Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Superannuated Man, #1

By the time most people realized it, they were no longer in charge of the world we know. In an unspecified future, the small seaside town of Blackwater has now been taken over by advanced and mutated animals. Most of the humans that lived there are now either dead or gone, but one old-man remains, scavenging off the scraps and refuse of humanity's past, and doggedly defying the new tenants.

Full article here.

BANNED

Getting my copy om Friday!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

have my copy; hope to read it this weekend!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

I liked it. It's off on its own tangent. We need comics like this as a nice change of pace. I liked the "golden age" format. I am in for the duration.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I was hoping to put this on an Image site, or best, onto a Ted McKeever page, as well as here: I enjoyed Superannuated Man.

I liked Eddy Current. I go back and read it again sometimes. Been a while; and Transit—two more for this summer. Eddy Current and Transit and Superannuated. Please take it as meant, a deep compliment that Superannuated suddenly reminded me of early Carrot. Interesting pictures and well-timed surprising characters, with an underlying “laugh at this! I dare ya,” sense of humor.

Of course the format is annoying, but I like it, liked seeing the big pictures and if everybody’d go back to a fuller page size we’d have in plenty the proper bags and boxes.

Interesting Hyena-guy can’t distinguish mannequin from human, just from a “how long can he stand there like that?” point of view. After Hyena, I like the blob-whale just after the staple-fold, but my favorite page is that of Superannuated climbing the ladder up the big ships, talking with the snorkel still in his teeth: Lesus Clites. I like the big ships, I like the distance shots, that the page is complete enough for a non-comics reader to understand what’s going on by the sequence (and content, natch) of pictures, and I like it that the reader has to intuit what’s said, and why. And I like it that it’s funny. And I like the pictures of ships.

Thanks for giving really expressive faces to all your characters throughout, too.
    Best wishes to do this one as long as you like,

Matt
    Last edited by matt levin; 06-08-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet