Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Scott Snyder talks about Mr. Bloom and Bruce Wayne's new status (BATMAN #43 SPOILERS)

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/sc...f/1100-153167/

This reads like it was supposed to be released on Wednesday, so I'll spoiler tag this interesting bit:

spoilers:
    CV: A bit part of this issue, as well, is that Bruce Wayne isn't the Bruce Wayne he once was. Are we dealing with a form of amnesia or is something psychological going on like repressed memories due to shock?

SNYDER: No, it's not amnesia. It's meant to be neurological damage in a way that it's not that he just forgot. Those memories don't exist anymore, in his head, so his brain has been re-landscaped. There's nothing he can relearn or reclaim. It's all a brand new mind.

CV: So everything "Batman" is gone and he's just regular old Bruce Wayne now?

SNYDER: Yeah, exactly. It's gone and he doesn't have the skills. He doesn't have the abilities. He's just a normal guy. He's not going to be in an alley and have flashbacks to his parent's death. It's not going to be like he gets mugged and starts fighting and doesn't know why. He really is just a new person.
    end of spoilers

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Wow...that is something. Not sure how I feel, but I trust Scott Snyder, so it will be interesting to see what happens. It seems for sure spoilery.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm not sure how to take this in all honesty and unfortunately because of it being spoilery I can't really go into detail regarding my feelings either. Guess I'll have to wait on that.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

It does make sense within the greater Bat-verse continuity.

I won't spoil myself I'll wait til Wednesday

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    It's going to be a very minor footnote within the greater Bat-verse continuity eventually.

And a writer who doeshis best work on Batman when Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, is perhaps not a good fit for the character.
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-10-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Ha, I've enjoyed more than a few moments from Snyders run (and hated others) but damn he sure does seem intent on repeating every classic cliche from Batman comics

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Maybe it does but that really doesn't change my opinion on it much. I'm still not sure I like this idea at all or that I'm interested in the premise behind it either but I'll wait and see. Maybe the execution of it will make it interesting to me. Who knows. I think I'll be sticking to trade waiting the book though.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's going to be a very minor footnote within the greater Bat-verse continuity eventually.

And a writer who doeshis best work on Batman when Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, is perhaps not a good fit for the character.
    Well, I'm thinking I'd like an alternate universe Batman title, with a Younger Jim Gordon, probably like the one on "Gotham" stepping into the role of Batman, and maybe Bruce Wayne having been there, done that, as the mayor of Gotham, sanctioning the Batman through the GCPD. The only problem i see here, is that he really couldn't handle some of bruce's more dangerous enemies.

Spectacular Member jdmorris1124's Avatar

Not what I expected but I'm in. Excited to see where this goes.

Soooo take everything that makes Batman Batman away in a book about Batman...... great idea.

Astonishing Member

Totally cool with this. It's unorthodox and majorly Silver Age but frankly, if I buy into taking Bruce-Bats out of the picture via god-beams that blast him out of time and into a time-travel teleportation jaunt chased by a five-dimensional demon in a box that haunts and alters his chronology and actually literally rewrites his history to bring back in lost elements that have been retconned out of existence, than assuredly I can buy something that's more of a comic-book-techno mind-wipe situation. I'm not gonna be that guy who just Snyder-bashes the high concept when he finally does something interesting but who praises Morrison for the same off-beat plot device silliness. Especially when, frankly, history has shown me that I like seeing other people in the costume more (so long as there's a good "Bruce Wayne Mystery" to go with it.)

My big question is actually if Bruce is recovered from the cave-in and all mind-wiped back to Pure Bruce Wayne ... could there be a "Going Sane" style Joker out there somewhere? Or effing better yet - a "Going Sane" style Joker whose broken back from the cave-in has put him in a wheelchair, in the ultimate karma.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    It's unorthodox and majorly Silver Age but frankly, if I buy into taking Bruce-Bats out of the picture via god-beams that blast him out of time and into a time-travel teleportation jaunt chased by a five-dimensional demon in a box that haunts and alters his chronology and actually literally rewrites his history to bring back in lost elements that have been retconned out of existence, than assuredly I can buy something that's more of a comic-book-techno mind-wipe situation.
    That is the most beautiful sentence I have ever read on this forum. Thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Totally cool with this. It's unorthodox and majorly Silver Age but frankly, if I buy into taking Bruce-Bats out of the picture via god-beams that blast him out of time and into a time-travel teleportation jaunt chased by a five-dimensional demon in a box that haunts and alters his chronology and actually literally rewrites his history to bring back in lost elements that have been retconned out of existence, than assuredly I can buy something that's more of a comic-book-techno mind-wipe situation. I'm not gonna be that guy who just Snyder-bashes the high concept when he finally does something interesting but who praises Morrison for the same off-beat plot device silliness. Especially when, frankly, history has shown me that I like seeing other people in the costume more (so long as there's a good "Bruce Wayne Mystery" to go with it.
    Essentially my problem with the concept is not that I cant' "buy" it but that, in general, stories where a character is mind wiped don't appeal to me. Doesn't matter to me if it's temporary or not most of the time I just don't care for those types of stories. Now like I said before it could well be that this turns out to be better in it's execution than it's sounding to me at this point but for now I'm thinking I'll be giving it a pass just for that reason alone.

Amazing Member

I definitely prefer this direction now, glad he gave this interview.