Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel's Star Wars comics

I have not read any of the books yet.
    I just buy a copy of each when it comes out.
    I glance over each book and read a page or two and like what I see very much.
    I just keep piling them up hoping to one week end read a couple trades worth of books.
    Plan on picking up Lando this week.
    And adding it to my will read pile................
    I think Marvel has another on going Star Wars books coming out very soon (which I will buy).

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I've been buying Star Wars, Darth Vader, and own all five issues of Princess Leia, but I've only been following Darth Vader. It's one of my favorite ongoing comics currently. Seeing Darth Vader as a protagonist and having his own supporting cast of original characters is probably the best thing to happen after Marvel acquired Star Wars for comics.

I just wonder how long Darth Vader and his relationship with his new supporting cast will go on for, since Vader himself doesn't live very long within the time frame of the original film trilogy.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

May as well use this thread for discussion, right?

Anyone else read Lando #1? Thought it was hilarious! Soule captured Lando's voice perfectly, while the 'heist' aspect was done very well. The cliffhanger was strong and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. Also, Maleev's art style is a lot cleaner here, than I've seen in the past and it represents the SWU nicely.

I'm not reading the other SWU books, but how does this first issue compare to some of the other series at the moment?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I like both Star Wars and Vader but I don't really love either. Not in the way that I loved Star Wars: Legacy.

I am really eager to move past the movie era. I know this is a new continuity but I have read and enjoyed so many stories set in this time period that, honestly, I want something a bit different. Something with new characters set before or after the films. I want to get away from the big three and explore the lives of other characters, other worlds, other places.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I like both Star Wars and Vader but I don't really love either. Not in the way that I loved Star Wars: Legacy.

I am really eager to move past the movie era. I know this is a new continuity but I have read and enjoyed so many stories set in this time period that, honestly, I want something a bit different. Something with new characters set before or after the films. I want to get away from the big three and explore the lives of other characters, other worlds, other places.
    What would be interested in reading? Something like The Old Republic?

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Rogue One, where we get a few 'unknown' military-types fighting against the Imperials. This time period interests me most, but otherwise, Old Republic would be a place I'd like to see. JEDI!
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    What would be interested in reading? Something like The Old Republic?

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Rogue One, where we get a few 'unknown' military-types fighting against the Imperials. This time period interests me most, but otherwise, Old Republic would be a place I'd like to see. JEDI!
    Anything really, just away from the big named movie characters. It could be something as far flung as Dawn of the Jedi or The Old Republic to something set during the Clone Wars or just after the movies. I want new characters, or at the very least characters who need to be built back up in the new continuity (like Wedge, Lando, Fett, Ten Numb, Nien Nunb, Wes Janson, Bossk, Aura Sing, etc.).

I think that may come after The Force Awakens is released! With characters from the original trilogy appearing and also being the focus of the comics, in the case of Leia, Lando and now Chewie, because they are 'safe' characters. Even Kanan is from Star Wars: Rebels, so they're going with options that they are more confident will sell. I think after the movie makes it big they'll probably branch out with comics from the new era (Post-RotJ) and come up with new characters.
    My fan fiction:

I'm really impressed with the roster of creators on these books, so I'm giving them a try. I've only watched A New Hope and read the first three issues of Aaron's Star Wars.
    Are all Marvel SW comics (excluding Kanan) set between episodes IV and V? Even Lando?

Lando (the first issue was great!) is set prior to Episode IV, at least, before he joined the Rebellion.
    My fan fiction:

is the main Star Wars book any good? I love Stuart Immonen So I'll be checking it out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    is the main Star Wars book any good? I love Stuart Immonen So I'll be checking it out soon.
    It's been getting rave reviews and is topping the sales chart. With the new story arc starting, yeah go for it!

Really enjoyed the Ben Kenobi issue as well. Thought it was a really cool insight into a day of his life. And the journal provides more opportunities to tell stories like that. The issue was great as it showed Ben as the tragic character he is/was. A strong Jedi Knight, but a poor teacher and mentor with an even more difficult student.
    My fan fiction:

ROUNDUP: THIS WEEK in MARVEL STAR WARS

The newest addition to the Marvel Star Wars comic line is coming soon! Greg Rucka and Marc Checchetto’s STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #1 previewed on CBR this week! Click the link here to check it out.

Speaking of previews, CBR also has a handful of great looking pages from Charles Soule and Alex Maleev’s LANDO #2! Follow through to see it here.

Aside from a few previews, we also got some reviews of DARTH VADER #8 by Keiron Gillen and Sal Larroca.

Here are some quotes from those found around the web.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    "Darth Vader" #8 continues the investigation off the beaten path. I can appreciate that Gillen is investigating an unpredictable route, but I am hesitant to continue to invest time and money in this book that fails to deliver on the promise of Darth Vader. I'm not saying every panel should have lightsaber-powered dismemberments or Force-choke murders, but Darth Vader is more than the thug he comes across as in "Darth Vader" #8. He's a legendary villain, and this should be where we see that legend being constructed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Side of the Force
    Gillen is slowly arranging his chess pieces at we approach what should be an epic crossover in the Vader Down series. But what’s great about Darth Vader is that the journey and buildup to this climax is still enjoyable, and the series is staying true to its roots while forging its own path with exciting, original characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamSmackPow
    The Bottom Line: Eight issues in and Darth Vader is still the best book Marvel is publishing right now, hands down. It takes everything that made The Empire Strikes Back many fans’ favorite of the Star Wars saga and throws in a dash of complex noir-esque storytelling to create something unexpected.

With the announcement of the Vader Down event at this year’s Comic Con, it has me more excited than ever to see where this book is headed. Mark my words: Star Wars comics don’t get better than this.
    So what did you think of this week in Marvel Star Wars comics?
    • Excited for SHATTERED EMPIRE? What do you hope for the series?
    • Thoughts on DARTH VADER #8? Not enough Vader? Not enough Aphra?
    • Looking forward to LANDO?
    My fan fiction:

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have really liked Darth Vader a lot so far. I am really not that interested in reading about Han and Luke so much these days so I have avoided Star Wars and Leia. What surprises me is how much I have really enjoyed Kanan though. That book is a great read so far, and I have always really loved the "dark" period between episode 3 and 4. One of my all time favorite Star Wars series was the Star Wars: Dark Times book that Dark Horse put out right before Marvel got the rights back that covered that same time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have really liked Darth Vader a lot so far. I am really not that interested in reading about Han and Luke so much these days so I have avoided Star Wars and Leia. What surprises me is how much I have really enjoyed Kanan though. That book is a great read so far, and I have always really loved the "dark" period between episode 3 and 4. One of my all time favorite Star Wars series was the Star Wars: Dark Times book that Dark Horse put out right before Marvel got the rights back that covered that same time period.
    yeah, I enjoy seeing the dark times as well! I always thought that they never really portrayed how despicable the Empire was. There are clues to it throughout Star Wars Rebels, but not enough. What else have you read on that time period? Books and comics wise.

On the topic of Darth Vader, are you liking Aphra? She seems to be one of the fan favourites out of the new series!
    My fan fiction:

I have read them all except the Leia series. All are damn good so far.