Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I see them going for the reboot in another eight years unless Disney makes them a heck of an offer. They will allow Disney to recoup their investment big time or let them go another 16 years without the rights

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Some things to consider in regards about Fox, Disney and Marvel. There are really two fights going on here in actuality, one a lot older and longer then the other, that's the first one you have to focus on.

20th Century Fox has always had issues with Warner Brothers, they are the biggest rival to Fox, always have been since the inception of the two studios. By bowing to Disney they give Warner ample point and mock bait, and they're not willing to do that. On top of this you have Murdocks group and Ike's group in a proverbial contest of wills here as both are known CEOs that won't back down, and since his Son took over Murdock Jr. probably doesn't want to look bad in front of Universal or Time Warner.

Fox will hold onto those rights just so they can get a show that can go against the series that Warner and Marvel are putting out on TV. DC has a great track record of tv shows, Marvel is doing well with AoS and the Netflix series, so I think that for Marvel to get back F4, they will have to make a deal with Fox on the X-men front, because Fox is seeing the money come in from Gotham and that's sort of worrying to them in a way.

Oddly enough Fox is distrubuting another super hero movie of sorts in Dragon Ball Z Res. F, and that made right now a whopping 8 million and possibly more over the weekend given that some places are asking for longer time frame from it's limited nine day run and that's only on 131 theaters across the nation, and this was grassroots in terms of publicity.

Deadline: Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F grossed $1.2M yesterday and ranked No. 1 in average per screen over all other new releases this past weekend (and including sophomore player and No. 1 weekend champ Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation) with $1,475. The new North American cume for this anime surprise is now $7.5M+ with one more day left to play. So it’s not over yet.
    To view this, MIRN and F4 were in more theaters and yet domestically a dubbed Anime movie with a limited run is making 8 million in nine days, on top of the 60 million it made so far internationally, and that's not yet counting sales from DVDs and Blue Rays.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I don't deny Fox messed up big with FF but people were hoping for a flop long before they even saw a trailer. A lot of it has to do with marvel verses Fox fanfare. We should just be hoping for good movies from all that's currently on slate
    I think a big part of the reason people were so down on the FF before the first trailer even hit is because Fox just kept delivering one red flag after another.

From Kate Mara saying they flat out instructed her not to read the source material, to statements that Doom was an angry blogger (which obviously wasn't the whole truth) really did nothing to inspire confidence in the product. The fact that various sources are coming out now suggesting things were an even bigger train wreck than we first thought sort of justifies those concerns at least in hindsight.

I agree we should be hoping for good movies... but the way Fox and the cast handled things led to predictable end results in that regard. You can't say the things they did and not expect a backlash. So they sort of brought that on themselves.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Reminds me of when Capcom came out with DMC the reboot. A number of their higher ups, including the head of the studio producing the game, were trash talking fans and the previous series. You can't do that. I think a lot of people hear comics and view the sterotype, which has long gone by the wayside and it makes people feel injured. As you said Xpac, a number of red flags came up and it hit way to hard on people's nerves.