Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Hey everyone, which of these WW books are good?

Hey everyone, which of these WW books are good? I'm looking at buying these but want to make sure these are good or not:

WW: Warkiller

WW: Contagion

WW: Rise of the Olympian

WW: Ends of the Earth

WW: The Circle

WW: The Challenge of Artemis

WW: The Contest

WW: Who is WW?

Rucka's WW run

JMS' WW run
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

The Contest and The Challenge of Artemis are probably very good for males readers of a female lead comic book. JMS's and Rucka's run showcases Wonder Woman's Lex Luthor and Joker, Dr. Psycho. The first parts of Ends of the Earth are very good.

Fantastic Member

Rucka's WW run

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Who Is Wonder Woman is one of my favorite WW stories. The Circle is pretty good too.

JMS' run is pretty blah.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

WW: Warkiller

WW: Contagion

WW: Rise of the Olympian

WW: Ends of the Earth

The Circle is the most acclaimed of those books by Gail Simone, but her run itself was pretty lackluster.

It's been a long time since I've read it, but if you can get through that art then by all means go for it.

WW: Who is WW?
    It's okay. Not great, or even good, but okay. It's nice seeing all the revamped villains appear in it, but they get chumped pretty easily and most are never seen again. Circe's pretty good in it, from what I remember, and I love her design.

Rucka's WW run
    My personal favorite run of WW. I highly recommend this one, though you should definitely start with The Hiketeia (which may be out of print sadly).

JMS' WW run
    Avoid like the plague. JMS wasn't even happy with his own run so he ditched the book 3 issues in and left it up to Phil Hester (who would've been a great pick for having his own run if they gave him the chance) to finish his story.

I also highly recommend the George Perez Omnibus that's coming out later this month. Perez's Wonder Woman reads like a modern epic poem, it's great.

BANNED

Well, that kinda depends on your personal preferences. But the highest rated of the listed ones are the Rucka run and the Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Avoid like the plague. JMS wasn't even happy with his own run so he ditched the book 3 issues in and left it up to Phil Hester (who would've been a great pick for having his own run if they gave him the chance) to finish his story.
    To be fair, he was told that the moment he was finished it would be wiped out of continuity, which I imagine is pretty insulting to a comicbook writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

It's been a long time since I've read it, but if you can get through that art then by all means go for it.
    Of course he can get through the art, as the art is the best in that run; you simply have a different taste in art (e.g. I'd be more inclined to say, if you can get through the bland art in Azz's run or most Wonder Woman runs); the rival Wonder Woman artist for me would be Terry Dodson.

Astonishing Member

For my money and enjoyment:

Rucka's WW is #1. It reads best as a whole, but if you want to cherry pick the best: The Hiketeia (a stand-alone ogn with gorgeous art), Eyes of the Gorgon, and Land of the Dead.

I enjoyed Simone's run. As others have said, The Circle is the best part, and it's the first so you can see if you like it. Not as great after that, but still enjoyable, imo.

I agree with Nyssane that the Perez run is well worth checking out. It may feel a little dated in style, but you also get more story packed in than we do with most modern comics.

In addition, I really enjoy JLA: A League of One (if you can find it).

Hope that helps some. Happy reading.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well, that kinda depends on your personal preferences. But the highest rated of the listed ones are the Rucka run and the Circle.

To be fair, he was told that the moment he was finished it would be wiped out of continuity, which I imagine is pretty insulting to a comicbook writer.

That is fair but with how drastic his changes were to Diana and her world, did he really think they would stick even if Flashpoint and the New 52 didn't happen? I hope he's smarter than that.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The Circle is decent.

Not amazing or anything, but decent.

I felt like Simone wrote that story half-asleep, it could have been way better than it is.