Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Neither chicken nor egg. Dizzy D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Maybe something like A Doll's House would fit better?
    A Game of You.

When I started the list, I thought it was just current comics (which would explain the absence of Strangers in Paradise for instance), but it had some older comics on it as well.

It's a list though, not a bad list at that, which always brings limitations with it.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Get rid of Sex Criminals and Pretty Deadly and substitute them with Bandette and Wonder Woman and there you go!

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Get rid of Sex Criminals and Pretty Deadly and substitute them with Bandette and Wonder Woman and there you go!
    Just out of curiosity why would you get rid of Sex Criminals? It seems like one of the most sex positive series (comics or otherwise) that I've ever read.
    Currently Reading: Lazarus, American Vampire, Wytches, Descender, Batman, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, High Crimes, Deadly Class, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, The Fade Out, Thor, Gotham Academy, Southern Bastards, Batgirl, All Star Section Eight, Injection, Howard the Duck, Weirdworld, Grayson, Midnighter, Prez, Hawkeye

All-New Member

You guys have such awesome suggestions! Thanks for participating

Just to let you know--many of the books you called out are being featured in my next reading list, which focuses on LGBTQ comics. I wanted to reserve some of the better examples of non-conforming gender representation and LGBTQ characters for that piece, so I definitely didn't forget them. I'm just saving them for a different list.

No X-men??? Pity.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyGilly View Post
    You guys have such awesome suggestions! Thanks for participating

Just to let you know--many of the books you called out are being featured in my next reading list, which focuses on LGBTQ comics. I wanted to reserve some of the better examples of non-conforming gender representation and LGBTQ characters for that piece, so I definitely didn't forget them. I'm just saving them for a different list.
    X-men's amazing, and deals with LGBT issues too.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    A very beginner's list.

No "Girl" (or even "the Extremist") by Milligan? "Kill Your Boyfriend" by Morrison? More difficult to find but the search will reap infinite rewards (and the books could do with continued publicity instead of watered down corporate property like Captain Marvel).

aaaaaand Pixie Strikes Back is more feminist than the majority of the list. Give the book its DUE, CBR.
    How is the Pixie mini-series any less "watered-down corporate property" than Captain Marvel? They're literally from the same company.
    Last edited by Michael P; 06-03-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    I'm surprised to see how many of these are written by men.
    Agreed. No mention of the works of Carla Speed McNieil, Jessica Abel, or Linda Medley. Its a good list but not positive lady energy enough.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NateDizzy View Post
    I feel like Ms. Marvel should get an honorable mention. Kamala's story is still very new, but she is fast becoming one of my favorite characters to read.
    Honorable mention? At the end of the day, this could blow away the rest of the list. I haven't read them all but a good majority.

The reason I love it so much is that Kamila is not just a strong female, but a real one, dealing with what appears to be real issues in her world. It is just amazing. For a small, well crafted moment, the scene where she is in the mosque and gets into it with the teacher is perfect. Every little bit of that scene adds something familiar but telling in its depiction.

Someone else also mentioned Courtney Crumrin. While she is a tween, she is still a very positive female character that isn't afraid, navigates an unfriendly world between her inept parents and the Lord of the Flies style high school (you know, well off and judgmental) and takes her magic training into her own hands with some dark moments. It should be necessary reading just because it is so brilliant.

All-New Member

Commenters should remember that a list always represents a single individual's (hopefully well-informed) experience and perspective, and that any list has a million considerations, concessions, and decisions behind it that we can't see. Instead of saying "GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T INCLUDE _____!!!" and effectively closing the conversation, open the conversation by saying "Another good read is _____!" This isn't about your good taste or the author's lack thereof; it's about building a community and celebrating rad books! Give a positive spin a try!

All-New Member

Can't wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    No X-men??? Pity.
    As someone who originally got into comics largely by way of that cover, I have to say that the book as a whole is just flat not very good. I enjoyed the Coipel arc quite a lot, but then the book got sidetracked by BOTA and then Wood made a complete hash of the Sisterhood arc. It was such a mess. Also it's had about eight artists in fourteen issues.

I will be forever grateful for the fact that it got me into superhero comics, but it definitely doesn't belong on a top-15 list, no matter the theme of the list. IMO.

(I might be a little bitter.)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I don't think Wood's name needs to really be on any feminist lists. Especially if Duffy, Pollack, Nocenti, and Simonson didn't make the cut. Holly Golightly. Alex de Campi. Colleen Doran. Jill Thompson.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

The list article contains a lot of good stuff already, but it's awesome to see so many more suggestions in this thread! One day we'll have an embarrasment of riches of comics with better representation! Saw Courtney Crumrin get mentioned by someone, it looks really neat. Gonna add that to the wishlist.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Maybe something like A Doll's House would fit better?
    That would be a good fit, or "A Game of You."

A good sign of the times: someone does a column of 15 feminist comics and almost every post is going "but what about THIS comic" or "where's stuff by THIS creator". There's that damn many comics you could put on a list.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I don't think Wood's name needs to really be on any feminist lists.
    Someone had to say it and I'm glad it was you.