Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: "Fantastic Four" Is Super Only In Its Mediocrity

With a plodding story, uninspired dialogue and lack of fun or action, Josh Trank's "Fantastic Four" reboot is a profound mess.

Full article here.

"Please, let this film be the death knell of the "gritty" reboot."

I guess they have to kill Zack Snyder first.
    My Blog about comics, games and stuff in german: Nerdenthum

I said when I saw the first trailer it looked more like SHIT-tastic 4, and it sounds like I was right. I just hope it tanks hard at the box office and Marvel can get the rights back for Phase 4. I wasn't convinced this would be any good though when all the 'hype' Trank and the rest were coming out with was it was 'grounded' and 'realistic'. I was like, it's the FANTASTIC FOUR! it's not meant to be grounded and realistic you idiots! And I'm not even a huge F4 fan! (I liked the previous movies and largely enjoyed Ultimate F4, but that's the limits of my experience)
    I surrender to the Contest

Fantastic Member

It's too bad that a movie that had some much respect and reverence for the original source material turned out to be so rotten.

Just joking! I saw this coming from a mile away! Hope it bombs so the rights can revert back to Marvel as they are not ashamed to make movies that don't try to ignore the comic book source material.

i'm still excited to see this movie no matter what. i just want to see doom murder a bunch of people. as long as that happens, and the actors do a great job, then i will be a happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebolt1967 View Post
    It's too bad that a movie that had some much respect and reverence for the original source material turned out to be so rotten.
    they really cannot win. tell an original story, they aren't true to the source material. straight up adapt the ultimate ff, they are not true to the source material.

yet marvel can adapt from ultimates all they want, make up their own stuff along the way that totally ignores the source, and they get nothing but praise.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

They could win by doing proper takes on the Fantastic Four and Doom. Latverian Monarch, family of heroes in a Kirby Impossible science world, and just skip the origin and have the kids established, use Hickman's run and the classic stories for inspiration. MCU could handle it this way...

Movie 1. Use another FF villain like the Skrulls or the Frightful Four, but have Doom as background menace.

Movie 2. Doom revealed, teaming up with another villain like he did with Namor. Spidey as supporting character.

Movie 3. Straight adapt Coming of Galactus/Doomsday story with some Avengers and Spidey as Support.

but why do they have to do that though? mcu gets to adapt from ultimate marvel yet no one else is allowed to? i do not understand this logic.

now, if the pacing of the story is a problem, that's a valid complaint to me.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    With a plodding story, uninspired dialogue and lack of fun or action, Josh Trank's "Fantastic Four" reboot is a profound mess.

Full article here.
    This article feels like it should have ended with "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i'm still excited to see this movie no matter what. i just want to see doom murder a bunch of people. as long as that happens, and the actors do a great job, then i will be a happy.

they really cannot win. tell an original story, they aren't true to the source material. straight up adapt the ultimate ff, they are not true to the source material.

yet marvel can adapt from ultimates all they want, make up their own stuff along the way that totally ignores the source, and they get nothing but praise.
    I guess I was turned off by the director telling the cast not to bother reading any of the comics as they were basically irrelevant. Additionally, I wasn't too happy with some of the spoilers I've read about the Thing as they don't seem to consistent with his character. Also not a fan of Johnny and Sue not being biological siblings and believe the studio hatched up the adoption thing to avoid an inter-racial relationship between Reed and Sue. Was also not a big fan of the movie makers stating how "grounded" the movie was going to be, which seems the opposite of the FANTASTIC Four. Seems like the movie makers wanted to make a movie about some superheroes that wasn't about the FF.

I hope you enjoy the movie but it sounds like it might be kind of a dreadful experience. Also, Dr. Doom isn't just about killing people. He's a tad above that on the villainy-scale

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

You're comparing apples and suspension bridges. They straight up adapted nothing, changing everything, made it clear from interviews they had no real familiarity with the source material and Mara even said she was encouraged NOT to read any of the source material, plus the movie is shittily made on every level because Trank wanted Chronicle 2, couldn't get it, and then tried to shoehorn the two franchises together all while BSing that Jordan got the role because he was the "best man" for the job when the reality is that he got the role because he's a friend and the part was written FOR him and he'd made up his mind he was getting him into the movie before casting even began.

The fact that even non comic fans, who make up 99% of the moviegoing public, are tanking this film shows that it's way beyond any issues of "faithfulness."

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

but why do they have to do that though? mcu gets to adapt from ultimate marvel yet no one else is allowed to? i do not understand this logic.

But they DIDN'T adapt from the Ultimate. The ONLY thing that's adapted is the portal. Sue Storm isn't even an American in the movie. Doom is completely different from ANY incarnation, their powers are gotten for different reasons, etc.

no i'm not. everything i have read says that they did the ultimate ff. ???

so what if they changed a few little things here and there? did anyone lose their minds when they made tony the daddy of ultron? or mad hank paym an old man and killed of janet van dyne? no, they're "geniuses!"

double standards much.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think it's because when it comes down to it the Ultimates and USM were the areas people accepted most, and even then the Avengers movies have really only used certain elements, most notably Jackson's Fury but also some of Stark's personality, Thor's look and the Chituari as enemies. We didn't have an anti-French Cap, an Asian Wasp or a cannibal-eqse Hulk in the movie.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charles J. Baserap View Post
    But they DIDN'T adapt from the Ultimate. The ONLY thing that's adapted is the portal. Sue Storm isn't even an American in the movie. Doom is completely different from ANY incarnation, their powers are gotten for different reasons, etc.
    Not to mention how the movie deals with the Thing. SPOLIERISH territory for those who plan to see the movie, but sounds like he is a killer working for the government. Seems a little out of character for our ever-loving blue-eyed Thing.