Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

i like how people are saying no personal connection to villain. i'm in the minority who enjoyed the ASM movies but i thought this was a problem

Quote Originally Posted by MythicBrawn View Post
    I meant the first Nolan Batman movie. Ra's Al Ghul is an obscure Batman villain to the non-comic reading public. Scarecrow may not be as obscure, but he's not an A-lister either.
    In the Batman films, the creative team took great pains to flesh out the origin of their villains so the general viewing public had no question why they were there and what they wanted.

In ASM, we sort of knew what Electro wanted, but not really. Harry Osborn wanted to...not sure either. Rhino seemed to be just having fun, but who knows. Maybe he was suicidal?

In SM, Norman was a megolomaniac who took drugs that made him crazy and strong, and he wanted...not sure actually - to be respected maybe. Harry wanted Spider-Man to die after thinking he killed Norman. Doc Ock wanted to prove his science was better than anyone else's science. Sandman wanted peace or something. Venom wanted Peter Parker dead.

Actually not sure either franchise did all that well developing villain motivations. Ra's origin is like War and Peace compared to most of the Spider-Man villains we have seen so far.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Basically list the things you want the MCU Spider-Man movie to do or not do.
    Why do people refer to it as "the MCU Spider-Man movie"?

Isn't SONY still doing the movie, but working with Marvel? Aren't the Spider-Man movies still going to be separate from the Marvel franchise movies (which can now have Spider-Man in them)?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why do people refer to it as "the MCU Spider-Man movie"?

Isn't SONY still doing the movie, but working with Marvel? Aren't the Spider-Man movies still going to be separate from the Marvel franchise movies (which can now have Spider-Man in them)?
    The Spider-Man movies are still supposed to take place in the MCU, even though Sony is funding them. Marvel's Kevin Feige will be a producer for the new Spidey films.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicBrawn View Post
    I meant the first Nolan Batman movie. Ra's Al Ghul is an obscure Batman villain to the non-comic reading public. Scarecrow may not be as obscure, but he's not an A-lister either.
    I'd disagree as far as the comics are concerned.

But the general public is likely to be familiar with villains from the Burton films or the 60s tv show.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    1. One MAIN villain. There can be a minor villain for a "James Bond opening", that is fine. The main villain can have henchmen, that is also fine. But there needs to be one clear antagonist.

2. A main villain who isn't tied deeply to Peter's life, or incredibly sympathetic. It's fine to have a gangster like Mister Negative, or someone who just wants fame and power like Mysterio. It's fine to have a bad guy who's just some prick Peter's never met before.

3. Lots of focus on Peter's school life and peers. Flash Thompson, Liz Allen, Sally Avril, Betty Brant, Kong, Randy Robertson etc. The previous 5 films didn't get beyond Love Interest, Harry Osborn and Flash Thompson.

4. Differentiate who Peter is around his peers and who he is when he puts on the Spider-Man costume.

5. No Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy. They've been done enough. Save them for the sequels.

6. In fact, no grand romances. Peter is a high school student. It's fine for him to just have a crush on that one girl who smiled at him in English class, or Black Cat because she has nice cleavage.

7. Doing the right thing as Spider-Man should have a negative impact on Peter Parker's personal life. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't".

8. Bring back JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson. A lot of people have become burned out on Spider-Man movies, but this would win over even the most cynical.

9. Underarm webs.
    This list, to a T. Though I would be ok if JK Simmons wasn't brought back as JJJ, as perfect as he was. If the goal is to distance this movie from all the others, then they would have to recast JJJ just like they are recasting everyone else.

#6 on your list is spot on as well. Have him have a crush on Liz Allen or maybe Betty Brant at the Bugle, but other than that leave the big romances for college. And while I have brought up college, save that for the 3rd movie at the earliest.

But yeah, either way I think I am going to enjoy whatever comes from this. Spidey is my favorite and I enjoy everything he is in. Even if it isn't the greatest thing critically or commercially, I can still find something I enjoy about it.

My wishes have sorta been dashed already.

1. College Peter Parker
    2. No Aunt May (Maybe a brief mention or a brief Phone call)
    3. NO ORIGIN STORY!
    4. An equal balance of Spidey Action and Humor
    5. A villain who isn't one dimensional (Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 is still to me the quintessential villain. Better than any villain on screen so far since....well the Kingpin from Daredevil could give him a run for his money though)
    6. And finally. A love interest that does contribute to the story. (Gwen from ASM actually contributed in both movies, so something along the lines of that)

I would love for the new MCU Spidey to be like Spider-Man 2, but with Holland being less like Tobey Maguire and more like Andrew Garfield.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    i like how people are saying no personal connection to villain. i'm in the minority who enjoyed the ASM movies but i thought this was a problem
    That was the only redeeming quality about Electro's story. He had absolutely nothing to do with Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    1: No references to Peter's biological parents. I don't want to hear the name "Richard Parker."
    Disagree. I think it is important to acknowledge that Peter's parents aren't around. I don't think they need to make it a focus whatsoever but I think it is an important part of what makes Peter Parker Peter Parker. I would also like them to start building towards "Venom" (in an Ultimate Comics sort of way, as that makes way more sense with the universe they are trying to create), perhaps for the sequel.

2: I would like to see Mary Jane again in some capacity. The production team of the last set of films felt the need to diminish her in interviews and in the films. So let's have her be here and awesome as a "screw you" to the people who made horrible Spidey films.
    I would like to see the new series take a page out of The Spectacular Spider-Man show where Gwen and Peter have a will-they, won't-they relationship for a few films while MJ and Harry are close friends to the pair of them. What would be even cooler is a Scrubs-esque situation where Peter and MJ are really close but MJ and Gwen are best friends while Harry and MJ don't really interact that much alone. Sorry, probably been watching too much Scrubs but, as a recent high school graduate, that feels really high school to me. I would love to see those four interact. Especially as I feel like Gwen dying should happen again, not now but eventually, and have an impact on the supporting cast other than Peter. If you don't introduce Gwen as a primary love interest in either of the first two films but introduce MJ, then that can't happen. And I really want to see that happen.

3: A brand new villain we have never seen before. I would love for it to be Mysterio.
    Oh, total agreement here. I would love for it to tie in a little bit to the Netflix stuff and have Mysterio, essentially, be vying for the top spot in the criminal underworld. Sure, the motivation is relatively lame but so are the motivations for most Marvel Studios villains and Mysterio has never really had the best of motivations anyway. The real great thing would be the visual treat of watching his "illusions" and stuff.

4: Flash Thompson maybe actually doing something.
    Yes, please go The Spectacular Spider-Man (and original Lee/Ditko run) with him. That would be really awesome and provide one of the most interesting relationship dynamics in comics.

5: The Bugle cast. Miss those guys.
    #BringBackJKSimmonsAsJJonahJameson
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BANNED

When did wanting to be the best in your profession, criminal or otherwise, become lame?

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I agree completely with the statement of having no sympathetic villains. I'm tired of seeing Spider-Man having cry scenes with his rogues gallery.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Disagree. I think it is important to acknowledge that Peter's parents aren't around. I don't think they need to make it a focus whatsoever but I think it is an important part of what makes Peter Parker Peter Parker. I would also like them to start building towards "Venom" (in an Ultimate Comics sort of way, as that makes way more sense with the universe they are trying to create), perhaps for the sequel.
    Richard Parker is symbolic of the underperforming Amazing Spider-Man films, and the thing that Sony execs, and Marvel execs, hated.

I would be quite surprised if the name "Richard Parker" showed up in any capacity.

I would like to see the new series take a page out of The Spectacular Spider-Man show where Gwen and Peter have a will-they, won't-they relationship for a few films while MJ and Harry are close friends to the pair of them. What would be even cooler is a Scrubs-esque situation where Peter and MJ are really close but MJ and Gwen are best friends while Harry and MJ don't really interact that much alone. Sorry, probably been watching too much Scrubs but, as a recent high school graduate, that feels really high school to me. I would love to see those four interact. Especially as I feel like Gwen dying should happen again, not now but eventually, and have an impact on the supporting cast other than Peter. If you don't introduce Gwen as a primary love interest in either of the first two films but introduce MJ, then that can't happen. And I really want to see that happen.
    The ASM films killed Gwen. You can't go back to a told story 3 years after ASM 2 (new Spidey will be out about 3 years after ASM 2). These movies will want to carve out their own identity as much as possible. And considering how much shade they threw at ASM for retelling the origin, the new films retelling The Night Gwen Stacy Died would be something I think many people would be unhappy with. I know I would be unhappy with them doing TNGSD again, especially so soon.

Coincidentally, the new film is being planned now. While RYV is being published (and selling really well. The first issue was the best selling tie-in to Secret Wars, even outselling the first issue of Civil War).

Oh, total agreement here. I would love for it to tie in a little bit to the Netflix stuff and have Mysterio, essentially, be vying for the top spot in the criminal underworld. Sure, the motivation is relatively lame but so are the motivations for most Marvel Studios villains and Mysterio has never really had the best of motivations anyway. The real great thing would be the visual treat of watching his "illusions" and stuff.
    Special FX are at that point where Mysterio could be really well done on film.

Ant-Man did a pretty decent job showing us that the stakes don't have to be the world/all of reality.

Yes, please go The Spectacular Spider-Man (and original Lee/Ditko run) with him. That would be really awesome and provide one of the most interesting relationship dynamics in comics.
    They did some interesting stuff with Flash in ASM 1. But he vanished from ASM 2 pretty quickly.

#BringBackJKSimmonsAsJJonahJameson
    We'll have to wait and see.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    My wishes have sorta been dashed already.

1. College Peter Parker
    2. No Aunt May (Maybe a brief mention or a brief Phone call)
    3. NO ORIGIN STORY!
    4. An equal balance of Spidey Action and Humor
    5. A villain who isn't one dimensional (Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 is still to me the quintessential villain. Better than any villain on screen so far since....well the Kingpin from Daredevil could give him a run for his money though)
    6. And finally. A love interest that does contribute to the story. (Gwen from ASM actually contributed in both movies, so something along the lines of that)
    They've repeatedly stated that there will be no origin story, so it sounds like your wish will be granted on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I agree completely with the statement of having no sympathetic villains. I'm tired of seeing Spider-Man having cry scenes with his rogues gallery.
    When has that happened outside of Sandman in SM3?