Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Invincible Iron Man, #1

Exploding out of the pages of SECRET WARS, one of the most popular super heroes in the world gets a gigantic new series. From the creators that brought you ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN comes new armor, new supporting cast, new villains and a new purpose that is going to tear itself across the entire Marvel Universe and beyond. with a shocker of a last page that will have everyone talking and the return of one of Tony's biggest nemeses, you will not want to miss this!! Also, who are Tony's biological parents? The quest begins here!

Full article here.

Does he mean Madame Mask with the "biggest nemeses" thing? Because she's always been kinda "meh". Didn't miss her in the slightest when she was killed off. I was hoping for new villains, not the return of one of Iron Man's most boring villains.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I like Madame Masque - I think she was used pretty well in Fraction's Hawkeye. (A lot better than he used her in his Iron Man, for sure!)

I'm not sure how to feel about this.
    Iron Man at a low point instead of on top of the world: good
    Trying to do an actually sleek armor instead of weird 90s bulky stuff: good
    New love interest: (I'll see where this goes)
    New A.I.:
    No sign of Rhodey:
    Carrying on with the ... weirdly handled Gillen adoption storyline:

All-New Member

I was really hoping they'd forget the whole parent drama thing. It's so dull.

And isn't this like... the umpteenth time Tony's designed ultra-flexible armour in the last couple of years? Him raving about the modular suit still comes to mind.

To me, Adi Granov did the first Iron Man. Him and Warren Ellis created the duche bag before Civil War, and that's the Iron Man he has become. Bendis looks like taking over that Iron Man, and adding Tony's real family and all the Armors into one package. Bring on the Duche bag.

Incredible Member

I'm still excited about this comic and the relaunch, but that preview was painfully boring.

BANNED

Marquez's work on this looks fantastic, no surprises there. Not a particularly exciting preview though - surely there are better ways to hype a series than 3 pages of exposition plus 1 page of chit-chat?

I thought it was great to see Tony in a workshop again and actually stating how important it is to him. The new armour isn't totally original, the hexagon idea came about in volume 3 but this time it seems to be expanded and improved. I like the mix of a mechanical undersuit and the malleable outer layer. It's a nice mix of old school and the new ideas that haven't been very impressive so far.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The writing is solid and the art great. Looks like a buy for me.

Although I do not relish the not-my-real-daddy story line, I do like that it is being adressed and not awkwardly dropped.

The new suit looks even better in the comic than it did in the teaser images.

I see Bendis has integrated the Friday AI from the movie into the comic. Not bad, really. IIRC, the movie Friday had an Irish accent(?), so I guess I will have to remember that when I am reading her dialogue.

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

I'm really digging the art. And we already know the writing is gonna be top-notch, definitely picking this up!

Fantastic Member

Read well to me. Looks great too. Boring? Yes, but it's a preview.

I want to see more.

Spectacular Member

Okay, we have F.R.I.D.A.Y. whose MCU version was briefly introduced towards the end of Age of Ultron, and whose holographic form and bantering echoes that of Miguel O'Hara's holographic assistant Lyla in Spider-Man 2099. (Watch - eventually we'll find out that Lyla is a "descendant" of F.R.I.D.A.Y.)

It looks like Tony is no longer in Superior Iron Man mode. Good

Tony, just slap a lawsuit on that reverse-engineering MIT kid (those are your patents, right?) and then tell the young man to come to see you when he's finished his Ph.D. in a couple of years LOL

iMan 42s

Alright I see nothing really all that wrong with Tony in the preview. Bendis can write a decent Tony but one thing I'd like to point out. That line about reverse engineering Iron man, that's kind of silly.
    This unnamed fifteen year old at MIT can replicate repulsors, the durability of the armor and specs to a point where it can match Tony's suits? BULLCRAP. I know robotic suits are kind of the norm in the Marvel universe but the standard Iron man is a one man army. Even if you are in MIT I highly doubt anyone even has the money to replicate any of the stuff Tony has otherwise why on Earth is Tony's stuff so special? It's like being Batman, you need a bottomless checkbook to do it because on even a decent sized budget you wont even come close.
    Also I get that the bleeding edge was kind of creepy to some people but the point was that it was convenient and no matter what was with Tony all the time. Unless he had a situation like with Doctor Octopus that one time it was and still is the most advanced and most useful armor he has ever used. Lord knows why Tony would never reuse it.

All in all I'm along for the ride.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

So it's the Modular Armor of the 90's animated series Mark 2 ?

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by servo View Post
    Okay, we have F.R.I.D.A.Y. whose MCU version was briefly introduced towards the end of Age of Ultron, and whose holographic form and bantering echoes that of Miguel O'Hara's holographic assistant Lyla in Spider-Man 2099. (Watch - eventually we'll find out that Lyla is a "descendant" of F.R.I.D.A.Y.)

It looks like Tony is no longer in Superior Iron Man mode. Good

Tony, just slap a lawsuit on that reverse-engineering MIT kid (those are your patents, right?) and then tell the young man to come to see you when he's finished his Ph.D. in a couple of years LOL
    Maybe the teased sister-book is about a All-new Iron-Lad(?)... no, it better be a Rescue/Warmachine book