Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

If Marvel won't even allow the Thing or Nick Fury (the real one ) to smoke cigars on panel, I doubt you'll ever see them use any recreational drugs. Many still consider the use of marijuana as a gateway drug because of the THC. If you live in a red state like I do, it's highly unlikely to see marijuana become legal. Heck, they still don't sell liquor on Sundays here. And as someone else mentioned, mainstream comics are likely to remain kid friendly. Parents would not be keen on the idea.
    BTW, I disagree with Ben Grimm being on the list. I can't see him doing it with children around in the Baxter Building.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-04-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    If Marvel won't even allow the Thing or Nick Fury (the real one ) to smoke cigars on panel, I doubt you'll ever see them use any recreational drugs. Many still consider the use of marijuana as a gateway drug because of the THC. If you live in a red state like I do, it's highly unlikely to see marijuana become legal. Heck, they still don't sell liquor on Sundays here. And as someone else mentioned, mainstream comics are likely to remain kid friendly. Parents would not be keen on the idea.
    BTW, I disagree with Ben Grimm being on the list. I can't see him doing it with children around in the Baxter Building.
    There are still states that ban Sunday sales? Here in Georgia, that ban got lifted years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "the minority experience".
    I wasn't trying to act like I deserve the same sympathy as black people do, who have gotten one of the worst bum wraps in history at this point.
    But people on the fringes of society who experience any degree of persecution, like stoners, are going to be far more sympathetic to what minorities go through than any of the racist idiots I hear at work or (sadly) at family reunions. The sad thing is that a lot of racists I know would swear up and down that they aren't racist, and I worry that if I didn't have a better understanding of how it feels when society collectively works against you, that I might fall into the same mental trappings as these other unintentional racists.
    So because my experience will never be nearly as bad as being black in this country, I have no right to complain? You can;t complain unless you are getting the worst of the worst treatment? Moderate persecution is still enough to hurt people. Maybe you consider my issues first world problems, but as someone living where it is now legal, I can say that it really does feel like I got my own version of a civil rights movement, and no longer need to feel uncomfortable around others because of my private life.

To the person who said "they should just make a new character instead of hijacking existing characters with their PC SJW nonsense stoner-agenda", I wouldn't mind that. Hell, I wouldn't mind if no heroes smoke but they get a couple stoner sidekicks who man the computers and do all the fancy hacking. If they were going to make an existing character a stoner, the Ultimates would've been the time to work that, and it is now too late. They should've had Ultimate Hulk smoke weed to keep from transforming. And when he runs out of weed, he flips and Hulks out until they get him some to chill back out. Actually, that would be dumb, but would be funny if they ever make an Avengers parody film.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 08-05-2015 at 03:41 AM.

Invincible Member

I could see Grimm trying to once in college and not liking it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Yeah, for that same reason I don't think we'd get a stoner Star-Lord either now that he's the star of a kids show.

Though, since the plight of stoners is now comparable to problems faced by minorities, I'm guessing the appropriate response to the thread is to say that they should just make a new character instead of hijacking existing characters with their PC SJW nonsense stoner-agenda.
    "The OP is a tulmbr/hipster/feminist/stoner who is ruining comics by taking away my heroes and and sexy girls to replace them weed! I am quitting Marvel Comics forever!" (joking)

Invincible Member

For what it's worth though, it's not like there aren't minority stoners. Being a so called "stoner" isn't exclusive to white kids.

And I don't want to get too grim or serious, but in many cases of harassment/prejudice against black and brown males there's an predisposed accusation for "looking high". If you're black/hispanic and have been stopped by the police I'm sure you've heard some variation of "Ok, where's the weed?"

Invincible Member

double post!

After The Bounce, we have those Scratch and Sniff Harley Quinn weed covers awhile ago.

I don't believe in today's age a comic book company would be scared to show drugs, since they don't follow the Comics Code anymore. I don't see today's writers shying from stuff like that either. Oh yeah, there is also Drumhellar from Image Comics. This character is basically taking psychedelics the whole time and tripping throughout the comic.
    Last edited by ishikabe; 08-05-2015 at 04:29 AM.

BANNED

Marijuana use is a very common thing in the U.S., with about 13 percent of the country having smoked it in the most recent year (Source). So it's very likely that most of the superheroes have at least tried it, just as it's likely that your doctor, lawyer, garbage man, bus driver, mom, etc. have.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    i think Namor did talk to Bucky about taking substances in Winter Soldier #1..it might be underwater weed,althought i don't know how he blazes it up #420 underwater
    It was a substance called Illium from another planet. Namor did make reference to consuming it before. Bucky and his future self also got high on it and started tripping out. It was dumb. Would rather ignore that entire terrible Winter Soldier run though tbh.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    There are still states that ban Sunday sales? Here in Georgia, that ban got lifted years ago.
    Sad but true in Indiana. A lot of it was tied to religion and many stores were closed on Sundays. There were "blue laws" that only allowed certain items to be sold on Sundays in the stores that were open. At one time, you could not rent videos on Sundays if the town had a blue law against it. Most of the blue laws are gone now but the one about the sales of liqour allows that only a place serving meals can sell it. But you can't buy a 6 pack anywhere. Oh, and automobile sales are not done on Sundays either.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Sad but true in Indiana. A lot of it was tied to religion and many stores were closed on Sundays. There were "blue laws" that only allowed certain items to be sold on Sundays in the stores that were open. At one time, you could not rent videos on Sundays if the town had a blue law against it. Most of the blue laws are gone now but the one about the sales of liqour allows that only a place serving meals can sell it. But you can't buy a 6 pack anywhere. Oh, and automobile sales are not done on Sundays either.
    As another Hoosier, those laws help. Without them, car dealers and small liquor stores would have to go on the 24/7 schedule imposed by the tyrant economy. At least now they get a day off.

That said, I'd really want to see Steve Rogers eat a pot brownie by mistake.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I can see Image doing this but not Marvel or DC(maybe under their Vertigo imprint). Deadpool is the only Marvel hero I can see smoking a joint before battle.

BANNED

It's a county by county decision here in Alabama to sell alcohol. Until about 1988, you would have to drive to the Georgia or Mississippi state line to buy any
    alcohol on Sunday. At first, only the largest county in the state, Jefferson County, actually managed to put it on a ballot, and it passed. Since then, I'm pretty
    sure most of the other counties have done the same, but there are some, like the one I live in, that are still behind the times. I'm only 5 minutes away from
    the county line, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    As another Hoosier, those laws help. Without them, car dealers and small liquor stores would have to go on the 24/7 schedule imposed by the tyrant economy. At least now they get a day off.

That said, I'd really want to see Steve Rogers eat a pot brownie by mistake.
    That would be funny (remembers an old episode of "Barney Miller" )

OT: Many small stores already have a hard time competing when big franchise stores like Walmart, CVS and Mejier have a liquor department. Big business is always going to smother the little guy.