Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Has Doom been built up at the expense of other villains?

I tried posting this on ComicVine but its gotten zero traction over there:

This was on my mind while I was catching up Secret Wars. There is no doubt that Doom has pretty much become the leading Marvel villain and is probably Hickman's favorite character to write. But does anyone think that Doom is kinda hogging the spotlight from other villains in the Marvel Universe?

Just spitballing, but could anyone see Red Skull or Magneto or Loki playing the role Doom currently is in this event. What does everyone else think? Should Doom step aside from the spotlight just a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I tried posting this on ComicVine but its gotten zero traction over there:

This was on my mind while I was catching up Secret Wars. There is no doubt that Doom has pretty much become the leading Marvel villain and is probably Hickman's favorite character to write. But does anyone think that Doom is kinda hogging the spotlight from other villains in the Marvel Universe?

Just spitballing, but could anyone see Red Skull or Magneto or Loki playing the role Doom currently is in this event. What does everyone else think? Should Doom step aside from the spotlight just a little?
    It seemed to me that for years Magneto had that same spotlight. For purposes of this story it makes perfect sense iI can see an imortal pulling it off, Like Loki) and it wasnt really just Doom, it was Strange who sacrificed 100% of his soul to gain immeasurable power.
    I also think theres a sense of poking at Fox for the FF issues. Theyve used Doom to tear apart that team and givea logucal end to the FF series.
    Over all, I like whats been done.

BANNED

There's never been a point in Marvel history where Dr. Doom hasn't had top billing!
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-07-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Doom has been massively overused for the last 15 years. To me it has watered the character down because seeing him now is not that special anymore. Back in the old days you knew when Doom showed up that it was going to be a big story. Now he is just everywhere all the time. It has made him boring to me.

Doom and Magneto should take a break for a while, let Kang, Skull and Green Gobbie be in the spotlight for a little bit

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Doom has been massively overused for the last 15 years. To me it has watered the character down because seeing him now is not that special anymore. Back in the old days you knew when Doom showed up that it was going to be a big story. Now he is just everywhere all the time. It has made him boring to me.
    100% agree with this. For me personally, depending on my mood, it has reached a point where I dont even bother buying a book when I see Doom being featured.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Well, I love me some Doom, but I dont read books where he shows up a lot so Im not burned out on him. I tend to ignore the big Marvel Events and dont read FF. And conceptually, I think he's the best villain in comics.

But I'm always up for any good villain to have his/her moment, so sure. Let Doom lie low for a while.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Amazing Member

Doom is my favourite comic book character bar none, and I'm bummed out if a month goes by without him appearing in at least one comic.

I'd love to see him get his own solo series, like Magneto and Loki have. Although classed as a villain, I think that he makes a great protagonist.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    There's never been a point in Marvel history where Dr. Doom hasn't had top billing!
    This is exactly what I thought when I read the title of the thread...Doom has been the premiere Marvel villan since the mid-60's

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHarry View Post
    Doom is my favourite comic book character bar none, and I'm bummed out if a month goes by without him appearing in at least one comic.

I'd love to see him get his own solo series, like Magneto and Loki have. Although classed as a villain, I think that he makes a great protagonist.
    Have you checked out the Books of Doom miniseries by Ed Brubaker? If not, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This is exactly what I thought when I read the title of the thread...Doom has been the premiere Marvel villan since the mid-60's
    That's true, but that doesn't really answer the question of whether or not he's been overused to the extent where he now overshadows other Marvel villains. I mean, we're currently in an event where part of the story is that he has subjugated almost every other Marvel character in his own self-made world, including some of the better Marvel villains, like Red Skull, Magneto, and others. Yes, Doom was always one of Marvel's best villains, but I don't know if he was always so prevalent that he literally ruled over all others.

Btw, I'm not saying that its something flawed about Secret Wars. I'm just pointing something out about it that doesn't seem to be being discussed.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-07-2015 at 05:50 PM.

I wouldn't think so. He came first and has escaped the redemption that has collapsed the appeal of many villains.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zolalnadia View Post
    Doom and Magneto should take a break for a while, let Kang, Skull and Green Gobbie be in the spotlight for a little bit
    I really hope Kang is going to be the next big bad-guy.
    Inhumans #0 has so many post-Secret Wars implications, and I really think he's going to be a force to be reckoned with soon.

Incredible Member

Kang I could see but I think how far they push him could be limited by the fact that Marvel studios doesn't have his rights but who knows. I doubt we'll see Norman/Green Goblin outside Spider-man's corner anytime soon now that their editorial team has control of him again.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Magneto hasn't really been a villain since House of M- and even then, it was revealed that he wasn't the bad guy.

And maybe you're too young or wasn't reading back then, but there was a year or two where Norman Osborn appeared in literally every comic set on Earth as the big bad guy.

Mighty Member

Agree, after Siege, Osborn was THE bad guy. Lets not forget that Loki got a lot of traction because of MCU. He was also the guy pulling the strings of the other baddies during Acts of Vengeance. Skull will never be THE bad guy because he's a Nazi. In story he has been the guy behind all the secret and evil organizations but beyond that, nobody will work with him.