Extraordinary Member

Default Marvel Video Game universe

Would you be interested in seeing Marvel try and create a shared video game universe the same way the did with the MCU?

Amazing Member

If they had a good idea for the games themselves that continuity and a cohesive universe was a good idea. That being said though the most desired games for comic book characters are going to be a fighting game and team up crawlers. With those they are best keeping continuity within their own series (if they want them).

Now if we were talking some kind of reboot idea where we discover the marvel universe or a series where each game takes you to play as different teams in a long cohesive storyline that plays out within several games, now those would be good uses of a "universe".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattPriceTime View Post
    If they had a good idea for the games themselves that continuity and a cohesive universe was a good idea. That being said though the most desired games for comic book characters are going to be a fighting game and team up crawlers. With those they are best keeping continuity within their own series (if they want them).

Now if we were talking some kind of reboot idea where we discover the marvel universe or a series where each game takes you to play as different teams in a long cohesive storyline that plays out within several games, now those would be good uses of a "universe".
    I'm thinking they could do multiple genre's but have each game use a character that fits that genre well.

For instance, a punisher game could be a GTA style open world game, with the punisher going around killing criminals

A Cap game could be a WW2 FPS style game, with Marvel's other WW2 era characters pitching in

Thread Killer

This is my first post since re-registration, and even before that I hadn't been posting much. I love Marvel Comics and I love video games. Its mind boggling to me that Marvel can't seem to put together a good video game since Ultimate Alliance, which even upon the 2 installments releases, were antiquated by other games graphics, engines and overall design. What those two games did have though, are what comic fans are looking for: character customization, rpg elements of leveling up, large casts of playable characters and even more NPCs, and most importantly, epic story lines (that are loosely based on popular stories told in the source material).

What we get though, are knock-off movie-based video games which are always horrible, kid games, and fighting games. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad they make Lego Marvel, and superhero squad or whatever, that generates interest in the next generation of true believers. What I want though, and I'm sure many other adult comic book/video game geeks have been waiting for though, is a great, innovative, interactive video game with a story and cast based in the Marvel Universe. Here are my thoughts on such a game:

Open-World(?)- Skyrim and GTA are by and far some of the most impressive video games to date. The world in which the player can access is tremendous, but more importantly, the freedom to go where ever, when ever, has huge appeal. There's also the fact that there are seemingly endless amounts of side missions. Then there's the crucial character customization. But more so than any other aspect, what sets these 2 games apart from the rest of the industry are the developers and their budget. One of the few factors of the Disney acquisition that has me optimistic about the future of Marvel video games is that Disney has the ability to reach out to major developers and collaborate on projects. If they can make a crappy concept like Kingdom Hearts and execute it so well that fans (myself included) will still get excited about a rumored 3rd installment almost a decade later, someone, somewhere, is doing something right.

For as many shortcomings that Mass Effect 3 had, which most of the complaints stemmed from the cop-out ending, would like to point towards their multi-player aspect. For those who didn't play it, let me summarize: 4 player co-op against waves of enemies. Players start off with 2 basic, human characters in each of the 6 classes, with basic weaponry, and acquire currency and experience to level up and unlock new weapons and classes. With a total of 72 different characters to choose from, and who knows how many weapons, the dynamic between the 4-man team are almost endless, providing a unique experience in playing what would be an otherwise dull and repetitive format. Each character had unique abilities and looks. Another interesting aspect was that the amount of time spent playing the online mode had implications on the story line, but by no means required. The reason I bring this game up is because of how diverse the characters are in the MU, both in looks and power sets. I would use ME3 as an example template when trying to figure out how to give players the option of playing with a Punisher-style guns blazing character, an Iron Man/Nova-style energy projection and flight, or a street level, bust 'em up melee, Luke Cage/Hulk, etc.

Personally, I have little interest in MMOs, as they require an internet connection with a lot of bandwidth, and usually a monthly fee incurs. MMOs also focus more on grinding through levels and hoarding loot than actual story line and character development, which are the most important aspects of a Marvel-based video game that I am looking for. Aside from that, I want to see a "class system" that would offer unique game play experiences when switching between completely different types of characters, as opposed to Marvel Ultimate Alliance. The buttons on my controller should be used in a completely different way if I was to switch between Punisher and Cap, as if I was playing Call of Duty, then UFC, without switching games.

All that being said, I think Marvel Puzzle Quest is the best Marvel game to date.

Quote Originally Posted by ROM_Reborn View Post
    This is my first post since re-registration, and even before that I hadn't been posting much. I love Marvel Comics and I love video games. Its mind boggling to me that Marvel can't seem to put together a good video game since Ultimate Alliance, which even upon the 2 installments releases, were antiquated by other games graphics, engines and overall design. What those two games did have though, are what comic fans are looking for: character customization, rpg elements of leveling up, large casts of playable characters and even more NPCs, and most importantly, epic story lines (that are loosely based on popular stories told in the source material).

What we get though, are knock-off movie-based video games which are always horrible, kid games, and fighting games. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad they make Lego Marvel, and superhero squad or whatever, that generates interest in the next generation of true believers. What I want though, and I'm sure many other adult comic book/video game geeks have been waiting for though, is a great, innovative, interactive video game with a story and cast based in the Marvel Universe. Here are my thoughts on such a game:

Open-World(?)- Skyrim and GTA are by and far some of the most impressive video games to date. The world in which the player can access is tremendous, but more importantly, the freedom to go where ever, when ever, has huge appeal. There's also the fact that there are seemingly endless amounts of side missions. Then there's the crucial character customization. But more so than any other aspect, what sets these 2 games apart from the rest of the industry are the developers and their budget. One of the few factors of the Disney acquisition that has me optimistic about the future of Marvel video games is that Disney has the ability to reach out to major developers and collaborate on projects. If they can make a crappy concept like Kingdom Hearts and execute it so well that fans (myself included) will still get excited about a rumored 3rd installment almost a decade later, someone, somewhere, is doing something right.

For as many shortcomings that Mass Effect 3 had, which most of the complaints stemmed from the cop-out ending, would like to point towards their multi-player aspect. For those who didn't play it, let me summarize: 4 player co-op against waves of enemies. Players start off with 2 basic, human characters in each of the 6 classes, with basic weaponry, and acquire currency and experience to level up and unlock new weapons and classes. With a total of 72 different characters to choose from, and who knows how many weapons, the dynamic between the 4-man team are almost endless, providing a unique experience in playing what would be an otherwise dull and repetitive format. Each character had unique abilities and looks. Another interesting aspect was that the amount of time spent playing the online mode had implications on the story line, but by no means required. The reason I bring this game up is because of how diverse the characters are in the MU, both in looks and power sets. I would use ME3 as an example template when trying to figure out how to give players the option of playing with a Punisher-style guns blazing character, an Iron Man/Nova-style energy projection and flight, or a street level, bust 'em up melee, Luke Cage/Hulk, etc.

Personally, I have little interest in MMOs, as they require an internet connection with a lot of bandwidth, and usually a monthly fee incurs. MMOs also focus more on grinding through levels and hoarding loot than actual story line and character development, which are the most important aspects of a Marvel-based video game that I am looking for. Aside from that, I want to see a "class system" that would offer unique game play experiences when switching between completely different types of characters, as opposed to Marvel Ultimate Alliance. The buttons on my controller should be used in a completely different way if I was to switch between Punisher and Cap, as if I was playing Call of Duty, then UFC, without switching games.

All that being said, I think Marvel Puzzle Quest is the best Marvel game to date.
    You may like Avengers Alliance Tactics. It's pretty similar to the Ultimate Alliance games but with a Final Fantasy Tactics gameplay.