All-New Member

Default New to DC, new 52 Batman and Robin questions

Hi there, as the title states I am very recently getting into DC comics. I grew up on Animated Batman, blah blah my origin story blah blah. Well I've always been slightly partial to Robin over Batman (flame on?), but with the introduction of Damian you can subtract the word slightly. I love this character, i've watched the Son of Batman animated movie atleast 3 times haha, and the Batman Vs Robin movie a couple times. However, when it comes to the Comic continuation, I am pretty damn confused.

I've scoured google, and the corresponding threads on these forums for a definitive read order, but i'm still not sure what all I'll want to purchase. Potential spoilers below.

1. I'd prefer to stick with new 52, as I have a solid grasp on back story I believe. (Eventually I will go back and read Morrisons run, but that's 8 years of comics. I'll most certainly read his Batman and Robin featuring Dick as the Bat)

2. I've already procured volumes 1-6 of Batman and robin, however after I finished Volume 3. (death of the family), and started volume 4, I was extremely disappointed with the plot hole. Damian was already dead. I've assessed that this event happens within the new 52 series of Batman Incorporated, which is where my grasp on the reading order falls off a cliff. Should the entire Batman Incorporated series be read inbetween volumes 3 and 4 of Batman and Robin, or should I split it up?

3. I already subscribed to Damians stand alone series, Robin: Son of Batman, however that was a few weeks ago and I have not yet recieved an issue. I would like to get caught up completely to where he is prior to this series, will volumes 1-7 (7 is available on Amazon on my birthday /whistle) and batman Incorporated do this for me?

4. As a long time Robin fan, I am personally excited to have learned that somehow Tim Drake will be (going into the future?) to pick up the Batman Beyond mantle. Where do these Events start, and what would be required reading for me if I want to pick up said Batman Beyond title when collections are eventually released?

I am sorry if this post jumps all over, and I very much appreciate your time reading and answering.

2. Batman Incorprated #8 is when that event happens. But there's so much that leads into it. Morrison's entire Batman run is heavy on continuity. You're better off reading Batman Inc as part of the Morrison run.

3. Kind of. Robin: Son of Batman starts off with a new status quo, and there are a number of changes that aren't explained yet. The remainder of Tomasi's run won't really lead up to that.

4. Batman Beyond is a spinoff from The New 52: Futures End weekly. It's hard to really recommend it, since it's a very lengthy series that goes all over the place. If you want to read Batman Beyond, then just go ahead and read it. The pertinent events from Futures End get recapped in every issue anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkedflint View Post
    . . . I've already procured volumes 1-6 of Batman and robin, however after I finished Volume 3. (death of the family), and started volume 4, I was extremely disappointed with the plot hole. Damian was already dead. I've assessed that this event happens within the new 52 series of Batman Incorporated, which is where my grasp on the reading order falls off a cliff. Should the entire Batman Incorporated series be read inbetween volumes 3 and 4 of Batman and Robin, or should I split it up?
    To me, it really doesn't matter. Since his death happened outside of B&R, all you really need to realize is that he's gone. Morrison is pretty much a writer who doesn't always worry about "playing nicely" with other ongoing books.

If / when you do get around to reading Batman Incorporated, that is a book you should read the pre-New 52 material first, since parts of it will still apply to what happens in the New 52 volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkedflint View Post
    3. I already subscribed to Damians stand alone series, Robin: Son of Batman, however that was a few weeks ago and I have not yet recieved an issue. I would like to get caught up completely to where he is prior to this series, will volumes 1-7 (7 is available on Amazon on my birthday /whistle) and batman Incorporated do this for me?
    Robin: Son of Batman just began with issue #1 in June.

There was the mini-series Damian: Son of Batman which came out in 2013-2014, but somebody else would have to address how important to overall continuity that was.

Damian Son of Batman is best left forgotten

1. Start the Morrison run sooner than later, it is *the* defining Damian story, it revolves around him and is essentially all one big Damian Wayne character arc. Should also 100% start at the beginning in Batman & Son: New Edition, the real backstory is far better and quite different to the cartoon (plus features Tim Drake quite heavily in early parts). Also forget any distinctions between old and New 52, which is out the window now anyway - the DCU is all one evolving storytelling history.

2. As others mentioned, really not a good idea to start Batman Incorporated without the parts that come before it (i.e Morrison run). The death happens in Vol.2 #8 if you want to get across the very minimum, but do prepare to be confused

3. Robin:Son of Batman #1 is excellent, part of the reason being it recaps literally everything you need to know from B&R. Don't worry about finishing B&R.

4. Tim Drake as Batman Beyond is a very recent development, it's also the first time the Beyond concept has been incorporated into mainline DC universe rather than being it's own separate thing. You'll be fine with the Vol.1 trade in March

Many other suggestions here Batman FAQ for New Readers.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Damian Son of Batman is best left forgotten
    100%. Avoid this book like the plague.

All-New Member

Wow thank you guys <3