Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Successful original Marvel characters in recent years

Comics tend to get flak for relying on legacy characters, but that got me thinking, who are the most original recent characters that have achieved a level of success on the same level as classic B-list, or even C-List Marvel characters?

By original, I mean characters that have not taken the mantle of a hero that existed prior, or a variation of an already existing character so characters like Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, and Spider-Gwen don't count. While we're at it, characters that started out with original identities but only became popular after taking on a legacy identity, don't count either.

The most recent that comes to mind for me, though it might be premature at this point, is Silk.

And by recent, I mean no further back than 2007.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 08-07-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Spectacular Member

Goldballs!

Phil Coulson! Daisy Johnson!

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Faiza Hussain. Any X-Man that's still popular.

BANNED

Karnak!!!!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm not sure why Kamala doesn't count, since she didn't replace Carol.

Besides that, Miss America is popular, so is Blue Marvel.

The characters being named all have fanbases, but that doesn't mean they're popular. They're in books that have poor sales. They're not being used in other media, or getting action figures.

Also, I'd say that longevity is something that needs to be factored into any of this type of discussion. For example, Silk is reasonably popular right now, but who knows how long she'll last? In 5 years, will anyone still care about her? It's way too early to tell.

Honestly, I don't think there's a single original character created in the last 15 years, who's not a legacy character, who's genuinely successful.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Wolverine went about 13 years before getting a solo, never mind getting more than a cameo in a cartoon, a movie, or even an action figure.

In general I think people are too hard on newer characters, and I think this thread should have a more elaborate measure (what is recent, and what is success).

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

The last really successful original character is probably Deadpool, and he's not exactly a recent creation. Maybe to a lesser extent, Quinton Quire?

We'll see what happens with ANAD Marvel, I genuinely get a sense of anything could happen. I think Blue Marvel could be a break out star.

BANNED

Yeah. Best chance of that happening is if Blue Marvel battles Black Adam.
    Black Adam always gives Captain Marvel a run for his money, so he'd be perfect to battle Blue Marvel.

Sentry, Hood?
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quite a few of Bendis' new students were very well liked; probably the most popular kids since Bew X-men. Sera, MAC and Troll too. All kids, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Sentry, Hood?
    You gone broke my sarcasm metre
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Jessica Jones is getting a Netflix series, although she hasn't been able to carry a solo comic...
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Blue Marvel - His profile is definitely rising. Has a heroclix figure on the way.

Kamala Khan - She's not a legacy to Carol. Will be a playable character on Lego Avengers.

Jessica Jones - She's got her own show.

Blue Marvel seems to have the most potential if we're not counting Ms. Marvel.

Jessica Jones as well, though I don't see why tbh. Never thought her interesting enough to warrant a Netflix series. Only ever had one decent run.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher