Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think they're pretty good as well, although some of the books from the Dark Horse line still hold up.

What's interesting is that a lot of the Dark Horse stuff were basically spin offs, and didn't really focus on any major events with the 'core' group of characters, with some exceptions, such as the early "Dark Empire". Leaving the Bantam and later Del Rey novels to work with Luke and co (Although Dark Horse did cover some stuff such as Luke and Mara's wedding). A lot of the better ongoings and miniseries dealt with all new characters (Quinlan Vos, Kir Kanos, Zayne Carrick, A shared Hett) or side characters (Wedge, Boba Fett, other Jedis on the council apart from Mace Windu and Yoda etc).

I think Marvel's original run had some good stuff too, especially the later David Micheline stuff IMO. Goodwin did some decent issues too, but I think he was kind of hurt a bit by Lucasfilm's constraints on the use of the Empire/Vader (Something that wasn't a problem in his pretty good Newspaper comic run), and I don't think Carmine's art quite suited the material as well as that of later artists.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think they're pretty good as well, although some of the books from the Dark Horse line still hold up.

What's interesting is that a lot of the Dark Horse stuff were basically spin offs, and didn't really focus on any major events with the 'core' group of characters, with some exceptions, such as the early "Dark Empire". Leaving the Bantam and later Del Rey novels to work with Luke and co (Although Dark Horse did cover some stuff such as Luke and Mara's wedding). A lot of the better ongoings and miniseries dealt with all new characters (Quinlan Vos, Kir Kanos, Zayne Carrick, A shared Hett) or side characters (Wedge, Boba Fett, other Jedis on the council apart from Mace Windu and Yoda etc).

I think Marvel's original run had some good stuff too, especially the later David Micheline stuff IMO. Goodwin did some decent issues too, but I think he was kind of hurt a bit by Lucasfilm's constraints on the use of the Empire/Vader (Something that wasn't a problem in his pretty good Newspaper comic run), and I don't think Carmine's art quite suited the material as well as that of later artists.
    I loved most of the Micheline run and think it still holds up today pretty well. That Shira Brie storyline was great. I actually really liked a lot of Goodwins run because he was forced to use different threats than Vader. The way he built up the House of Tagge was very cool. I will agree that I was not really a fan of Infantino on art, but I really have never been a big fan of his work on anything.

I've been enjoying Darth Vader and loved Princess Leia! The regular Star Wars series is fine.

I'll wait to buy Shattered Empire until AFTER I see Episode VII. I'm not sure how much Shattered Empire will spoil, but I'd prefer not to be spoiled at all. Better to read the prelude afterwards for some background.

Though I recall that the Prelude to Star Trek Into Darkness was not the least bit spoilery. It was its own story, that happened to feature the acquisition of the little gunrunner ship and ended with them en route to Nibiru (planet from the film's opening).

It's funny DH had Star Wars focus on the immediate aftermath of the first Death Star right before they lost their rights and then Marvel's first SW book covers the same period. I would rather have a book covering the in between of ESB and Jedi if we must focus on the OT than keep getting books covering the same period

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    It's funny DH had Star Wars focus on the immediate aftermath of the first Death Star right before they lost their rights and then Marvel's first SW book covers the same period. I would rather have a book covering the in between of ESB and Jedi if we must focus on the OT than keep getting books covering the same period
    They had one. It was called Shadows of the Empire and covered all the stuff between V and VI, including how Boba got from Bespin to Tatooine, how Leia got the Boussh armor, how Luke built his new saber, etc. Really, you could watch ESB, read SOTE, and then watch ROTJ, and have a complete narrative.

It's weird what was caught up in the wholesale deletion of the EU. SOTE was a Lucas "event" that came out only a few years before Episode I and was supposed to be "everything but the film." So SOTE had a novelization, comic adaption, soundtrack, and toys--just no movie. I guess Disney demanded a clean break, but SOTE was so heavily-Lucas sanctioned that I'm surprised they didn't keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    I've been enjoying Darth Vader and loved Princess Leia! The regular Star Wars series is fine.

I'll wait to buy Shattered Empire until AFTER I see Episode VII. I'm not sure how much Shattered Empire will spoil, but I'd prefer not to be spoiled at all. Better to read the prelude afterwards for some background.

Though I recall that the Prelude to Star Trek Into Darkness was not the least bit spoilery. It was its own story, that happened to feature the acquisition of the little gunrunner ship and ended with them en route to Nibiru (planet from the film's opening).
    That's a good point, I didn't think of it that way. I hope it's mostly world-building. That is, detailing things that have happened over the twenty or so years between the two films. Although by the time the series is finished, the movie will already be out, right?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

I wonder how the comics line (which has been just amazing, IMO) will change after Episode VII.
    Anything been shared yet?

Spideyparker75

Nothing yet that I can see but Id imagine it might be a bit spoilerish to do so at this stage.

Even though I love Spiderman and Secret Wars I think Star Wars has been an incredible run so far. Due to finnaces I can only get SW and DV but Ive signed on for Shattered Empire. Im loving these stories. Absolutely incredible imo.

Havent read a poor issue in either run yet.

Pretty excited to see how the SW universe changes after the movie. Who'll be the breakout characters? What big surprises are coming?

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Pretty excited to see how the SW universe changes after the movie. Who'll be the breakout characters? What big surprises are coming?
    There are definitely some exciting times ahead post TFA but things are exciting now.

Marvel really are nailing the SW universe.

I wonder if they'll have a comic set in the era TFA is. I don't think they will, as it might 'interfere' with the movies or be hindered by production and directorial restrictions. But one can hope...
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    I wonder if they'll have a comic set in the era TFA is. I don't think they will, as it might 'interfere' with the movies or be hindered by production and directorial restrictions. But one can hope...
    We will probably only get comics set before, during and shortly after until Episode 8 comes out and we get to advance the plot some more.

Yeah, I figure as much. I think the closest we'll get are one-shot tie ins that detail character histories. Kind of like how DC are doing the Mad Max comics at the moment.
    My fan fiction:

Spideyparker75

There is a huge amount of time between 6 and 7 so they could go for a few years writing stuff especially after 7 comes out.

I think that would be the era I'm most interested in. And because it would be the one most ripe for storytelling. Introducing all-new characters or even legacy characters. Exploring the ramifications of the Jedi and new Empire. But again, I wonder how much 'control' the producers and directors will have over that time period. It may be restrictive.
    My fan fiction: