Thread: New to Hellboy

Mighty Member

Default New to Hellboy

I was wondering why does the comics have a not so set schedule? also why isn't it in order like if you get 1946 BR comic I forgot the name does it start like that
    What's a good Jumping on Point I heard good things about Hellboy in Hell 7 yet there is no 1-6 is there a order to read
    Im just wondering about the order and is it like a connecting saga or stand along serers

Fantastic Member

Hey fin,

This book doesn't really have a set schedule because Mike Mignola (the guy who created Hellboy) likes to take his time with it. That's basically the reason.

Best place to start is arguably Hellboy: Seed of Destruction (volume 1) or the first Hellboy Library Edition (which combines Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil.) You can then read Hellboy through to Conquerer Worm (volume 5) without needing to pick up anything else. After that, you can pick up any of the following books (which are all graphic novels, not individual comics) and start reading in whatever order you like.

Hellboy volume 6-12, and then Hellboy in Hell volume 1.
    BPRD Plague of Frogs omnibuses 1-4
    Witchfinder 1-3
    Lobster Johnson 1-4
    Abe Sapien 1-2
    Sledgehammer 44
    BPRD 1946-1948 omnibus

Once you're done reading Hellboy up to Volume 12, and all of the BPRD: Plague of Frogs books, you can get to reading the following

BPRD: Hell on Earth
    BPRD: Being Human

Once you've read BPRD 1946-1948, you can read

BPRD: Vampire
    Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 (though it is a pretty good standalone story anyway, this is where I'd read it.)

Once you've read BPRD Hell on Earth: A Cold Day in Hell, you can read

Abe Sapien volumes 3-6

Definitely not the only way to do it, and there are much more well reasoned methods, but I think mine avoids any spoilers.
    Last edited by zerodemon; 08-03-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Mighty Member

Im looking to get Hellboy in Hell 7.Where does that fit in

After Hellboy in Hell 1-6 (1-5 are collected as The Descent 6 is not collected yet) which follow Hellboy volumes 1-12

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Im looking to get Hellboy in Hell 7.Where does that fit in
    As others have said it follows 1-6 so it's not likely to be new reader friendly. For my money, when ever someone asks me where to start I usually give them the Wolves of St.August or the Corpse. Neither one is the first Hellboy book, but they are early in his career and give you a great feel for the way Mignola tells a story.

Hellboy in Hell #7 is reasonably new-reader friendly (though I haven't read Hellboy in Hell #8, which is the second part of the two-part Hounds of Pluto arc, so I could be quite wrong about that), but as the others have said, there's so much great material before that story, and you'll get more out of it if you've read the previous stuff.

There's twelve volumes of Hellboy (also collected in 6 library editions) and it's all fantastic, then one volume of Hellboy in Hell (collecting #1–5). #6 hasn't been collected yet.

You don't need to read any of the spin-off material at all, but maybe when you're caught up with Hellboy, you might want to check it out. I assure you, it's all very good.
    Last edited by middenway; 08-05-2015 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    As others have said it follows 1-6 so it's not likely to be new reader friendly. For my money, when ever someone asks me where to start I usually give them the Wolves of St.August or the Corpse. Neither one is the first Hellboy book, but they are early in his career and give you a great feel for the way Mignola tells a story.
    I second this. These are my go to books for someone who wants to start Hellboy. They might not be the first chronologically, but I feel they tell you everything you need to know about the character.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight