Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I appreciate the Game of Thrones reference.

I've actually read all of these and they don't really address my main issue with the theory, which is that if Ike Perlmutter is such a penny-saving guy, why would he cancel a book while he's making a profit on it? Yes, he hates Fox. But cancelling the comic irks who, exactly? Who at Fox cares if Marvel is still publishing a comic book based on a property they have the film rights to?

Once again, I completely understand why Marvel would be mad at Fox about the Fantastic Four situation, but cancelling the Fantastic Four book is like punching yourself in the face before fighting someone.
    Not if you look at the FF comics revenue as a percent of the total revenues generated by the entire FF brand. In a case like that, Marvel is only getting a miniscule fraction of revenues stemming from what they're helping cross promote. From that perspective, it can be seen as a loss by people. I know that sounds irrational, but there's a behavioral theory called Prospect Theory that indicates people tend to overweight potential losses when comparing them against potential gains (give or take risk-aversion traits). I'm not going to tell you that's what's going on in Perlmutter's head, but it certainly fits with the way that things have gone down for the FF, particularly if you throw in the indications that he's a hyper-domineering type.

Of course, you also have to remember that we're talking about the way that things were about a year ago. All earnings and losses at the point were potential. If box office follows reviews, could turn out that the comics will be the MORE profitable venture, percentage-wise. Wouldn't that be a grimly ironic outcome?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Well the poor reception/bomb of the movie basically just poisons the brand even further. It'll definitely help Marvel in negotiations for movie rights, that's for sure. Basically if the only hope for the franchise to succeed as a film is to be linked up to the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe to even make a profit, then that's going to be Marvel's linchpin.
    What does that movie have to do with the comic?

Antman had 1 FAILED solo yet got a profitable film.

Blade has 3 profitable movie and at least 3 failed solos.

Big Hero 6 did well as a film.

The Green Lantern film didn't kill the comic books-all 6 of them

Steel film didn't kill the comic that last 4+ years

Catwoman didn't kill the comic.

Batman & Superman survived their box office bombs.

How does this ONE film destroy a franchise? Especially when there is NO MERCHANDISE from this film? This is ONE film. ONE film. ONE film.

All I see are bunch of bandwagon fans trashing Michael B. Jordan like he is the anti-Christ and Fox MUST give up the film rights.

The majority of the crying is folks not wanting a black Johnny Storm and it's mainly by folks who don't know what a FF comic looks like. Folks who haven't cared about that book in years but think crying about him will scare Marvel into getting rid of POC in books they are never going to read.

Where were all these "fans" when the comic was published? Oh that's RIGHT-complaining is FREE but putting your money where you mouth is not.

That film didn't kill the franchise-MARVEL did. The team is out of sight out of MIND. You do it long enough folks find other books to buy and then when the FF comes back-you get lower sales because no one cares.

But you know what would be funny? We get a black Johnny Storm in Marvel. He has gotten more attention for FF than anything else. I wouldn't be shocked if Marvel did that.

I want to see a new FF series but I don't want to see any kind of deconstruction whatsoever. No "the team goes broke!" stories, or Reed/Sue marital strife plots. No more failed Thing cures.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What does that movie have to do with the comic?

Antman had 1 FAILED solo yet got a profitable film.

Blade has 3 profitable movie and at least 3 failed solos.

Big Hero 6 did well as a film.

The Green Lantern film didn't kill the comic books-all 6 of them

Steel film didn't kill the comic that last 4+ years

Catwoman didn't kill the comic.

Batman & Superman survived their box office bombs.

How does this ONE film destroy a franchise? Especially when there is NO MERCHANDISE from this film? This is ONE film. ONE film. ONE film.

All I see are bunch of bandwagon fans trashing Michael B. Jordan like he is the anti-Christ and Fox MUST give up the film rights.

The majority of the crying is folks not wanting a black Johnny Storm and it's mainly by folks who don't know what a FF comic looks like. Folks who haven't cared about that book in years but think crying about him will scare Marvel into getting rid of POC in books they are never going to read.

Where were all these "fans" when the comic was published? Oh that's RIGHT-complaining is FREE but putting your money where you mouth is not.

That film didn't kill the franchise-MARVEL did. The team is out of sight out of MIND. You do it long enough folks find other books to buy and then when the FF comes back-you get lower sales because no one cares.

But you know what would be funny? We get a black Johnny Storm in Marvel. He has gotten more attention for FF than anything else. I wouldn't be shocked if Marvel did that.
    Because it's a Brand that doesn't have strong pull already. F4 bombing hard isn't good for Fox as it doesn't have the chops to easily boost back from it especially with the campaign Marvel is doing to downplay it ever more. So whenever F4 gets a sequel they'll be completely irrelevant or practically non-existent in all other media thanks to Marvel.

We don't have a universe like UU anymore. I doubt Human Torch randomly becomes Black especially as Marvel doesn't care for Fox's subpar F4 movie.