Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    cbm in general are a fad i don't see lasting that much longer.
    I do. It's no different from the horror and spy genres that continue today. It's even better that CBMs can be in every genre.

What I will never understand is hoping a movie flops because that's bad for all four companies putting out cbm and fans of the movies in general. I don't want to return to a time we only get Batman but if more movies flop that's where we will be

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    What I will never understand is hoping a movie flops because that's bad for all four companies putting out cbm and fans of the movies in general. I don't want to return to a time we only get Batman but if more movies flop that's where we will be
    Yeah, I'm not really the biggest fan of Avengers: AoU, but I didn't want it to fail. That's counterproductive to our overall enjoyment.

There's X-Men purists that didn't like the look of Singer's X-Men, but if it had failed we probably wouldn't have all these great things happening for both Marvel movies (Marvel and Fox), and DC movies.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Fox proven they can't do the F4 any justice which is why I want for the rights to go back to Marvel. They can hold on to the X-Men though.

I don't deny Fox messed up big with FF but people were hoping for a flop long before they even saw a trailer. A lot of it has to do with marvel verses Fox fanfare. We should just be hoping for good movies from all that's currently on slate

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    Are you privy to details of the distribution agreement apart from any licensing agreement?

The reason for me is: Silver Surfer, Galactus, Badoon, Super-Skrull, Annihilus, Kang, Dr. Doom, Uatu, Blastaar, Negative Zone, Molecule Man, and who knows who/what else. Also, Ben, Reed, Sue, and Johnny.
    Yeah I would love to see those characters properly used the in the MCU. If Marvel gets the rights to F4, I don't think they necessarily need to make another F4 film (Even though I certainly would finally want a proper one) but I would love to see members like Reed Richards making guest appearances as the go-to scientist for answers, and the other three helping out the Avengers and Inhumans.

Not to mention the villains would certainly be a treat in the phase 3 films, with the Skrulls and Galactus appearing in Guardians and Captain Marvel. And not to mention, I feel Doom would finally be given the proper film treatment that shows how he's the greatest villain in the comics and also besting Loki.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

What period of time do you constitute a fad? How long between CBM, from any studio, do you consider the fad lasting till it starts again...or has it been ongoing since '78 Superman? I say there hasn't been a significant break and it's a continual streak since '78.

Superman through part 4, Quest for peace: '78 - '87
    Supergirl: '84
    Batman through B&R: '89 - '97
    TMNT through TMNT III: '90 - '93
    The Rocketeer: 1991
    The Crow: 1994
    Judge Dredd: 1995
    Barb Wire: 1996
    Spawn: 1997
    Blade: 1998
    Mystery Men: 1999
    X-Men: 2000 - present(Apocolypse '16)
    Spider-Man: 2002 - 2007
    Hellboy: 2004 - 2008
    Iron Man: 2008 - 2013
    Avengers: 2012
    Ant-Man: 2015

Clearly I skipped a few films but as you can see there is hardly a span of more than 2-3yrs since starting in '78 where a comic book property wasn't put onto the big screen. In the 90's the diversity really increased. In the 2000's the variation increased again to the point we've had Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man headline solo films to success. We will be getting Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel through 2019. This doesn't include DC properties adding to the diversity w/Wonder Woman(finally), Aquaman, Suicide Squad & Cyborg(2020).

Even should one or two underperform or outright flop you better believe that Feige & Disney have plans for more, and new and different, Marvel Studio solo films well through the 2020's.

So...fad, clearly not the right choice of words to describe the Comic Book Movie phenom that's been kicking around strong in Hollywood for nearly 30 years now and is going to go well past that.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

there was a time? a whole decade i believe where the only cbm movies that were considered viable investments were superman or batman. and for a while, just batman. stan lee himself had to do a lot of footwork to even convince other companies that spider-man, x-men, etc. would be good investments. you should watch the documentary about his career on netflix.

if you look at the state of current things, ant-man did meager results, and age of ultron definitely did not see the success the first avenger movie saw. days of future past was fox's best commercial success for the x-men franchise, and that was even much smaller than the first avenger movie returns. now we have a fantastic four movie that doesn't even make its budget.

people can pretend that these studios operate in their own bubbles, but the fact of the matter is they all play in the same space. and while they may enjoy different returns on an individual basis, they will all share the same successes and failures as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    I do. It's no different from the horror and spy genres that continue today. It's even better that CBMs can be in every genre.
    Exactly. If superhero movies go away, it will be gradually over time, and never completely, like the Western. And comics are a medium that can be used to tell any kind of story, so adaptations of them are of just as many genres and are not in themselves a fad or a trend that will ever go out of style, any more than adaptations of novels are.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    What period of time do you constitute a fad? How long between CBM, from any studio, do you consider the fad lasting till it starts again...or has it been ongoing since '78 Superman? I say there hasn't been a significant break and it's a continual streak since '78.

Superman through part 4, Quest for peace: '78 - '87
    Supergirl: '84
    Batman through B&R: '89 - '97
    TMNT through TMNT III: '90 - '93
    The Rocketeer: 1991
    The Crow: 1994
    Judge Dredd: 1995
    Barb Wire: 1996
    Spawn: 1997
    Blade: 1998
    Mystery Men: 1999
    X-Men: 2000 - present(Apocolypse '16)
    Spider-Man: 2002 - 2007
    Hellboy: 2004 - 2008
    Iron Man: 2008 - 2013
    Avengers: 2012
    Ant-Man: 2015

Clearly I skipped a few films but as you can see there is hardly a span of more than 2-3yrs since starting in '78 where a comic book property wasn't put onto the big screen. In the 90's the diversity really increased. In the 2000's the variation increased again to the point we've had Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man headline solo films to success. We will be getting Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel through 2019. This doesn't include DC properties adding to the diversity w/Wonder Woman(finally), Aquaman, Suicide Squad & Cyborg(2020).

Even should one or two underperform or outright flop you better believe that Feige & Disney have plans for more, and new and different, Marvel Studio solo films well through the 2020's.

So...fad, clearly not the right choice of words to describe the Comic Book Movie phenom that's been kicking around strong in Hollywood for nearly 30 years now and is going to go well past that.
    Missing Men in Black, Scott Pilgrim, Ghost World, Crumb, Persepolis, 300, and a bunch of other non-superhero adaptations of comic books. I mean, the argument is about comic book movies, not superhero movies, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Fox proven they can't do the F4 any justice which is why I want for the rights to go back to Marvel. They can hold on to the X-Men though.
    Marvel can use galactus and doom, and do justice for both. I think FF will be great on a MCU, rehabilitate FF will be Marvel biggest challenge (if rights go back to marvel)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

there was a time? a whole decade i believe where the only cbm movies that were considered viable investments were superman or batman. and for a while, just batman. stan lee himself had to do a lot of footwork to even convince other companies that spider-man, x-men, etc. would be good investments. you should watch the documentary about his career on netflix.

if you look at the state of current things, ant-man did meager results, and age of ultron definitely did not see the success the first avenger movie saw. days of future past was fox's best commercial success for the x-men franchise, and that was even much smaller than the first avenger movie returns. now we have a fantastic four movie that doesn't even make its budget.

people can pretend that these studios operate in their own bubbles, but the fact of the matter is they all play in the same space. and while they may enjoy different returns on an individual basis, they will all share the same successes and failures as a whole.
    Yes Aces, that era was clearly the 80's and 90's. Supes in the former, Bats in the later. Blade was really the first niche breakout during the 90's, in 1998 and that surprised us all.
    Ant-Man will finish with a solid total, anyone expecting a GotG repeat was fooling themselves. Still Ant-Man has done $327m WW on a $130m budget, hardly meager, especially since it'll end over $400m when it's all done. Regarding AoU, it's actually more typical for a sequel to fall than increase. The Fast&Furious films have been an exception. Look at MI:RN, it's going to end a bit down from MI:GP.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Missing Men in Black, Scott Pilgrim, Ghost World, Crumb, Persepolis, 300, and a bunch of other non-superhero adaptations of comic books. I mean, the argument is about comic book movies, not superhero movies, right?
    I wasn't trying to be all inclusive, I said as much. No one wants to read a blocky wall of text.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Marvel and Fox are going to ruin CMBs if they keep up Quantity vs Quality.

I, for one, am absolutely giddy with the possibilities after this movie has come out. Not even at the possibility of Marvel/Disney making a deal with Fox, because I get the feeling that Marvel/Disney will try to do an exchange, rather than an outright buying back of the rights. If Marvel Studios wants the F4 rights, I think they stand to gain more in the long run than to try and make a deal with Fox for other rights.

Here are some of the ways that I can see Fox trying to recover from this disappointment:

-they go through with a sequel. I really hope they do. I have a feeling it will do wonders. What with all the support the current movie got, I can't see any reason more people wouldn't just flock to a sequel. /sarcasm

-they reboot. Well, if anything, I think this has a better chance at succeeding than the sequel and I do mean that. However, I have a feeling that it would have to be made with a low-budget, given Fant4stic. I have a feeling that the audience may not have a lot of faith in another F4 movie. The numbers gives me the feeling that Fox should set their sights on an Ant-Man type box office performance for Fantastic 4th Try.

-they let the rights lapse. I kind of hope that this actually doesn't happen, just because it gives less time for Marvel to plan something and ends up being a stall tactic by Fox to prevent Marvel Studios from doing something with the property that Fox does not seem to really grasp.

-Fox decides that they are better off holding on to the rights, but going bargain-basement with the effort and sink about $2 million dollars into the budget to make a found-footage/handheld type F4 movie reboot. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. Fans have been asking for this for a while, I think. They know their faith in Fox's keen business approach will lead to great results and Marvel Studios/Disney can't get their grubby hands on a property and characters that we all know Marvel Studios do NOT want. /sarcasm

Any way it goes, I doubt Marvel Studios has much to worry about. They have some semblance of a plan.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Fantastic Member

If the rumor is true that Fox waited until the last moment to make this movie then that is most telling (FF4 Rise of the Silver Surfer was released in 2007 and Fox had 7 years to put into production and 8 to release in theaters).