bounce back when it first came out, but thanks to everyone suggesting it. They had a good approach to his smoking, they didn't glorify or demonize it, it was just part of his personality.
    Hardcore comics fans think of Logan as an edgy hero, but in other media he shows up in children's cartoons. He doesn't smoke cigars anymore, I doubt it'd be ok for him to smoke weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Oh, get stuffed. Your little subculture in no way compares to racial and sexual minorities. In fact, the main reason I support legalization is so pot culture will lose its self-righteous "alt" cachet.

(Jesus, what's next? Furries?)
    It's the big twist at the end of Bendis' upcoming Iron Man #1: Tony Stark reveals his fursona and models his new suit on it.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Hardcore comics fans think of Logan as an edgy hero, but in other media he shows up in children's cartoons. He doesn't smoke cigars anymore, I doubt it'd be ok for him to smoke weed.
    Yeah, for that same reason I don't think we'd get a stoner Star-Lord either now that he's the star of a kids show.

Though, since the plight of stoners is now comparable to problems faced by minorities, I'm guessing the appropriate response to the thread is to say that they should just make a new character instead of hijacking existing characters with their PC SJW nonsense stoner-agenda.

Once you start getting rounded up by the police for a non-violent crime, I think you have some degree of understanding the minority experience.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "the minority experience". People within an ethnic minority smoke weed. Moreover, that's an oversimplification of a minority problem, so you may have an idea of how they feel, but it's not the same--unless there are pot-smokers who are pulled over, suspected of being a pot smoker, beaten up, and arrested or killed.

That's the thing, though. At the moment, in many places, it's still a crime. Since Marvel has been against the smoking of cigarettes or cigars, which is a legal activity, I suspect the chances of them supporting the smoking of marijuana is incredibly slim.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Yeah, for that same reason I don't think we'd get a stoner Star-Lord either now that he's the star of a kids show.

Though, since the plight of stoners is now comparable to problems faced by minorities, I'm guessing the appropriate response to the thread is to say that they should just make a new character instead of hijacking existing characters with their PC SJW nonsense stoner-agenda.
    Really?

The plight of a stoner will NEVER be comparable to us.

You can hide being stoned-you can't hide being black or any other race.

You would not see 500+ pages of folks complaining about a stoner hero. Yet we seen it for almost every single minority that Marvel has tried to use.

Show me the stoner who has been killed for his skin color or his or her sexuality? If you want to talk SJW nonsense explain why the main users of weed are not black but yet that's the group who makes up the prison population for weed possession and use?

There is no need for a stoner hero because all it would be is some ABC after school special story. There is no way that series can be done without the classic "I was so stoned folks died story." Because Disney would LOVE to have that story done for PR and follow it up with either Captain Falcon or Captain America preaching.

What is Alpha doing nowadays?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Really?

Read the OP then read my post please.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Oh, get stuffed. Your little subculture in no way compares to racial and sexual minorities. In fact, the main reason I support legalization is so pot culture will lose its self-righteous "alt" cachet.

(Jesus, what's next? Furries?)
    Leave furries out of this!!! They never hurt anybody! Erm... Except for that one really creepy bunny in 'The Houses October Built'... But yea, otherwise leave them poor furries alone!

Really though jumping from weed culture to furries is quite a bit of a leap, just sayin'.

In all reality though, as awesome as it sounds to have a stoner super hero, you will never see that at marvel. A Disney owned company producing mostly all age friendly comics is not gonna produce a comic with Cap or Star-Lord or anybody sitting at home on their day off grinding up some purple. It simply won't happen. If they want to keep drugs out of their comics though, they should also kick alcohol to the curb. It is very much a drug and one of the more dangerous ones, so even though it's legal, it should not be around with their anti-drug mentality.
    Last edited by rellum; 08-04-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Once you start getting rounded up by the police for a non-violent crime, I think you have some degree of understanding the minority experience. Being forced to treat your smoking like it is a taboo and being viewed by society as a criminal for something that isn't hurting anyone feels similar to how gays were treated back when sodomy laws were actively enforced. Before legalization, I always had to worry that if a co-worked heard I smoke that I would become a pariah, which led to me feeling alienated just to preserve my privacy. Now that it is legal, I don't need to feel
    like my personal life could jeopardize my professional one. But I am glad you support legalization, if only to get us to stop acting like we are a civil rights movement.
    [SARCASM]Yeah because you're born a pot smoker, so it must be really hard growing up and feeling alienated from your peers, just like being Hispanic or Muslim. And just like gay people, you might even have to hide your pot smoking from your parents or risk getting kicked out, and you can't even talk about the awesome new bowl (husband) you got with your co-workers without fear of judgement or even reprisal. And since pot smokers can instantly be recognized, it must be really upsetting to be treated with suspicion on sight by perfect strangers like black people or Arabs often are.[/SARCASM]

Seriously though, being subject to an (IMO) asinine law that causes you to worry about the consequences of getting high on a psychoactive drug is not the same thing as being a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post

This literally made me laugh out loud! You slay me, Mr. Medusa!!!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Really?

You can hide being stoned-you can't hide being black or any other race.

You would not see 500+ pages of folks complaining about a stoner hero. Yet we seen it for almost every single minority that Marvel has tried to use.

Show me the stoner who has been killed for his skin color or his or her sexuality? If you want to talk SJW nonsense explain why the main users of weed are not black but yet that's the group who makes up the prison population for weed possession and use?

There is no need for a stoner hero because all it would be is some ABC after school special story. There is no way that series can be done without the classic "I was so stoned folks died story." Because Disney would LOVE to have that story done for PR and follow it up with either Captain Falcon or Captain America preaching.

What is Alpha doing nowadays?
    Oh, boy, some people just don't get sarcasm on the Internet, do they?

Fantastic Member

You won't see it until the profit is greater than the backlash. So, not soon.