Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mignolaversity

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Maybe that's not a bad thing. People seem to like Hell Notes (I think). But it's got me thinking that maybe it shouldn't always be like that. Maybe I should write some that are much more geared towards new readers.

What do you guys think?
    Just wanted to pop in to say I think what you've done with HellNotes has been excellent. It might be interesting to have one occasionally geared towards new readers, but I love the Big Picture way you look at a topic and explore it's every appearance across every series, and the possible greater implications. Some of them, like the Vril article, have really helped me connect some dots that I hadn't really even noticed through multiple reads of the whole series. I love the way the series connect through small ways that often aren't even explicitly mentioned to the reader, and you're pretty great at catching them.

People seem to like Hell Notes (I think). But it's got me thinking that maybe it shouldn't always be like that. Maybe I should write some that are much more geared towards new readers.

What do you guys think?
    I think books or stories or anything made may get appreciated in any way and to any level all at the same time. The way any writing (even Notes) or such could.

Although "ways" or "levels" is what can become like the needles pricking up butterflies into not flying anymore.

Look at the Mignola books themselves: they remain to potentially entice whomever basically, without coming with a manual other than foremostly the stories themselves, precisely as they'd be, with however leaving the reading or appreciation up to whatever audiences as much as possible - through having the reading to remain as inter-active or depending on the reader as much as could be.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-17-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Nice. Well done and good to see it still going.

The Hellboy: Box Full of Evil bit is one of the most hooking things to Hellboy for me. I distinctly remember reading it for a first time with proving ghabberflasted - no - flubber... - no - struck with it. Taken. Smittered.
    Like was I reading about a comic book hero somehow becoming portrayed or represented as a clay bit at the root of some otherworldly tree - as with even becoming to speak from an otherworldly mouth, moreso than the real in story one? And... To what end?

It still instills me with as much enigma as ever, but. Not in a bad way, I'd be to think.

Like it puzzles me more than Hecate or real live Egyptian mummies belonging to Hellboy's world. Or Rasputin. Giants. Demons. Pyrokinetic girls. Or any of that.

But especially things such as this Yggdrassil-bit or what Celtic elsewhere plane would be existing in Hellboy's world, his 'real world' so to speak, what connection ancienthood would be having in any of its actual actuality, would be seeming somehow pivotal for me. The stuff folks like old Eddy and that Langdon Caul fellow would seem to be knowing things about.

And yet, at the same time these intense presentations of different characters as being to seek answers or questions to formulate for themselves,
    seem like answers as much as questions in their own right. Like forming parables or purposeful paradoxes. As if wonderment or mystery would be what it is due to what it would be seeming to be. Same as a joke being to prove something funny when it would be.

The way how for instance the Dagda or Edward Grey would actually be looking at the reader, they'd appear to be addressing the reader, when they'd be to look Hellboy in the eye as it were:
    that seems to be telling me the storyteller might be targeting the reader, the reader's sense of perspective a good bit.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 06-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.

I'd love to see a Sir Edward Grey story some day set in "Elsewhere." And, yeah, I loved the Hellboy statue in Box Full of Evil. And it was cool in The Third Wish when Gruagach punched it and Hellboy felt it.

Default Hell Notes: In Pursuit of Haigus

New Hell Notes.
    I'm taking a from the Hellboy Universe to talk about Baltimore instead, recapping everything from Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire through to Baltimore: Chapel of Bones.

The Witch of Harju begins next week!
    Last edited by middenway; 08-12-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Just read your interview with the Baltimore team. Some fantastic stuff there. Although I was disappointed to learn than Stenbeck is not only slowing his output in Baltimore, but leaving altogether after his next arc. The blow was softened though by his vague mention of something else he's working on with Mignola coming up eventually. A tantalizing tease indeed

Thanks. That was my first group interview, so it's a bit haphazard, but I had a lot of fun with it. With everyone in different time zones, it was really tricky to put together.

It is unfortunate that Ben Stenbeck isn't continuing the series, but I will say this one thing, Mike Mignola is very excited about what he's working on next. And Peter Bergting is going to be great on the series.

Here's a link to the interview. It's a big one!

Last edited by middenway; 08-12-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Another excellent notes. Well done on the Din and fitting Cloacina in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Another excellent notes. Well done on the Din and fitting Cloacina in there.
    How could I possibly skip Cloacina?

The Claw of Justice!

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy the Hell Notes column. Before reading them, I had missed a lot of details and clues about the Hellboy universe, even after reading many of the books several times.
    My favorite Hell Notes is the Lobster Johnson one. Thanks for making such a detailed account of the life and afterlife of my favorite character.
    I look forward to future Hell Notes!

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy the Hell Notes column. Before reading them, I had missed a lot of details and clues about the Hellboy universe, even after reading many of the books several times.
    My favorite Hell Notes is the Lobster Johnson one. Thanks for making such a detailed account of the life and afterlife of my favorite character.
    I look forward to future Hell Notes!
    Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying them. I find with most of them, as soon as they're published, I want to take them down and rewrite them...

Default Artist August

It's Artist August on Multiversity Comics, and so every day we've putting together art pieces for various artists. Here's the ones from Mignoalverse artists:

The Claw of Justice!

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying them. I find with most of them, as soon as they're published, I want to take them down and rewrite them...
    Even the completely awesome Lobster Johnson one?