Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Archie" Debuts in Top Ten, But "Star Wars," Secret Wars" Fuel Marvel to Top of July Sales

Archie Comics' flagship overhaul paid off for the publisher, but Marvel remained the top company overall.

Full article here.

I'm wondering if Fables also appeared on the floppies chart, since it was a weird combo issue #150 and trade vol 22. I'm not surprised it's in he top slot, since it would be caught by people's pull lists, whereas so many other trade sales are through non-Diamond channels.

Spectacular Member

I never much cared for Archie. Even as a small boy, it seemed ... childish, immature.
    But Waid and Staples got me reading - and even after a few pages, I was enjoying it.
    Can't wait for the next issu.
    (And yes, it's very odd to write that about Archie comics.)

What caused IDW's boost?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Man, DC used to be neck and neck with Marvel even flipping 1st place publisher. What has happened to them? I don't read anything by them is this the end result of new 52?

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    Man, DC used to be neck and neck with Marvel even flipping 1st place publisher. What has happened to them? I don't read anything by them is this the end result of new 52?
    It's not what happened to DC, but what happened to Marvel. And the answer is:
    - Star Wars and its speculators
    - Event after event after event
    - Dozens of tie-ins and variants covers
    - Constant relaunch of books, with a new #1 almost every month

It's not DC that is selling LESS, they're doing good, thank you! It's Marvel that is selling MORE. But they're selling more using a formula that is not healthy for the comics market in the long run. And, due to "cheerleading", some people just refuse to understand that.
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 08-09-2015 at 06:22 AM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Yeah, I do wonder how much Archie was boosted by variant covers. It was a good issue though.

It's not DC that is selling LESS, they're doing good, thank you! It's Marvel that is selling MORE. But they're selling more using a formula that is not healthy for the comics market on the long run. And, due to "cheerleading", some people just refuse to understand that.
    Sounds like we may return to the 90s again

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Sounds like we may return to the 90s again
    I think we are already there.

So Archie sold less than 100k? Do we know how they are doing besides the direct market?

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    It's not DC that is selling LESS, they're doing good, thank you! It's Marvel that is selling MORE. But they're selling more using a formula that is not healthy for the comics market on the long run. And, due to "cheerleading", some people just refuse to understand that.
    I agree with you there. I hate how dependent Marvel has become on all of those for a sales boost when it probably isn't necessary in the first place. Constant events, relaunches and books with shiny new #1 on them are just a band aid that only temporarily stems the bleeding of readers from books without addressing the underlying problem of why books bleed readers at all. It's really not going to do the industry any good in the long run. Personally, I'd be a lot happier if Marvel had less events, relaunches and shiny number ones and more comics that are just telling a good story with the characters that I love. I don't think Marvel would lose all that much ground if they just simply did that and they might find that it makes them more money then the constant event, relaunch, #1 issues model they have going now.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    So Archie sold less than 100k? Do we know how they are doing besides the direct market?
    I am wondering if the "new look" Archie comics will also be collected in digests that get sold at supermarket checkouts all over the US.

BANNED

I'm happy to see Archie #1 in the top 10. Hope it continues to sell well.

I'm surprised to see Age of Apocalypse #1 in the top 10 but the movie version prolly help , aside from awesome art.

I'm really surprised that Civil War #1 is #3. Prolly a lot of Marvel Comics readers love the original Civil War event.

And, wow! Just wow! Secret Wars continues to take the top spot on its fourth issue. I am already considering Secret Wars as the best Marvel story/event ever, no matter what story will we get on the succeeding issues.

Star Wars will continue to sell well because of the upcoming movie.

DC should already have an idea of tying to extend their comics like getting Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. DC can get those but Marvel , please get DOTA.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    It's not what happened to DC, but what happened to Marvel. And the answer is:
    - Star Wars and its speculators
    - Event after event after event
    - Dozens of tie-ins and variants covers
    - Constant relaunch of books, with a new #1 almost every month

Stars Wars was handled by a different comic company before but didn't sell well. Marvel just did better so even if Star wars is not originally from comics, we give credit to marvel for making great stories on their Star Wars comics.

The formula that Marvel is doing is good and better in the long run.

The only thing I complain with marvel Comics is hiring artists whose art are not appealing. If Marvel will only get artist who can provide us good/beautiful art, then those comics would sell better. (All New all -different New Avengers, All New all -different Uncanny Avengers, and more. For the The Unbeatable Squirrel girl, at least it fits to the stories made by North.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I am wondering if the "new look" Archie comics will also be collected in digests that get sold at supermarket checkouts all over the US.
    Not sure, but I got my copy of Archie #1 on the magazine rack of my local supermarket (Kroger) next to some of those Archie Digests. So it is already in supermarkets, even if it is not collected in digest form.

-M

Gotta love it. Every month Marvel kicks DC's arse, and every month some fanboy ties himself in knots to explain why it doesn't really count.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Star Wars will continue to sell well because of the upcoming movie.
    I thought it was already obvious.

Stars Wars was handled by a different comic company before but didn't sell well.
    Do you really want to compare Dark Horse's marketing and hype machine with Marvel's?

The formula that Marvel is doing is good and better in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Gotta love it. Every month Marvel kicks DC's arse, and every month some fanboy ties himself in knots to explain why it doesn't really count.
    Like i said...