Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Biggest Bendis flops/disappointments

I know there are a lot of Bendis haters out there but he has written some good/great stories, most of Ultimate Spider Man, Dark Avengers, Spider Men, and Daredevil.

For me my biggest disappointment with Bendis came with Avengers Assemble, you had him writing Avengers with Bagley drawing and Thanos as the villain, what could go wrong? It was just boring and dragged way too long for my tastes. Some of the New Avengers issues with the Hood went way too long as well. I've enjoyed most of his New Avengers run as well as his Avengers and New Avengers during the Heroic Age and am enjoying the 2 x-men titles he is writing right now.

I never tried his Spider Woman and Moon Knight so I was wondering if either of those are as disappointing to people as his Avengers Assemble run was disappointing to me.

So fellow forum members, is there a series/storyline where you think he just tanked, or started a story strong but just couldn't maintain a great level of quality throughout the rest of the story be it a 2, 4, or 6 parter.

If this is the wrong forum for this thread, please move this to the Marvel Comics forum as deleting my thread doesn't seem to be available to me.
    Last edited by Avengers1986; 06-02-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Marvel forum is more appropriate, I've been mostly happy with the Bendis titles I've read. I'm a huge fan of his Daredevil/Powers/Alias.

his entire run on Avengers/New Avengers.

I think Bendis is a great writer.
    I love his Ultimate Spider-Man and X-Men stuff. I liked his Avengers/New Avengers stuff.

The thing that I really don't like of his is GotG. It's just isn't up to scratch compared to the previous run.
    I guess his Avengers Assemble opening arc as well, but that was pretty much an introduction to his GotG. So I count it together.

BANNED

GoTG

I liked his Avengers run. I'm currently loving his Uncanny X-men run. I find his GoTG run to be a crime against comics.

I think Bendis is a great writer; but I'm still very sad he killed off Doctor Voodoo and Victoria Hand, after building both up so well. For me that would be "the biggest" disappointment.

BANNED

I was really disappointed with Avengers #21. Storm was awesome on the cover but Bendis wrote her poorly. I mean, if you're going to have somebody join the team, the character should be written well first or shine.

Age of Ultron. 'Nuff said!

I've enjoyed some of what Bendis has done but I feel most of his writing is average at best. For recent work I really enjoyed the Death of Daredevil mini series. Overall though, I tend to stay away from what he writes. After years and years of ruining a franchise that I loved for almost 40 years, I admit I have grown tired of him and his habits.

As a big Powers fan, I find its release schedule and delays sometimes to be offensive. If they can't publish it with some semblance of regularity, the point of serialized comic books, they should wrap the series up. I think Bendis may be too busy with his Marvel stuff at times to devote proper attention to his creator owned stuff. I foresee a Powers style release schedule after the first arc of United States of Murder.

You cant knock the excellence of Powers, Alias, and Ultimate Spiderman...but Bendis whole Avengers run and his GoTG stuff have been dissapointing. At times during his long Avengers stint there were decent arcs..but the stuff just routinely fizzled. It was hard to find stuff that was eithet good or bad through the core. But in the end it just all seemed to aimless.GoTG is shaping out to be exactly the same..although the book suffers greatly from tie ins and guest stars.

Bendis has always excelled at light hearted ir comedic dialogue..which has somewhat always taken the edge of his worst stuff..and frankly makes even the most wayward stories somewhat enjoyable.

Im not sure what happened to moon knight..maybe it was just too dark.

Bendis is also extremely poor at observing continuity, even in stuff thats running concurrent with his books. There is almost a disdainful arrogance to this, and its been the ire of many Avengers and cosmic fans. He has also been known to form vendettas against certain characters and deconstruct them.

So far, Avengers Age of Ultron would be my #1 choice. It was touted as being so planned and thought out..yet clearly looked out of place and rushed. Its villian was a let down and its impact vague and uncertain.

Secret Invasion is #2 for many of the same reasons. Also it aggravated me to no end this series could nit better utilize Richard Rider and the DnA cosmic characters..would have been a great place to prop up those properties.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 06-03-2014 at 04:50 AM.

Merc with a Mouth delvetheunknown's Avatar

His run on Ultimate Spider-Man was great. On another note, why do people hate GotG so much? Just curious.

Avengers #30.

I still can't get over that issue. I wish Marvel would give me my money back.

Astonishing Member

I don't think Bendis should be allowed to write events. Even if his base idea is decent enough, his technical craft for handling stories of that magnitude is woefully lacking considering how large the casts tend to be and his weakness with not making too many characters sound the same.

Generally speaking I don't think he handles "big" stories well, if it has to do with cosmic or high-level magic, it falls short.

I do think that he does excellent work when he's forced to tell a lot of story in a little bit of time. The Cage/Jones wedding in New Avengers Annual #1 or the FCBD lead-in to Siege were both two of his best issues not related to his indie work or USM.

Avengers Assemble was pretty bad. Other than that, I like his work.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.