Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Successful original DC characters in recent years

Comics tend to get flak for relying on legacy characters, but that got me thinking, who are the most original recent characters that have achieved a level of success on the same level as classic B-list, or even C-List DC characters?

By original, I mean characters that have not taken the mantle of a hero that existed prior, or a variation of an already existing character so characters like Jaime Reyes, and Damian Wayne don't count. While we're at it, characters that started out with original identities but only became popular after taking on a legacy identity, don't count either, so no Stephanie Brown.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    While we're at it, characters that started out with original identities but only became popular after taking on a legacy identity, don't count either, so no Stephanie Brown.
    Steph had considerable fandom before becoming Batgirl.

Regardless, define "recent years"

The only one who I know that is actually recent and people seem to like is Bunker.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I'm going to say Skyrocket (Celia Forrestal)...hey she's had scenes with Firestorm....lol.

An original strong woman of diversity right here...and DC doesn't know what to do with her yet.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Steph had considerable fandom before becoming Batgirl.

Regardless, define "recent years"

The only one who I know that is actually recent and people seem to like is Bunker.
    Let's say as far back as 2007 counts as recent.

Stephanie Brown was a bad example on my part, since even if she did count (I'm unaware of how popular she was as Spoiler), she came on the scene around 20 years ago, so she wouldn't make the cut regardless.

Bunker
    Bluebird

Miss Martian? (Not completely sure how recently she was created though)

Duke Thomas kinda, maybe

Boisterously Confused

Recent years? I don't know if there's anyone. The most recent? Maybe Booster Gold?

Or maybe that's just me wishing his original concept had more successful than he has.

Astonishing Member

I'll agree with Bunker. And no Stephanie brown doesn't count imo. But with regards to recent years, can we do the last 10 years? If so I'll like to add in atrocitus.

Saint Walker is definitely my favourite 'new' character. (If we're counting 8 years as 'new')

BANNED

Yeah, if we can just define "successful", "recent" and maybe "character" we can have a fine discussion

Does 2005 count?

I think Solstice and Bunker are doing ok.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Yeah, if we can just define "successful", "recent" and maybe "character" we can have a fine discussion
    We can go by "character is not universally hated", "created in the last ten years" and "not a legacy by any angle possible".

I still only have Bunker, though.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Wow this is really sad. Like really really sad.

DC needs to work on this.

I can only think of Bunker, and Rankor, and maybe John Lane Kent.
    Bunker is only really meh. Since nothing really happened with the character, and he never took off
    Rankor had some good parts in Red Lanterns, so I really do like what was done there, but still meh.
    John Lane Kent who was universally hated. Who ironically had the best Superboy run (IMO).

Just Saint Walker for me then. (Who seems to have a fairly decent fan base so not universally hated.) I hadn't realised how many new characters were actually legacy characters before... or who have been around longer than I realised!

Retired

I haven't read it, but AMERICAN VAMPIRE seems to be an original concept--even though it's derivative of everything else involving vampires. It's not legacy or something that's been around for a long time.