Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

On Thursday, I went to pick up my stuff for NCBD, and the clerks and manager (all guys whose tastes I generally find to be sound) were loudly complaining about how this movie is a gigantic turd. They usually keep talk of a new movie down to a minimum, but as soon as I walked in, daaaaaaamn... the hate was flowing, to say the least. And now, after reading this article, I read CBR's review... and the same complaints are there. Honestly, I'd go watch this movie if it was an enjoyable kind of bad, but it seems to just be the incredibly boring kind of bad. I'd rather watch a train wreck than a train failing to leave the station. I'll watch it on Netflix or something one day when I want a nap.

Hopefully this means Fox can trade the FF for X-Men TV rights, because there is no way to salvage this. At least the first two films were something you could take your kids to. IF Marvel do get the film rights back, I'm guessing that they'd have to introduce the characters in a supporting role or something, maybe in an Illuminati film or something, because I think the idea of a Fantastic Four focused film is too tainted right now.

And hopefully they really don't stick the FF in the X-films, because that'd be a horrible idea.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Olslick View Post
    No. Just no. As a "nerd" I don't want to take the credit for this. The implication there would amount to the "nerd" community being okay with such hot garbage as Iron Man 2 and 3, ASM 2, Wolverine Origins and Thor: the Dark World. As an actual fan of comic books and movies, or "nerd", most of what's been done movie wise has been crap. This is just one of the very few instances where the box office returns match just how awful the movie actually is.
    Iron man 2,3 and Thor the Dark World got good reviews and good audience approvals.

That's why they were hits. It's that simple. Maybe some folks on the internet don't like them but majority of the general audiences and critics did.

Wolverine Origins on the other hand didn't get good reviews but still made money. ASM didn't get good reviews and disappointed.

The through line here is: make a movie that audiences and critics like and they are generally successful (with the exception of Wolverine Origins). Make a movie that everyone hates and see it fall apart.

Just looking at the picture of the team at the top of this article, there's no wonder this is doing so bad.
    They look absolutely nothing like their comic counterparts (except for Thing), with their suits not even having the "4"
    symbol on it, on top of the suits being grayish blue (almost black). If I had not known better, I would have sworn this was a DC movie
    since they are apparently somewhat embarrassed of the superhero look in movies and try to darken them (no vibrant colors,etc...)
    Like others have said, the only hope for this franchise now is for Disney to get the rights and finally make a real 4 movie...

No. Just no. As a "nerd" I don't want to take the credit for this. The implication there would amount to the "nerd" community being okay with such hot garbage as Iron Man 2 and 3, ASM 2, Wolverine Origins and Thor: the Dark World. As an actual fan of comic books and movies, or "nerd", most of what's been done movie wise has been crap. This is just one of the very few instances where the box office returns match just how awful the movie actually is.
    I agree with you on Iron Man 3 and Origins, but I thought the other movies were pretty good. I'm actually saddened that Andrew Garfield is no longer Spiderman--to me he looks so much more like Peter from the comics than Tobey or this new guy looks. I think they should have kept him and made him the one to meet the Avengers (at least we got a true Spiderman suit in that movie too)--The new suit looks like an abomination from the teaser pics I've seen...

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    So did Stan Lee reprise his role as Willie Lumpkin in this?

Now, that could have saved the movie.
    Nope. I believe this is the first Marvel property made into a proper movie without a Stan Lee cameo. That's probably a part of the reason the movie sucks - no respect for the source material.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Nope. I believe this is the first Marvel property made into a proper movie without a Stan Lee cameo.
    Untrue. He didn't appear in any of the Blade or Punisher movies or Elektra.
    Last edited by kalorama; 08-08-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

And he wasn't in The Wolverine or DOFP either. Actually I'm trying to recall if Lee's been in any X-Men film post Last Stand.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Nope. I believe this is the first Marvel property made into a proper movie without a Stan Lee cameo. That's probably a part of the reason the movie sucks - no respect for the source material.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Untrue. He didn't appear in any of the Blade or Punisher movies or Elektra.
    Or X2, or First Class or these others
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls053928812/

Mighty Member

It is down to 28% of the audience liking it on RT:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

Ouch.

What's gonna suck is general moviegoers that see Marvel's name attached to this are going to think it's one of theirs and assume the MCU is on its way down.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    What's gonna suck is general moviegoers that see Marvel's name attached to this are going to think it's one of theirs and assume the MCU is on its way down.
    I'm actually surprise but the GA is a lot more knowledgeable, I say maybe 10% can't tell the difference between MCU and just having the Marvel Brand

Incredible Member

Um... The above movies were hits, because enough "nerds" wanted to see the above films and the characters were at least recognizable to them. Bad comic book movies can succeed if they give fans elements that are still familiar. Aside from title and power set, Fant4stic didn't deliver on that score.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Or X2, or First Class or these others
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls053928812/
    Brian B's specific use of the word "properties" suggested he wasn't talking about individual films so much as film franchises. And while Lee hasn't appeared in every X-film, he has appeared in multiple films in the franchise.

Of course, by that same interpretation, his claim that "this is the first Marvel property made into a proper movie without a Stan Lee cameo" is wrong without regard to any of the other non-FF properties simply because Stan Lee has, in fact, appeared in other FF films.
    Last edited by kalorama; 08-08-2015 at 09:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The majority of the general audience doesn't care about any of that. The only thing they care about is whether they movie they just paid to see is worth the time and money they paid for it. Their opinions of the FF will have no bearing on any non-FF movie. That's fandom-think.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Brian B's specific use of the word "properties" suggested he wasn't talking about individual films so much as film franchises. And while Lee hasn't appeared in every X-film, he has appeared in multiple films in the franchise.

Of course, by that same interpretation, his claim that "this is the first Marvel property made into a proper movie without a Stan Lee cameo" is wrong without regard to any of the other non-FF properties simply because Stan Lee has, in fact, appeared in other FF films.
    No, no, I was just wrong. I was thinking he was in most every Marvel-property movie, forgot Wolverine, X-Men DOFP, Elektra and I really forgot about Blade.