Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Oh, get stuffed. Your little subculture in no way compares to racial and sexual minorities. In fact, the main reason I support legalization is so pot culture will lose its self-righteous "alt" cachet.

(Jesus, what's next? Furries?)
    Squirrel Girl, Frog-Man, and Sasquatch probably cover that.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    You won't see it until the profit is greater than the backlash. So, not soon.
    That's essentially the formula for anything new at Marvel. Or DC. Or Hollywood studios. Or basically any corporation.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Rhodey once offered Tony a doobie in Vietnam, but when Tony attempted to take it from him his Iron Man fingers crunched it.

(I kid you not ... I read it in "The Many Armors of Iron Man" TPB)
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    I can see Image doing this but not Marvel or DC(maybe under their Vertigo imprint). Deadpool is the only Marvel hero I can see smoking a joint before battle.
    With his healing factor can Deadpool even get high?

Quote Originally Posted by Model 1911A1 Cal .45 View Post
    With his healing factor can Deadpool even get high?
    I doubt it, but when AXIS inverted his personality, he pretty much turned into a giant stoner, just without the weed. I miss Hippypool, he was the best of the inversions.

i have to worry that sort of lifestyle wouldn't mesh well with the dangers presented by super heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I doubt it, but when AXIS inverted his personality, he pretty much turned into a giant stoner, just without the weed. I miss Hippypool, he was the best of the inversions.
    He was Zenpool! and he was high...on life!

I can see Johnny Storm and Daken getting high together and Ben looking on in disgust lol. Also Deadpool, Blind Al, The Warriors Three, Johnny Blaze, Mohawk Storm, Any superhero with cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Any superhero with cancer
    So the new Thor would make the perfect poster-hero for smoking weed. The other Thor's all drink to excess, Jane Foster can smoke instead. The mead would be hell on her body.

So the new Thor would make the perfect poster-hero for smoking weed. The other Thor's all drink to excess, Jane Foster can smoke instead. The mead would be hell on her body.
    Sorry for sounding ignorant of drugs and diseases, but I was thinking of medical marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Sorry for sounding ignorant of drugs and diseases, but I was thinking of medical marijuana.
    That is what I meant, too. The new Thor is dying of cancer currently, so she has good reason to smoke.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 08-05-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Maybe you consider my issues first world problems, but as someone living where it is now legal, I can say that it really does feel like I got my own version of a civil rights movement, and no longer need to feel uncomfortable around others because of my private life.
    The reason you were uncomfortable was because you were doing something illegal. It's like a guy who robs banks on the weekend wondering when someone at his job will recognize him from security footage. So, yes, I'd say trying to equate your hobby to the persecution certain law-abiding citizens face/have faced or the civil rights movement is poor form.

Actually, that would be dumb, but would be funny if they ever make an Avengers parody film.
    Was there a "getting high" joke in one of the superhero parody movies so far? Epic Movie? Superhero Movie?

They wont even let Howard the Duck smoke Cigars anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    The reason you were uncomfortable was because you were doing something illegal. It's like a guy who robs banks on the weekend wondering when someone at his job will recognize him from security footage. So, yes, I'd say trying to equate your hobby to the persecution certain law-abiding citizens face/have faced or the civil rights movement is poor form.
    Not really, when being gay used to be illegal (strict sodomy laws) and anyone who dared break them would have also been compared to bank robbers by people like you, who would say "I don't know why those dudes need to shag other dudes. Don't they know it is against the law!?! They should just go get loveless marriages and bratty kids like I did!" Also, the black civil rights movement had to become what you would call lawbreakers as well to bring change. Rosa Parks would be considered a criminal to you, because it was THE LAW that she had to sit in back. She wasn't a law abiding citizen facing persecution, she was a criminal like me, daring to break a moronic law. MLK also had to spend many a night in jail, because he had to break laws to prove how messed up the laws were in the first place. Interracial marriage was illegal, even. Not all laws should be taken at face value, Captain America and Superman have confronted unjust laws before as opposed to hurting good people by enforcing antiquated laws various times. Our government breaks worse laws than I ever have, so it is hard to feel guilty. I've at least never tortured anyone or falsified evidence to justify invading a country before. And by legalizing, they are essentially admitting that I was right to break that law all along, as it was a silly law. By the time they had legalized it, it was already decriminalized and the penalty was a ticket that cost less than a speeding ticket. Would you compare someone who gets a speeding ticket to a bank robber, too?

To all the people jumping down the OP's throat for his remarks about minorities: all s/he said was
    I think you have some degree of understanding the minority experience
    NOT stoners are minorities, or stoners have it just as bad as minorities, or stoners are exactly the same as minorities.

All s/he is doing is pointing out that both groups have some common experience in terms of facing persecution, ostracism, injustice and indignity simply for living their lives in a way that effects no one else, which is 100% true.

The fact that one group faces more persecution than the other is neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Homosexuality and miscegenation used to be illegal. I guess people who practiced either were comparable to 'a guy who robs banks on the weekend wondering when someone at his job will recognize him from security footage' too, huh?

The law is not infallible, nor always in the right, and simply breaking the law does not mean you are a bad person.

Back to the topic at hand. I would love to see more progressive portrayals, not just of weed smoking, but all drug use. I can't think of a single example from comics where drug use hasn't been portrayed as a one way instant ticket to addiction (usually accompanied by violence, insanity, death etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    (Jesus, what's next? Furries?)
    I'd say Grizzly counts...