Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I like the designs!

Ultimate Member

So where are the usual suspects who will scream Batman is Bruce Wayne like they did with Jace? Unlike all the others.

Or hopefully folks have matured to understand other versions of Batman don't hurt Bruce Wayne anymore than 5000 Spider folks hurt Peter Parker.

Extraordinary Member

That last animated Batman film made no noise
    No online chatter.

I don’t think we will get as many films when the gunnverse starts but they need to tell stories that really explore the other character of the batfamily

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    That last animated Batman film made no noise
    No online chatter.

I don’t think we will get as many films when the gunnverse starts but they need to tell stories that really explore the other character of the batfamily
    I still haven't watched it, but the Doom that Came to Gotham looked cool.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

No Aztek from Justice League?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So where are the usual suspects who will scream Batman is Bruce Wayne like they did with Jace? Unlike all the others.

Or hopefully folks have matured to understand other versions of Batman don't hurt Bruce Wayne anymore than 5000 Spider folks hurt Peter Parker.
    I think people understand how Elseworld stories work.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

What are you talking about? You are aware there were more complaints over Dickbats than JaceBats right? As a longtime reader I'd expect you to know this. The archives from comic forums from the time [like comicbloc] are still available should you need a reminder.

Not to mention that this is an elseworld so the situation isn't like Jace or Dick.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 06-05-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Looks dope. DC always delivers on when it comes to animation. Wonder why Marvel doesn't get in on the game. DC has their formula so set to a point where the DTV movies are now guaranteed profit generators [poor animators]

I just wish there were more options. There's indie and Marvel comics I'd like to see in animation.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Looks dope. DC always delivers on when it comes to animation.
    Not always. Justice League: War, Son of Batman, Injustice, and The Killing Joke* are usually agreed by most to have been pretty bad. And I know everyone else in this Bizarro-verse loves it, but I will die on the hell the The Long Halloween was the shittiest "adaptation" of a comic story I've ever seen in my life. So DC doesn't always deliver - they just have a better track record than average.

Still though, I feel good about this elseworlds. Although I can't tell if the conquistador is their take on Two Face or Deathstroke.

*On the Killing Joke, outside clearly inferior animation compared to other films in DC's line and shockingly poor performances from the actors who were the voice of these characters for a generation, it's really just the made up Babs story that puts it on most people's worst of list.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not always. Justice League: War, Son of Batman, Injustice, and The Killing Joke* are usually agreed by most to have been pretty bad. And I know everyone else in this Bizarro-verse loves it, but I will die on the hell the The Long Halloween was the shittiest "adaptation" of a comic story I've ever seen in my life. So DC doesn't always deliver - they just have a better track record than average.

Still though, I feel good about this elseworlds. Although I can't tell if the conquistador is their take on Two Face or Deathstroke.

*On the Killing Joke, outside clearly inferior animation compared to other films in DC's line and shockingly poor performances from the actors who were the voice of these characters for a generation, it's really just the made up Babs story that puts it on most people's worst of list.
    The Killing Joke [which is one of the lower ranked and less profitable DC animated movies to date] cost 3.5 million to make.
    Made 12.3 million in it's limited release and 8.6 million in bluray sales in the US. A total of 20.9 million as of 2018.

That's still a nice payday for DC. I don't know how big the market for these things are but it seems to me that enough people paid for it. Maybe they watched it and didn't like it. I don't know.

I know a lot of fans of the source comic hated it but again I don't know how big that market is.

The folly is in judging these adaptations by what comic readers who are familiar with the source material think when these movies are churned out with the general public in mind.

The Killing Joke is at the bottom of DC animated movies imo. The only one I didn't enjoy. Even though I had issues with The Long Halloween and Hush I still enjoyed them for the most part.

No wait I figured it out, definitely Two Face, he's got both his eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    The Killing Joke [which is one of the lower ranked and less profitable DC animated movies to date] cost 3.5 million to make.
    Made 12.3 million in it's limited release and 8.6 million in bluray sales in the US. A total of 20.9 million as of 2018.

That's still a nice payday for DC. I don't know how big the market for these things are but it seems to me that enough people paid for it. Maybe they watched it and didn't like it. I don't know.

I know a lot of fans of the source comic hated it but again I don't know how big that market is.

The folly is in judging these adaptations by what comic readers who are familiar with the source material think when these movies are churned out with the general public in mind.

The Killing Joke is at the bottom of DC animated movies imo. The only one I didn't enjoy. Even though I had issues with The Long Halloween and Hush I still enjoyed them for the most part.
    I said they don't always deliver, not that they don't make profit. I think a lot of people bought Killing Joke because it's so famous a story, but as profitable as it was I think it's hard to argue it delivered. Many people didn't like the animation* because it honestly felt at times like only a step or two removed from choppy motion comics style, and how Conroy and Hamill surprisingly delivered a poor performance (maybe it was the voice director's fault? Who was the voice director?). And for me personally I had so many issues with The Long Halloween I just couldn't enjoy it. Felt like they butchered my favorite story because they felt like they had to cover this story by obligation but really didn't want to do it (and if this was something they did want to do, only makes it even worse).

But I doubt this is going to have any problems - animation is probably going to be amazing like 99% of what DC does, voice work will probably be serviceable, and because this is an entirely new story there's nothing they can really butcher like with an adaptation. Plus holy crap an Aztec Batman! That's just crazy! Like this is a really cool and unique idea for an elseworld. Love the designs for Batman and Two Face here (I don't like their take on the Joker, but to be fair I dislike most takes on the Joker design-wise for some reason, like many get the crazy look and big grin idea and run too far with it - mostly a more modern/recent trend I've noticed).

I wonder who else we might see, like maybe a caiman take on Killer Croc, or Poison Ivy would fit well in that environment.

*Animation is not the same as art style, like I hate the ultra bold lines super flat art style of the current shared universe DTVs, but the animation is still top notch. Always feel I have to mention this because people get it confused so often.

No wait I figured it out, definitely Two Face, he's got both his eyes.

I said they don't always deliver, not that they don't make profit. I think a lot of people bought Killing Joke because it's so famous a story, but as profitable as it was I think it's hard to argue it delivered. Many people didn't like the animation* because it honestly felt at times like only a step or two removed from choppy motion comics style, and how Conroy and Hamill surprisingly delivered a poor performance (maybe it was the voice director's fault? Who was the voice director?). And for me personally I had so many issues with The Long Halloween I just couldn't enjoy it. Felt like they butchered my favorite story because they felt like they had to cover this story by obligation but really didn't want to do it (and if this was something they did want to do, only makes it even worse).

But I doubt this is going to have any problems - animation is probably going to be amazing like 99% of what DC does, voice work will probably be serviceable, and because this is an entirely new story there's nothing they can really butcher like with an adaptation. Plus holy crap an Aztec Batman! That's just crazy! Like this is a really cool and unique idea for an elseworld. Love the designs for Batman and Two Face here (I don't like their take on the Joker, but to be fair I dislike most takes on the Joker design-wise for some reason, like many get the crazy look and big grin idea and run too far with it - mostly a more modern/recent trend I've noticed).

I wonder who else we might see, like maybe a caiman take on Killer Croc, or Poison Ivy would fit well in that environment.

*Animation is not the same as art style, like I hate the ultra bold lines super flat art style of the current shared universe DTVs, but the animation is still top notch. Always feel I have to mention this because people get it confused so often.

Well..... In 2016, Hamil [who had previously said after Arkham knight that he wouldn't voice the Joker again unless it was an adaptation of The Killing Joke due to the stress the role puts on his voice] admitted at a Star Wars Q&A,that while he wasn't disappointed with the final outcome of the movie he wasn't as satisfied as he originally hoped he would be.

He felt the comic would have worked better as an audiobook. He would have prefered it.

The Killing Joke was a short comic which might be why they felt they needed to tack something on make it movie length.

They showed the Aztec movie but other than a few photos of people people at the event nothing. So not surprised if it comes out this year

temp_Fyktq27WYAA26HY.jpg
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-16-2023 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    They showed the Aztec movie but other than a few photos of people people at the event nothing. So not surprised if it comes out this year

temp_Fyktq27WYAA26HY.jpg
    Hate to bump a thread with no new information to give, but when do you think we might get to hear/see more news on this?

Hate to bump a thread with no new information to give, but when do you think we might get to hear/see more news on this?
    Probably at a comic-con, I would think?