Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Do they need to be called Fantastic anymore? They seem to fail in the comics and box office.
    Well, their top villian is at the head of a very popular marvel event comic, and Reed was the focus of the leadin to said comic.
    So, yeah, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Again I think the technical issue is that the rights were sold to Fox separately, and therefore the legal issues require them to get Marvel to sign off on crossing them. With Fox wanting Marvel to sign off on an X TV show as well I can't see Marvel bending over to give them anything after this. And whie even for MArvel they might have to rest the FF for a while, it's the villians I think they want more.
    Yeah. More than anything I frankly want Doom in the marvel side of things. If marvel were to just buy or negotiate getting the rights of Doom and no one else from the FF side of things, I'd be satisfied. Not that the FF doesn't have a lot of other cool characters and villains (like Galactus), but Doom to me and to marvel I think is special. I haven't seen the new FF movie but half the reason I don't is out of fear of what they're doing to the Doom character in it.

Fox didn't create FF just to burn Marvel and keep them from getting the rights back. that is a waste of money. THey wanted to try and profit from the comicbook franchise just like any other studio. If Fox cared about burning Marvel at the cost of their own money. They would never have let the rights to Ghost Rider and Daredevil revert back.

Also,Fox would be stupid at this point to try and burn Marvel considering they need their approval to even do TV series of the X-men. Or anything X-related. This movie did what Marvel and Ike Perlmutter hoped it would,it trashed their chances at a new franchise and increases the likelihood of the rights reverting back to marvel.

Do they need to be called Fantastic anymore? They seem to fail in the comics and box office.
    They didn't always fail in the comic department. Lee-Kirby's run, along with Lee-Ditko/Lee-Romita on Spidey, basically defined Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    What about a situation where they let Marvel have the rights to create the movie but they're in charge of distribution? Or they split the profits? I don't see the rights being just given back to Marvel wholesale (thats just unrealistic) but there are a lot ways it could work in Fox's favor to make a deal with Marvel. Sony and Marvel proves that it can work.
    Fox might wanna wait and see how that arrangement with Sony works before trying it themselves. If it does work out I think Fox would be okay with a similar arrangement.

We don't know for a fact that the arrangement between Marvel and Sony is working just yet... there maybe disagreements or conflicts down the line. But at least on paper it seems like a good compromise where everyone benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Batman v. Superman will erase the bad taste this flick has left in the audience's collective oral cavities.
    I don't think Batman vs. Superman looks that bad.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I could see Fox trading them permission for an X-Men TV series for the FF and realted properties back now. With the buzz Deadpool is getting and with Gambit on deck I don't think Fox is going to sink any more money into a property that has not paid off for them the way they wanted for 3 films in a row.

Hickman's run is one the best thing i have read from Marvel in years.

In the end it's simple as that, put someone who actually knows what he's doing as writer and you have a successful title. (normally lol)

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Well, their top villian is at the head of a very popular marvel event comic, and Reed was the focus of the leadin to said comic.
    So, yeah, sure.
    hmmm..nope i think the popularity has more to do with the Marvel Universe changing than anything F4 related.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

All that effort for nothing.

Fantastic Member

I have to wonder how worse this movie could have done if it had kept it's original release date. Coming out the same day as Inside Out and a week after Jurassic World.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I think both sides are gonna have to work a deal that will help them. A few years ago Friege was trying to work a trade off of getting Silver Surfer and Galactus back. So I'd do what I posted in another thread. I'd trade them characters to use in films (with Marvel involvement of course) and the following characters since Marvel isn't in a rush to put them in films at the moment.

Ghost Rider
    Tomb of Dracula
    Blade
    Moon Knight

There are some good franchise type films Fox can build there. Let them have the characters to do the films and they could have something here. Of course a big part of a deal worked out I'd say would be ...Fox and Disney need to unite for the common mega bucks they can achieve with X-Men vs. Avengers. That is the BIG MEGA BUCKS they both can earn. Disney could make a fortune on toys and merch from this type of film. Hugh Jackman would sign up in a friggen heart beat if he knew he was gonna be in some Marvel films.

Imagine the explosion if he showed up at the end scene of Civil War next year. (They can film an extra credit scene) . The moment it hits Fox and Disney are building to the next phase of the big films. Not only do you have Infinity War pt.1 and pt.2 ....you can have these 2 big films to build to an epic money making conclusion. But its all up to both sides making some good , giving in some things.

Let Marvel have the FF characters back. They won't quickly launch a FF film and can promise to wait til after X-Men vs Avengers in 2022 or 2023...to do that.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

So many possibilities. Maybe the movie ends up making money in the end thanks to international gross. Then Fox loses nothing by holding onto it and trying again (unless Marvel wants to shell out some coin). They would have to start production on another movie by 2022 for a 2023 release. What will the superhero movie genre be like then? Will it have faded away or be going stronger than ever as DC is in their Phase 2 and Marvel probably finishing Phase 3. I think that's the gamble. Now if the international also crashes and this debacle ends up costing Fox $50 million or more, that means they spent $50 million to hold onto a property that's worthless to them in the hope that in 7 years they can do something with it. If they can't, Marvel gets it back in 2022 for nothing. Is Fox willing to take the risk that another reboot would serve them any better? How does the TV X-Men fit into this? No coincidence that came up this weekend.

Nevermind what the fans want, as we only matter in where we direct our cash. The business side of this alone is entertaining. The Fox execs and Marvel execs are watching this all very closely, asking themselves the questions I asked above, as well dozens of others I'm not business/legal savvy enough to come up with.

Let's see the final number for F4 after it's run. That might give us some indication of where this could go. The first question is how much money Fox profits or loses on this flick? When that is answered, then we can really start playing the What Next? game.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liven View Post
    So many possibilities. Maybe the movie ends up making money in the end thanks to international gross. Then Fox loses nothing by holding onto it and trying again (unless Marvel wants to shell out some coin). They would have to start production on another movie by 2022 for a 2023 release. What will the superhero movie genre be like then? Will it have faded away or be going stronger than ever as DC is in their Phase 2 and Marvel probably finishing Phase 3. I think that's the gamble. Now if the international also crashes and this debacle ends up costing Fox $50 million or more, that means they spent $50 million to hold onto a property that's worthless to them in the hope that in 7 years they can do something with it. If they can't, Marvel gets it back in 2022 for nothing. Is Fox willing to take the risk that another reboot would serve them any better? How does the TV X-Men fit into this? No coincidence that came up this weekend.

Nevermind what the fans want, as we only matter in where we direct our cash. The business side of this alone is entertaining. The Fox execs and Marvel execs are watching this all very closely, asking themselves the questions I asked above, as well dozens of others I'm not business/legal savvy enough to come up with.

Let's see the final number for F4 after it's run. That might give us some indication of where this could go. The first question is how much money Fox profits or loses on this flick? When that is answered, then we can really start playing the What Next? game.

Internationally its gonna have to do at least $300-$350 million to even make it worthwhile to keep. Domestically its bombed here so the big hurdle is selling this film to an international audience.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liven View Post

Seems it opened to one of the worst international responses as well, bringing in just over 30 million from 40+ countries and isn't evne going to be shown in China. With Man from UNLE coming next weekend, I can't see the figures picking up much. Given the additional spend on Promotional expenses and the cut they have to give Marvel anyway I think at best it might break even for Fox.