Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    No they didn't. If ROTSS had made a bunch of money there would have been a sequel. Remember the studios only get about 50% of the Box office. They also have an ad budget and have to pay a % of the gross to Marvel. Fox might have made a few million in the end but they could have lost money was well. Without the internal Fox books it is too close to tell for sure.
    So, like I said, they made two FF films that made them a bunch of money. Not enough to warrant a third one, especially with Dark Knight and Iron Man just having put the bar a lot higher for what one can expect from a superhero film...
    They still made money.

Something being overlooked: the Trank film was mostly just made so they could hang on to the FF rights. I doubt anybody was expecting it to do very well, given how multiple big set pieces were removed and its budget was decimated before shooting een started.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    So, like I said, they made two FF films that made them a bunch of money. Not enough to warrant a third one, especially with Dark Knight and Iron Man just having put the bar a lot higher for what one can expect from a superhero film...
    They still made money.

Something being overlooked: the Trank film was mostly just made so they could hang on to the FF rights. I doubt anybody was expecting it to do very well, given how multiple big set pieces were removed and its budget was decimated before shooting een started.
    And you were wrong since the 2nd did not make a lot of money and might have even lost money. Like I said last month:

The studio only gets about 50% the box office and Fox has to pay a % to Marvel. The first one made money but the second is questionable.

The 2nd grossed $289 so Fox collected about $144.5 million-130 million budget= $14.5 million. Marvel's gross % is unknown but rumored 5-8%. If it is the low end then $289x 5%= $14.45 million to Marvel. That leaves Fox $50,000 ahead before taking advertising in account. If Marvel's share is higher then they were in the red at the Box office. Of course back then Marvel put out merchandise and Fox got a cut of that so they still might have made a little money with that and dvd sales but obviously they didn't consider it enough to continue the series.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

First one may have made some money. Second one was lucky if it broke even for them and the third one was a super flop that erased any gains they may have had and far more.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Fox has a property that now has a record of diminishing returns.

Fantastic 4 2005 - $330 million

Fantastic 4 ROTSS 2007- $289 million

Fantastic Four 2015 - $160 million

There is no way Fox will move ahead with a 4th FF film. They'll either shelf it or try to sell it. It's not worth much, so Disney may be willing to pay the price Fox is asking for.