Page 677 of 678 FirstFirst ... 177577627667673674675676677678 LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,155 of 10158
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    IMO that's all it has ever been. There's a great book called White Rage that explains all of this. It's in audio form on you tube. It still applies to today's politics. Trump supporters use economic anxiety as a smoke screen.
    I wouldn't be surprised that a strong portion of those fellas genuinely are in it for things other than racism (farming/rural/breadbasket issues are probably a good ways apart from metropolitan or information age issues). Problem is, they don't want to believe their "brushing shoulders" with the hatemongers who have already formed a sizable enough subgroup to become the "face" of this crowd (eg. the photo of that Capitol rioter with that antisemitic t-shirt in full view is most telling). Hence the shilling of conspiracy theories about Antifa plants out to "smear" the movement. Those making them are probably doubling down on a "no true scotsman" fallacy, seeing themselves as the right and proper conservatives/republicans who were essentially framed. So, to sum up, a mixture of card-carrying racists and those in desperate denial of the former walking beside them for their own nefarious reasons still makes for an ugly result that loops on itself. More directly and punitively dealing with the former bracket is a no-brainer. Those in the latter however probably will only come around if they have a jarring personal experience that not even the most reinforced tinfoil hat can explain away.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-12-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    The business failures that he always came back from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    His businesses don't come back from his failures.
    Let's hope that this time, Trump does not come back from the failure, but America does.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

This thread is a who's who of banned accounts.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    This thread is a who's who of banned accounts.
    It's funny, most of us on the Politics Thread are Liberal to Left, and the one or two conservatives are center-right. We have pretty heated exchanges, but nothing that approaches getting banned. Yet all the Trumpers come for a while and end up getting banned. There or in another thread. I think that says something.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's funny, most of us on the Politics Thread are Liberal to Left, and the one or two conservatives are center-right. We have pretty heated exchanges, but nothing that approaches getting banned. Yet all the Trumpers come for a while and end up getting banned. There or in another thread. I think that says something.
    It's difficult to defend indefensible policies and ideas. When backed into a corner it's easier to lash out and get banned than to do the unthinkable and admit you may have been wrong.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It's difficult to defend indefensible policies and ideas. When backed into a corner it's easier to lash out and get banned than to do the unthinkable and admit you may have been wrong.
    And to this day I suspect those people who were banned still refuse to admit they were wrong.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And to this day I suspect those people who were banned still refuse to admit they were wrong.
    I can guarantee it, even after January 6th.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Some of the banned accounts were once regulars on the X-boards and may have very likely been hit by the hammer for how they acted over there.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Some of the banned accounts were once regulars on the X-boards and may have very likely been hit by the hammer for how they acted over there.
    I don't read X books, is that forum particularly contentious?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don't know about them but there are still plenty of delusional Trump supporters. I have a former boss who still posts on FB laughing about how liberals seriously believe Biden will be sworn in. And this is after January 6th. This is a guy who believes every whack job conspiracy theory out there and there's even an implication to his remarks that Biden will never get to say the words that will make him the President.

While I have not seen anybody else I ever knew in person go that far- and most of them seem genuinely horrified at the loss of life- they still will not accept that Biden really won and that there was not this massive voter fraud that there is no evidence of. So the reaction here is probably just Conservative reaction in microcosm.
    Power with Girl is better.

I don't read X books, is that forum particularly contentious?
    Not as bad as it was, but it used to be terrible. Trollthreads being created often, people jumping into character appreciation threads to trash said character, and so on. Many people didn't seem to live their fave so much as despise the existence of other other characters. There's still a couple like that, where a character they dislike seems to be living in their head rent-free, or taking their fave not being written as a God Mode Mary Sue as irrefutable proof of an author's vendetta against them, but it has mostly calmed down.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 01-17-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Isn't the Trump Healthcare plan great? And it's almost 4 years since the complete defeat of ISIS. I also am grateful that the COVID virus just went away. What was it 15 cases and then down to 0? So much winning.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I think early August 2018 was my favorite Infrastructure Week.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Not as bad as it was, but it used to be terrible. Trollthreads being created often, people jumping into character appreciation threads to trash said character, and so on. Many people didn't seem to live their fave so much as despise the existence of other other characters. There's still a couple like that, where a character they dislike seems to be living in their head rent-free, or taking their fave not being written as a God Mode Mary Sue as irrefutable proof of an author's vendetta against them, but it has mostly calmed down.
    That forum is incredibly lax, I'm amazed with what posters get away with there. Trolls thrive in that section where others are vastly more friendly.

Thankfully Trump is on the way out but I worry about the 20th. Trump's damned the country by putting fuel on right wing terrorism. Politicians should have been more protected years ago by security, especially Pelosi and AOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That forum is incredibly lax, I'm amazed with what posters get away with there. Trolls thrive in that section where others are vastly more friendly.

Thankfully Trump is on the way out but I worry about the 20th. Trump's damned the country by putting fuel on right wing terrorism. Politicians should have been more protected years ago by security, especially Pelosi and AOC.
    This is what irks me. We have heard that many of the GOP Congresspeople voted against certification because they feared threats from their constituents. They were afraid of the people who voted for them. Meanwhile Congresspeople like AOC and ilhan Omar get daily death threats and they still do their jobs. What cowards these Republicans are.