Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Think we'll ever get a reprint for Shaman and Tales of the Demon?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Why is there no Denny O'Neil Omnibus?

Guys, where's a good place to start reading classic Batmand and Detective Comics? I've read some of the classics like Year One and Dark Knight Returns, plus some of the Loeb and Sale minis, but I wanted to start at a classic run and go until the 00s, which is when I started reading.
    I mostly prefer writing styles from the 80s onwards, but if there's something truly unmissable in the 70s, I'd be willing to give that a check.
    Also, are there any runs to avoid?

Az.

Hello chaps,

So I've never bought a comic book in my life ( the shame i know) and I'm currently thinking to start doing so..and the Batman universe is something I've sorta kept up with.

Recently played Batman: The Telltale Series, watching Gotham ( no spoilers please) and watched the animated movie Batman the killing joke. Loved every one of these, and reading the OP i'm not really sure where should i start reading.

I'm thinking of starting with Batman Vol.7: Endgame, but shouldn't i read the first 6 volumes going up to it? Seems like from the synopsis that i might be lost in the story? But it does seems like something i would enjoy, so thoughts?

Help a noob out?

Because this suggestion thread was made for newcomers inspired by BvS, the suggestions are a little outdated. Batman Vol.7 was recommended because it was the most recently collected Batman story and important to understand the status quo of the ongoing comics. A year has passed since then, and I personally think that Vol. 7 is now an unideal place to start. In the summer of 2016, DC Comics relaunched their line with new #1 issues. These issues are now being collected in trades. If your interest is to read the newest material, it may be better to start with the Batman: Rebirth Vol 1. However, the story of Rebirth is a continuation of the New 52 run. If you are worried about not understanding everything in the newest material, the best place to start is with the beginning of the New 52. This is a pretty large amount of comics (12 TPBs or ~$200) but you can buy and read them at any pace that you like. Personally, I believe that to get into Batman comics, you should start with the strong standalone stories that dominate "Best of Batman" lists like Hush, The Long Halloween, and Year One. These stories require pretty much no background knowledge to enjoy and will help further your understanding of the mythos, even if many of them are no longer happened in the current continuity.

TLDR: I got a bit distracted, but the main point is that there isn't too much reason to start on Vol. 7 anymore.

Start with the New 52 #1 if you want a fuller picture of the modern mythos, start with Rebirth #1 if you want to jump straight into the current stuff, or start with some classics if you aren't too bothered by continuity and just want to read some good Batman stories.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 06-02-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

The Dark Knight

I'm not a 100% caught up on the recent comics but I heard not too long ago something about Joker having some kind of supernatural origin? Anyone know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I'm not a 100% caught up on the recent comics but I heard not too long ago something about Joker having some kind of supernatural origin? Anyone know anything about this?
    It's in EndGame, good arc, I can spoil it for you if you want, but it's worth reading yourself.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    It's in EndGame, good arc, I can spoil it for you if you want, but it's worth reading yourself.
    I'll wait until I read it to pass judgement, but it seems like something that the fans wouldn't like. Is it like an ambiguous type of thing?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I'll wait until I read it to pass judgement, but it seems like something that the fans wouldn't like. Is it like an ambiguous type of thing?
    There are two ways to read Endgame: Either you believe what the Joker tells you or you believe his words are poison and he's just a madman messing with you. I liked that.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    There are two ways to read Endgame: Either you believe what the Joker tells you or you believe his words are poison and he's just a madman messing with you. I liked that.
    Sounds great to me! I always though Killing Joke was a story where you could have that Joker origin if you wanted it but I think there were times where they referenced it like it was officially canon. I guess it depends on the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Guys, where's a good place to start reading classic Batmand and Detective Comics? I've read some of the classics like Year One and Dark Knight Returns, plus some of the Loeb and Sale minis, but I wanted to start at a classic run and go until the 00s, which is when I started reading.
    I mostly prefer writing styles from the 80s onwards, but if there's something truly unmissable in the 70s, I'd be willing to give that a check.
    Also, are there any runs to avoid?
    There are nice thick volumes of Knightfall and No man's Land available

Those should keep you for a while. They have issues of Robin, Nigtwing, Catwoman, Azrael etc....

Random question. I've been going to the comic store buying up a lot of New 52 issues. I stopped reading after issues 10-15 somewhere in there. I lost my job, yada yada yada. Thankfully, I have the first 20 or so issues of the New 52 Batman comic and bought them when they came out because as back issues they all range from 10 to 20 dollars a peice. Why are they so expensive? Every other back issue I buy (New 52 series of Action, Superman, Detective, Green Lantern, Justice League bunch of other stuff) is 3.25 for a 2.99 book and 4.25 for a 3.99 book. Most times they are even cheaper than that. Like why is Batman #10 20.00? Is that the issue where Commissioner Gordon cures cancer or something?

All-New Member

Some buzz is starting to go around that, in Batman: White Knight, the Joker's identity is going to be confirmed. As far as the comic book universe goes, anyway.

I'm now wondering: Didn't the Rebirth event strongly suggest there are three Jokers? (Did I miss something back then, or has that changed since?)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNails View Post
    Some buzz is starting to go around that, in Batman: White Knight, the Joker's identity is going to be confirmed. As far as the comic book universe goes, anyway.

I'm now wondering: Didn't the Rebirth event strongly suggest there are three Jokers? (Did I miss something back then, or has that changed since?)
    In Justice League during Darkseid War, Batman sits in the mobius chair. When he asks it what Joker's real name is it says "There are three." Three names or three people? I'm not sure.