Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvie View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum I'm sorry if this has been posted /asked before, but I couldn't immediately find it.
    Is there some sort of timeline to be found of Batman?
    I'm currently watching Gotham and I was wondering if there's a certain comic, series, movie,... That follows from here on?

I've read lots of comics back in the day, but in no particular order, just by release order.
    Gotham as far as I know is its own continuity with differing origin, status and ages for the characters, like how for example Barbara Kean is never evil in the comic and Harvey Dent is the same age as Bruce. So I don't think there's a comic continuation.

As for timeline depend on continuity. There's the Post Crisis Era, the New 52 and Rebirth, the latter ones incorporate older continuities with some differences.

Obviously not Gotham, but I would say that the Earth One books take a similar approach in some ways.

BANNED

Hello all,

I was hoping someone knowledgeable could give me some direction. Are there any TPBs or collections that are from Batman 200-425? This is my favorite era in general (I think this considered Bronze Age) I was just hoping to scoop them up in those forms instead of the individual issues. I did some searching on the usual web sites, but am not finding much...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
    Hello all,

I was hoping someone knowledgeable could give me some direction. Are there any TPBs or collections that are from Batman 200-425? This is my favorite era in general (I think this considered Bronze Age) I was just hoping to scoop them up in those forms instead of the individual issues. I did some searching on the usual web sites, but am not finding much...
    Not all of them are collected. The popular ones are in the artist/writer collection or the popular villain's showcase books. Some of them overlap.

Batman #200, #210 is in Batman: Illustrated by Neal Adams Vol. 1
    Batman #217, #225 is in Batman: Illustrated by Neal Adams Vol. 2
    Batman #219 is in Batman by Neal Adams Book Two
    Batman #232, #234, #237, #243-245 and #251 are in Batman: Illustrated by Neal Adams Vol. 3

Batman #255, #307-310, #312-319, #321-324, #326-327 are in Tales of The Batman by Len Wein

Batman #292, #362 is in Batman: Arkham: Riddler
    Batman #295 #303 is in Legends of the Dark Knight: Michael Golden
    Batman #305-306 is in Tales of the Batman: Gerry Conway
    Batman #328 is in Tales of the Batman: Don Newton
    Batman #337-346, #348 is in Tales of the Batman: Gerry Conway Vol. 2
    Batman #340, 343-345 and 349-351 is in Tales of the Batman: Gene Colan Vol. 1

Batman #356 is in Batman Arkham: Hugo Strange
    Batman #358-359 is in Batman: Arkham: Killer Croc
    Batman #362 is in Batman: Arkham: Riddler
    Batman #369 is in Deadshot: Beginnings
    Batman #373 is in Tales of the Batman: Gene Colan Vol. 2
    Batman #374 is in Batman Arkham: Penguin
    Batman #375 is in Batman Arkham: Mister Freeze (also include #308)
    Batman #234, #346, #397-98, #410, #411 is in Batman: Arkham: Two-Face

No collection on the whole Nocturna saga

Batman #402-403, #408-416 is in Batman: Second Chances
    Batman #404-407 is in Batman Year One of course
    Batman #417-425 and #430-431 is in Batman: The Caped Crusader Vol. 1

Most of the single issues from that period are available on DC digital comic site readdc.com including which trade they are included. That's how I found it but not every trade include a list of issues they're collected. I usually double check by searching the trade on Amazon and DCcomics.com
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.

BANNED

^^ Thank you so much. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found out there based off your recommendations. Will definitely be picking up at least four or five of these. I wonder if in the future they will just collect entire runs omnibus-style.

Big Daredevil fan here.. have never really read DC but have always been a fan of Batman in all other media. Looking to finally plunge into the world of Gotham. I've ordered the Scott Snyder paperback collections from his run. My apologies if this has been asked before, but I feel like since the New 52 was a relaunch and the book was critically acclaimed, this was a great place to start. Do they collect everything from that run? Like Batman Eternal and any tie in issues from major events? Thanks in advance everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Big Daredevil fan here.. have never really read DC but have always been a fan of Batman in all other media. Looking to finally plunge into the world of Gotham. I've ordered the Scott Snyder paperback collections from his run. My apologies if this has been asked before, but I feel like since the New 52 was a relaunch and the book was critically acclaimed, this was a great place to start. Do they collect everything from that run? Like Batman Eternal and any tie in issues from major events? Thanks in advance everyone.
    Yes. Everything is collected.

Oh. A thing that happens in New 52 is some issues can be collected twice in different Trades, like how the Night of The Owls Trade that collects the tie-in issues from the Bat-family books also include some of the same issues of Batman from Batman Vol. 2 The City of Owls

I think in Batman only the tie-in Trades do this but make sure you read the list of issues in the Trade you pick.

Not the biggest Batman fan. But I wanted to ask if you guys/gals have any recommendations for any story arcs where all 4 Robins are included and have good moments with Bruce.
    Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Not the biggest Batman fan. But I wanted to ask if you guys/gals have any recommendations for any story arcs where all 4 Robins are included and have good moments with Bruce.
    Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The last scene of the last issue of Batman and Robin Eternal

That's the only thing that came to mind because they're usually either missing one member or not having fun.

No, wait.

Li'l Gotham #12 Father's Day

Non-canon but that's the only other one I remember

Banterman

New to the forum and new to DC. Spent most of my life collecting and reading Marvel and other publisher's comics. Finally got into DC.
    Started with, of course, Batman.

Can you guys say if this is a good start or not.
    Batman Year One.
    Batman The Man Who Laughs.
    Batman Long Halloween
    Batman Hush.
    Batman Year zero.
    Court of owls

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Banterman View Post
    New to the forum and new to DC. Spent most of my life collecting and reading Marvel and other publisher's comics. Finally got into DC.

Batman Year One.
    Batman Long Halloween
    Batman Hush.
    Batman Year zero.
    Court of owls
    A good start. Batman: Year One is a classic and The Long Halloween deals with a young starting out Batman. It's one of my favourites.

You need Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke.

Batman Year One.
    Batman Long Halloween
    Batman Hush.
    Batman Year zero.
    Court of owls
    In general yeah. Batman Hush kinda jumps a decade in continuity from the first three but it explains itself really well so you can jump in especially if you're already familiar with the Batman family from other media.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-03-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Batman Year One.
    Batman Long Halloween
    Batman Hush.
    Batman Year zero.
    Court of owls
    I'd say it's a good start. A note on Zero Year, I'd only bother with the first half/first trade, aka Secret City. The whole story arc/origin and the Red Hood stuff is honestly some of my favorite Batman stuff ever and deserves to be counted as a classic in my opinion - the second half with Riddler however, Dark City and Savage City, is so disappointing in comparison. So definitely get Zero Year - Secret City, but skip the rest.

The Long Halloween is another one of my favorites, and if you find yourself loving it its sequel Dark Victory is also really good.

Hey guys. Ancient poster back to life here. Nice to see this place again.

So i left comics right about the part where Morrison left Batman, Snyder took over, DC rebooted itself and Damian became batman's sidekick which didnt work for me. I also started work at a new place and my hours were craaaaaazy! So i am trying to get back on the saddle and heard that Tom King's run is very good. Anything else you want to suggest to me? Here are some likes and dislikes to help you out:

• Grant Morrison and his type of crazy style.
    • Damian Wayne, but mostly with Dick Grayson and Steph. I hated him with Bruce. I heard he had a team up with Superman's son. Was that any good?
    • Thomas Wayne Batman, who i heard is in King's run.

Dislikes:
    • Gail Simone. Nuff said.
    • I accept Snyder as a good writer but i feel that his writing is self important. He ties almost all his stories to important past stories to make them important. He almost had his owls kill the Waynes for example. He also goes overboard with the grimdark. Bruce keeps the bullets that killed his parents, the whole joker face off thing, etc. He's a good writer, but... eh... not for me.
    • Fanpleasing stories. Ex: Ras Al Ghul says to Tim Drake that he is the cleverest and bestest and prettiest and superest of them all. Then Bruce comes back from the dead and hugs him. And then he beats Darkseid with his eyes closed. That was just an example of a comic (excluding the darkseid part) that made me vomit in my mouth. I just like good stories. I recently watched the DKReturns animated movie (been a long time since i read the comic) and fell in love with Carrie Kelly. I didnt need someone to come praise her for me to like her, nor did they need to put down Dick Grayson or Damian to lift her up. So yeah, regardless of the character, even if it is a character i already like, i'd rather not be pandered to.
    • Typical boring stories that are just the villain of the week. Back in my day, people who didnt like Morrison found refuge in Detective Comics, writen by David Finch. Boring house style and boring stories that meant nothing.
    • Geoff Johns who admittedly said he doesnt get Batman or the New Gods writing them and screwing them up. The rest of his work is great though.

TL;DR:
    1. Tom King's run: Any good?
    2. Any other suggestions?
    3. Damian stories?
    4. Where's Dick and Tim nowadays? Is Dick Nightwing again?
    5. Where's Morrison nowadays?
    6. Heard something about Gordon being batman. Was that as stupid as it sounds?
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 11-03-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Hey guys. Ancient poster back to life here. Nice to see this place again.

So i left comics right about the part where Morrison left Batman, Snyder took over, DC rebooted itself and Damian became batman's sidekick which didnt work for me. I also started work at a new place and my hours were craaaaaazy! So i am trying to get back on the saddle and heard that Tom King's run is very good. Anything else you want to suggest to me? Here are some likes and dislikes to help you out:

- Grant Morrison and his type of crazy style.
    - Damian Wayne, but mostly with Dick Grayson and Steph. I hated him with Bruce. I heard he had a team up with Superman's son. Was that any good?
    - Thomas Wayne Batman, who i heard is in King's run.

Dislikes:
    - Gail Simone. Nuff said.
    - I accept Snyder as a good writer but i feel that his writing is self important. He ties almost all his stories to important past stories to make them important. He almost had his owls kill the Waynes for example. He also goes overboard with the grimdark. Bruce keeps the bullets that killed his parents, the whole joker face off thing, etc. He's a good writer, but... eh... not for me.
    - Fanpleasing stories. Ex: Ras Al Ghul says to Tim Drake that he is the cleverest and bestest and prettiest and superest of them all. Then Bruce comes back from the dead and hugs him. And then he beats Darkseid with his eyes closed. That was just an example of a comic (excluding the darkseid part) that made me vomit in my mouth. I just like good stories. I recently watched the DKReturns animated movie and fell in love with Carrie Kelly. I didnt need someone to come praise her for me to like her, nor did they need to put down Dick Grayson or Damian to lift her up. So yeah, regardless of the character, even if it is a character i already like, i'd rather not be pandered to.
    - Typical boring stories that are just the villain of the week. Back in my day, people who didnt like Morrison found refuge in Detective Comics, writen by David Finch. Boring house style and boring stories that meant nothing.

TL;DR:
    1. Tom King's run: Any good?
    2. Any other suggestions?
    3. Damian stories?
    4. Where's Dick and Tim nowadays? Is Dick Nightwing again?
    5. Where's Morrison nowadays?
    6. Heard something about Gordon being batman. Was that as stupid as it sounds?
    Gordon became Batman at the end of Snyder's run after Batman was presumed dead fighting The Joker. It was government-sponsored to keep Gotham secure after the loss of Batman. A sort of official police Batman, so he's more lawful than regular Batman. He works out, but he still needs a robot suit and various techs because physically he's still not that good. I haven't actually read it but I find the concept interesting.

Unfortunately... if I remember correctly just from the previews, it's still peppered with Snyder's habit of trying to make the thing bigger, more violent than before, villain-wise, and his appearance by other writers ranging from "okay" to "annoying" because those writers are mining for Gordon's clash with other DCU heroes and Bat-family. I remember his clash with Superman was depicted as "Lawful Stupid" instead of "Lawful Good".

Dick and Damian team up and face Dr. Hurt again in Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3 Nightwing Must Die, which, as you may guess, is a call back to Batman and Robin Vol. 3 Batman and Robin Must Die. That story continues to another team up in Dark Knights Metal The Resistance.

Aside from that he also cameo in Nightwing Rebirth #1 and has another team up with Nightwing in #42 and #43.
    Basically Damian has sporadic cameo throughout Nightwing but that's what I remember.

Super Sons are super adorable. That fun, snarky, funny dynamic Damian has with sunshine people like Dick and Steph, he also has with Jon Kent, but this time he's dealing with someone younger and less experienced, so he also has to learn to be a big brother.

Oh but Super Sons is canceled because Bendis has a different plan for Superman family.

Damian is 13 years old now and leading the Teen Titans. The first team was a movie synergy with DC animated universe where popular characters like Raven and Beast Boy are reintroduced as around Damian's age. In the comic version, they're still older, but they kinda just let Damian runs things like letting a little brother play leader, with Starfire interjecting occasionally as the actual supervisor.

The second team is Damian's actual team, which he formed because he's had enough with Batman's method... it's a whole other thing. The team is more rebellious, most are original characters that includes Lobo's daughter, and Damian goes through a darker path in fighting crime.

I heard people say that Thomas Wayne in King's run is different than Flashpoint, and I believe them because...

I personally think Tom King is a good writer for standalone stories, but he prioritizes his own message over character history. He will pick and choose what he likes, ignores the others, or straight up make up new lore just so it can fit the plot that he wants.

When he found a favorite, he will shill that character. There were signs of it when he wrote Dick Grayson, but at that time he has Tim Seeley to balance it. Since he's writing Batman solo, he has no filter when writing Catwoman and had to be reminded by Joelle Jones, Catwoman writer, that Selina isn't that powerful.

I guess Tom King would make a really good Elseworld writer. He loves doing character study and some of them are really good, but if you're the type who wants long-running consistency... boy... you're gonna get angry. Maybe. He's pretty divisive.

Tim is with Kon, Bart, and Cassie with Bendis' Young Justice, returning for the first time since New 52 started.

Before that, he was leading a team of Gotham vigilante with Batman and Batwoman, until his alternate self came and gave him the info that he lost history by the New 52 timeline change. This leads him to leave Gotham in a self-searching journey with Steph, and eventually reunite with the Young Justice crew.

Morrison is writing Hal Jordan

My suggestion would be DC and Looney Tunes crossover, DC and TMNT crossover, and the current DCeased, which is DC's version of Marvel Zombies. That should fit your crazy fun story taste.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-03-2019 at 02:17 PM.