Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Does the failure of Fox's Fantastic Four hurt the Marvel brand?

We all know Fox's latest reboot of the Fantastic Four is a critical and financial flop that has probably scuttled their plans for a movie franchise for the next several years. The question is, will this hurt the Marvel brand itself? The general audience sees the Marvel logo displayed with Fox's films. Do they know Fox's FF wasn't from Marvel studios? Or will they see this as Marvel's failure, causing them to be more cautious with future Marvel properties?

I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Its not like Marvel hasn't had bad movies before, and they've survived. Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Hulk.....the studio recovered from all those flops (and several more) and are still going strong. The Marvel brand can withstand several big failures before people start to seriously question if their time has passed.

Those who keep up with movies and/or comic books will know that Marvel Studios isnt Fox, and had nothing to do with the FF film. Everyone else will just see it as just another crappy superhero film, of which there are many. And those people are not likely going to change their minds about the genre one way or another.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

I think it will hurt it a bit. The Fantastic Four is still a Marvel based property. The superhero movie bubble is due to burst sooner or later, maybe this is what starts it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I think it will hurt it a bit. The Fantastic Four is still a Marvel based property. The superhero movie bubble is due to burst sooner or later, maybe this is what starts it.
    I really don't get this notion. Comic Book movies are essentially sci-fi/action/adventure/espionage/whatever films, but rather than being entirely original they're based on already existing concepts. It's like saying that no new horror/noir/action/mystery/fantasy films will ever come out because a lot have already done so. I mean, there are 4 cbms at best out every year? 5? 6, even? Well, considering that during an average year you see about 200-300 movies I don't think it's that high a number that'll lead people to say "nope, it's a super-hero movie, I'm tired of them". As long as they're original, fun and whatnot, why should they fail?

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

I can't see it effecting Marvel comics as the films don't have a huge impact even with the billion $ successes. Really this shows the power and incredible strength of Marvel Studios, when they can turn Guardians and Ant-Man into blockbusters and yet Fox and Sony struggle with what should be more mainstream and easy to market properties. Maybe there is a super hero film overstaturation but it won't effect MCU-verse as it does the others.

So in short - No.
    Civil War, Doctor Strange, Black Panther , all the other sequels, etc. should be big hits given the MCU track record. And if Marvel Studios gets their hands on FF in the future then I would imagine they'd turn it into a winner too.

Absolutely. The average fan doesn't care about studios and it doesn't just hurt Marvel but comics in general. Things come and go as fads. We have twenty something super hero movies coming out in the next five years. Besides certain movies like Avengers and Batman verses Superman a bad super hero movie hurts b character movies such as Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Aquaman. Curious how much money did Antman make?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    I really don't get this notion. Comic Book movies are essentially sci-fi/action/adventure/espionage/whatever films, but rather than being entirely original they're based on already existing concepts. It's like saying that no new horror/noir/action/mystery/fantasy films will ever come out because a lot have already done so. I mean, there are 4 cbms at best out every year? 5? 6, even? Well, considering that during an average year you see about 200-300 movies I don't think it's that high a number that'll lead people to say "nope, it's a super-hero movie, I'm tired of them". As long as they're original, fun and whatnot, why should they fail?
    I'm not saying they will disappear completely, but maybe you will see less of them.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Is the Fantastic Four story still a relevant one? Does that model work? In the 60s and 70s, yes. But now?

Yes, the Marvel brand is going to take a hit because of the FF. As someone else said, not everyone knows the intricacies behind the Fox deal, nor do they really care. The FF is a Marvel product as far as they're concerned. The good news is that people aren't as married to a brand when it comes to movies as they are, say, when it comes to video games, or automobiles. Marvel can recover. The Fantastic Four as a movie franchise, however, is done. I don't see any studio leaping to make another FF movie, unless it's a straight to DVD offering with vastly diminished expectations.

BANNED

I don't think FF flopping is gonna run anyone off. You still have much more anticipated comic films due out in the next few years.

By next year, no one will be like, 'Well, the FF flopped, guess I'll stay at home tonight instead of going to see the new Marvel movie."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I'm not saying they will disappear completely, but maybe you will see less of them.
    I agree. I honestly believe that the critical disappointment of Age of Omelette and the honestly Blaise nature of Ant-Man will start bringing this about. Take Guardians and want-Man. Once you get past the exterior, they were basically the same structure and comedy as all the other MCU movies.

This is why everyone who likes superhero movies should thank God Almighty for WB and Fox. These movies will HAVE to start differentiating themselves, and the stinkers like F4 and even mediocre ones will begin standing out, especially when (call me a fanboy, but....) one studio is hellbent on turning nearly every new movie ip into the same, generic fair possible.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I doubt it. General audiences are aware this isn't a Marvel Studios movie. I think that Fox's history of delivering crappy superhero films outside X-Men was a major factor in it's failure. The two F4 movies, Daredevil and Elektra still haunt them.

you guys aren't giving the general public enough credit.

There were "Kevin Fiege Soon" memes on my FB wall all weekend... shared by people who don't read comic books. It was... weird actually.

The public knows. There was no "from the studio that brought you Iron Man and the Avengers" type of commercials. There were no connections to the MCU at all.

Marvel Studios won't be affected at all. Their next movie is CW which is so huge it will overshadow any possible negative feeling. And from there, its just back on the gravy train anyway
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    I agree. I honestly believe that the critical disappointment of Age of Omelette and the honestly Blaise nature of Ant-Man will start bringing this about. Take Guardians and want-Man. Once you get past the exterior, they were basically the same structure and comedy as all the other MCU movies.

This is why everyone who likes superhero movies should thank God Almighty for WB and Fox. These movies will HAVE to start differentiating themselves, and the stinkers like F4 and even mediocre ones will begin standing out, especially when (call me a fanboy, but....) one studio is hellbent on turning nearly every new movie ip into the same, generic fair possible.
    Ah yes, thank goodness for the brooding "heroes" and the EXTREME makeovers. One turns everything into a comedy, the other everything into a film noir with supposedly "intellectual" themes...

Niffleheim

I don't think it will hurt Marvel in any shape or form. I think the F4 movie just illustrates how outdated the franchise is and that they can't work as they are - changes have to be made if ever Fox decides to reboot. Like what is fantastical about them anymore? I think the team in the movie should have been Reed, Sue, Valerie and Franklin.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Spectacular Member

Pretty much anyone who's visited Yahoo in the last 12-18 months knows Marvel had nothing to due with this movie.

In my opinion in the long run this movie's failure could actually help the MCU as I don't see Fox's continued incentive to hold onto the property much longer... willing to wager they offer to sell the rights back to Marvel before years end, or at the very least give up creative control like Columbia pictures did for Spider-man.