Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a tough question to answer. As much as I love X-men 92, I'm not sure it can thrive long-term with the other X-books. We've seen X-men comics that have been strong at first, but eventually fade. X-men First Class is the last book that did that. But eventually, people just weren't as passionate about it. I think for X-men 92 to succeed, it needs to have a larger vision. It can't just continue to tell the same stories from the TV show.

For me, that means doing things like expanding the cast and establishing new threats that take large arcs to resolve. It's not enough to just continue this series for the sake of sales. Someone has to have a much larger vision. Maybe that vision includes Wolverine meeting up with X-23 and adopting her. Maybe it involves Rogue and Gambit trying to get married, but getting side-tracked along the way. Maybe it involves a new threat like Bastion, John Sublime, Weapon Plus entering the picture. Maybe even Abigail Brand from SWORD can become part of the conflict. The important thing is for X-men 92 to establish a world where there's a certain kind of conflict the X-men need to confront and its a conflict that can't be found in the other X-books.

And if Marvel is going to do something like this, the timing couldn't be better. There's no more alternative to the 616 X-men anymore. After Secret Wars, Ultimate X-men (which hasn't been much of an alternative in over 6 years, mind you) will be gone. So if someone doesn't like the course of X-men in 616, what are they going to do? Marvel wants to keep its customers, doesn't it? X-men 92 could be a way for them to do just that. Take an era of X-men that many remember fondly and isn't quite as bogged down in continuity gaffes like 616. Turn that era into a foundation for a new world where the X-men can function on their own accord without stepping on the toes of the Avengers, Inhumans, etc. I think it could work and if it's successful, it can be expanded. Why not have an X-men 92 alongside an X-Force 92?

It's still not clear whether X-men 92 will have the clout to warrant a new series after Secret Wars. Due to the movie rights, I really doubt Marvel would consider it. And if they did, I doubt they would put their best talent on it like they do with Uncanny and Extraordinary. So it's hard to say what will come of this. But if an idiot like me can create a crappy fanfiction series like X-men Supreme and keep it going for over 5 years and 125 chapters, then I have to believe Marvel has what it takes to make X-men 92 a viable series.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I'd like the team's composition to survive... not the interpretation of it. Cant stand the exaggerated character models, slap stick humor (we had this with Amazing X-Men recently, no one seemed to care much about it) or condescending writing. If it was taken seriously and not constantly taking jabs at itself, perhaps. Not to mention to twilight zone style of the universe with Barons and nonsensical civil wars for control of a area of battleworld. Also... those numbers will drop like a rock after the first issue guaranteed. I promise you, 75% of those sales came because it had a big #1 on it (compulsive collecting at work). I'm sure a large chunk of people who DLed it still bought the hard copy. Not because there are so many people in love with the book. After issue #3, most of us here stopped DLing it, and we're the "hardcore" readership.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 08-09-2015 at 07:12 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

I'm glad to hear that this series is doing so well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    I absolutely believe it could survive and I think it would be rather easy to launch it into its own separate universe away from the rest of the Marvel books. I wouldn't mind if there was some minor tweaking done to the book after SECRET WARS ends and it was relaunched as a slightly more serious book, but I truly believe Marvel would be foolish to turn away all of us who know that Marvel will never be able to top the 90s team. It was a winning formula for many reasons. It would not harm Marvel in the least to offer one book to us, while still moving ahead with ANADM for all those who have forgotten what the X-Men used to (and still should) be. I, myself am certain that the pure magic and appeal of the early 90s X-Men can never be topped by a different version of the X-Men and so they are all I am willing to pay for. I got by for the last 15 years under the belief that the X-Men were dead and buried and so if Marvel wishes to keep the real X-Men dead after SW, then I will once again have to accept the X-Men's tragic demise and forget about Marvel's self-destructive publishing department. I simply have zero interest in any other inferior version of the X-Men Marvel may believe that they can conjure up. I sure as all Hell do not want the unheroic, unspectacular crap they have excused as being the "X-Men" over the last decade. Marvel Entertainment may very well get sick of hearing from me but I have been fighting for this team's return for many years now and so I am not going to stop fighting for the 90s X-Men now when we are so close.
    I'm with you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I don't think that is an issue. Marvel Comics get full profit from any comic series they produce, it has nothing to do with movies.

This Embargo/CompleX conspiracy theory thing is tiring.
    Not theory. Well documented FACT. Liefeld warned us about it in 2011 and was ignored. It's all happened pretty much as he predicted.

BANNED

From the mouth of babes.

Hopefully yes, but we'll see

What I would love is something along the lines of "X-Men Forever"'s first 5 issues. The artwork was great by Grummett and the writing seemed more serious which I liked but don't destroy the legacy of the X-Men via absurd, uncharacteristic twists and don't make the X-Men so incompetent and doomed. And, for the love of God, do NOT change them out of their 90s uniforms!

MarvelMaster616 pretty much said it best. But I know this version of X-Men has a massive wealth of still untold story potential. Most of the SECRET WARS titles are based around a singular storyline but even the title "X-Men '92" can cover an entire era. A whole world that can totally be separate from the 616 X-Men and can easily be explored for many years to come, as long as the writers and artists are up to the challenge.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Spectacular Member

I don't want this X-Men 92 series to continue, I want the concept to continue. That being the characters in their iconic costumes and iconic team rosters.

And it doesn't have to be the exact costumes but a variation of them. Take the Deadpool movie costume for example or the recent Asmus Gambit costume. Slight variations of the original costumes. Then place these characters in the current ANAD timeline and rebuild the X-Men again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I don't want this X-Men 92 series to continue, I want the concept to continue. That being the characters in their iconic costumes and iconic team rosters.

And it doesn't have to be the exact costumes but a variation of them. Take the Deadpool movie costume for example or the recent Asmus Gambit costume. Slight variations of the original costumes. Then place these characters in the current ANAD timeline and rebuild the X-Men again.
    Oh, well the way the thread topic was worded, it made it sound like you wanted this specific comic to continue. But yea, as long as we got another, maybe more serious 90s themed X-book in place of "X-Men '92", that is the only way I could be willing to sacrifice this book.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    Not theory. Well documented FACT. Liefeld warned us about it in 2011 and was ignored. It's all happened pretty much as he predicted.
    People that deny the Complex remind me of creationists.

Theoretically, yes. I'd say Marvel has incentive and certainly the capacity to continue it past the end of this mini-series.

I guess it all depends on Marvel's vision for the X-line after the relaunch, really.

Perhaps the most likely avenue for it to continue, is the same as the one where it started: as a digital exclusive. DC has certainly done decently well with their own digitally exclusive, out of continuity titles (Adventures of Superman, Injustice, Batman '66), so Marvel might be interested in cashing in on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    People that deny the Complex remind me of creationists.
    That's funny... people that preach the Complex reminds ME of creationists. That's a fairly humorous coincidence, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Theoretically, yes. I'd say Marvel has incentive and certainly the capacity to continue it past the end of this mini-series.

I guess it all depends on Marvel's vision for the X-line after the relaunch, really.

Perhaps the most likely avenue for it to continue, is the same as the one where it started: as a digital exclusive. DC has certainly done decently well with their own digitally exclusive, out of continuity titles (Adventures of Superman, Injustice, Batman '66), so Marvel might be interested in cashing in on that.
    I would be pretty disappointed if they made it a "digital-exclusive". I already hate the whole "digital-first" scheme because Marvel are purposefully punishing the old time physical print fans (who made their company possible in the first place) who do not wish to feed the digital monster by making us always be two or even three chapters behind the digital customers. If the book relaunches, I feel the digital customers should only get two chapters a month. They should get one chapter in the middle of the month and then a second chapter on the same day that we get both of those chapters available in the print issue at the end of the month. That would be the only way to be fair.
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 08-09-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    That's funny... people that preach the Complex reminds ME of creationists. That's a fairly humorous coincidence, isn't it?
    The evidence that Marvel has sidelined and minimized the X-universe is well documented at this point.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    The evidence that Marvel has sidelined and minimized the X-universe is well documented at this point.
    Yep, meanwhile the evidence that Marvel DIDN'T do this is...the word of a few Marvel executives. Just like with creationism is the word of a few preachers.