Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Fantastic Four" On Track to Debut at #1 Despite Poor Reviews

"Fantastic Four" grossed $2.7 million in Thursday night showings, though the film currently has a 9 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Full article here.

Mighty Member

Mmmm, not so much: "Early estimates show the 20th Century Fox release struggling to hit $30 million for the weekend, which is well below the anticipated mid-$40 million mark."

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-off...ce-1201559318/

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Mmmm, not so much: "Early estimates show the 20th Century Fox release struggling to hit $30 million for the weekend, which is well below the anticipated mid-$40 million mark."

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-off...ce-1201559318/
    It's actually worse than that. The original tracking had it, supposedly, around $50 million or more. If they hit $40 million+ opening weekend, Fox has a shot at making its money back.

Ultimate Member

It'll probably open at number 1 but still bomb.

It's not projected to do well over the weekend.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

At the end of the day, given the sheer number of issues they've had to endure like Josh Trank, the ire of the long term fans, the critics and the multiple issues by multiple parties, even if FF makes a reasonable amount of money to have them consider a sequel properly, are the cast really going to want to go for it? I can see at least one of them deciding to drop that, contracts or not.

I will repeat my words to all who are thinking of seeing this movie out of morbid curiosity - don't. If you go to watch this you are as good as telling Fox you want more of this nonsense. If you want a decent chance of the MCU having the FF rights back, don't go to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It'll probably open at number 1 but still bomb.

It's not projected to do well over the weekend.
    $40 mil+ would be pretty respectable, wouldn't it? I mean, yes, the film probably will be struggling to reach that mark, but if they hit it, that's probably respectable for this particular movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    At the end of the day, given the sheer number of issues they've had to endure like Josh Trank, the ire of the long term fans, the critics and the multiple issues by multiple parties, even if FF makes a reasonable amount of money to have them consider a sequel properly, are the cast really going to want to go for it? I can see at least one of them deciding to drop that, contracts or not.

I will repeat my words to all who are thinking of seeing this movie out of morbid curiosity - don't. If you go to watch this you are as good as telling Fox you want more of this nonsense. If you want a decent chance of the MCU having the FF rights back, don't go to see it.
    I don't think that you should not see the movie because the rights should revert to Marvel.

You should not see the movie because by all accounts it's a bad movie. And honestly, we as moviegoers, deserve better from a project that sucked in 120 million dollars.

You should also not go see it if you, like me, suspect that FOX didn't really want to do a good movie as much as do a movie so that the rights to the franchise don't revert to Marvel.

I don't think that you should not see the movie because the rights should revert to Marvel.

You should not see the movie because by all accounts it's a bad movie. And honestly, we as moviegoers, deserve better from a project that sucked in 120 million dollars.

You should also not go see it if you, like me, suspect that FOX didn't really want to do a good movie as much as do a movie so that the rights to the franchise don't revert to Marvel.
    I think all of these reasons are valid. And clearly I only put 'more decent chance' than a certainty because we know that Fox will try other tactics before giving Marvel the rights back. But I feel like denying them the profit from fans tired of their attempts, especially when this one feels a dozen times worse than the previous two films in my opinion, makes the chance they'll be forced into a corner a little more possible.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    $40 mil+ would be pretty respectable, wouldn't it? I mean, yes, the film probably will be struggling to reach that mark, but if they hit it, that's probably respectable for this particular movie.
    Based on the recent info, the movie will do between $9.5M- $11m opening day including $2.7m midnights.

The movie isn't doing close to $40m this weekend. It's very likely going to open in the $20m-$30m range.

If it opens in that range, it's a complete bomb.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Ant-Man made 11.5% of it's weekend sales on Thursday. If Fant4stic performs in a similar trend and 2.7MIL is ~11.5 of it's total outcome, then the total weekend sum is ~23.4 MIL. Even if it follows MI:5 trend, the same formula leads a much more encouraging 37.5 MIL (but, lets be honest, that movie got stellar reviews and excellent word of mouth). All said and done, what I want to know is how did these people arrive at the conclusion that based on Thursday this movie would make 40+ MIL?!

Mighty Member

I think all of these reasons are valid. And clearly I only put 'more decent chance' than a certainty because we know that Fox will try other tactics before giving Marvel the rights back. But I feel like denying them the profit from fans tired of their attempts, especially when this one feels a dozen times worse than the previous two films in my opinion, makes the chance they'll be forced into a corner a little more possible.
    Haha, I know what you mean. I never thought I would see the day when I think fondly of the Jessica Alba and Chris Evans film as the best version of the FF... So sad

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The film will be lucky to make the $30 million according to Variety. It will be the lowest release comic book film since Green Hornet at $35 million. This one is an epic disaster for all.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Haha, I know what you mean. I never thought I would see the day when I think fondly of the Jessica Alba and Chris Evans film as the best version of the FF... So sad
    Heh, well in my opinion those films weren't all that bad, the core issues they had was the castings for Jessica Alba as Susan Storm and the Nip Tuck Guy as Doctor Doom and not retaining much of his comic origins, basically being a version of Lex Luthor really. But Evans was a decent Human Torch and I thought Ioan was perfect as Mister Fantastic, and whilst the effects could have been better Michael had the voice and personality of Ben Grimm down perfectly. It was the handling of Doom and two so-so plots of the films which brought it down.

I think not seeing this trainwreck so the rights revert (possibly) to Marvel is part and parcel with wanting to finally see a good FF movie. Does anyone here really think that there is a risk of Marvel (who managed to succeed with Guardians and Ant-Man) not being able to win with the the freaking Fantastic Four universe at their disposal?

Mighty Member

Heh, well in my opinion those films weren't all that bad, the core issues they had was the castings for Jessica Alba as Susan Storm and the Nip Tuck Guy as Doctor Doom and not retaining much of his comic origins, basically being a version of Lex Luthor really. But Evans was a decent Human Torch and I thought Ioan was perfect as Mister Fantastic, and whilst the effects could have been better Michael had the voice and personality of Ben Grimm down perfectly. It was the handling of Doom and two so-so plots of the films which brought it down.
    For me the most jarring thing was Jessica Alba. I had and still don't have anything against her as Sue Storm per say aside from the fact she was given blue contact lenses and her hair was bleached blond which considering her ethnicity just looked wrong (but at the same time they did not bother to even dye Chirs van's hair?!). And back then I was too young and naive to notice JA's ethnicity or consider and scoietal implications of white washing her for the role, her look just seemed wrong and hence her character felt fake.

But I also felt there was no wit and very little wonder to the movie, which was always there when the FF comics were at their best...I just felt this franchise could be much, much better and was excited for the reboot until...