Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default Fantastic Four Discussion (SPOILERS)

So, those of you who actually saw the move, what did you think?

I thought the casting was excellent, but Doom at the end was totally rushed in favor of the other character development. Like, what was the deal with the exploding people? Very sudden. Otherwise, the action was solid in an un-superhero movie. More science fiction, straight up.

Mods: if you're going to merge this or something, please keep the title unbiased.

nice to see some positive comments for a change. for me it was a good movie i dont get all the hate it was a bit slow in the middle and had flaws but show me a CBM with out flaws i think doom was bad ass and a better villain then ultron and i like the movie a lot more then antman.
    Last edited by choptop; 08-09-2015 at 09:09 PM.

While I have seen far worse films, this newest FF definitely wasn't a great one. The character work in the first half was decent. I appreciated the slow pacing and more realistic approach to the science and superpowers. I could see where director Josh Trank was going with it. Unfortunately, after the one-year later time skip in the middle of the movie, it turns into something entirely different.

It's obvious Fox stepped in to change the film into what they wanted. Cringe-worthy dialogue, the rush towards the climax, the obvious reshoots thanks to Kate Mara's wig, and an ending that felt unearned made the overall film into a mess. It really needed more time to develop the story and characters, and that's made clear from the short 90 minute runtime.

As far as being faithful to the comics, I am not as fanatical as some, so I didn't mind some of the changes. However, I didn't appreciate that Ben Grimm got "It's Clobberin' Time" from what his older brother would say when beating him as a child. That's just messed up. Concerning the characters themselves, the only one whose personality mirrored the comics was Michael B. Jordan's Johhny Storm (despite all the furor over his race).

Honestly, it feels like it had the potential to be a good film. It just got mismanaged. We may never know the whole story about what went on between Trank and the Fox execs (there were many rumors that Trank was drugged out, absent, and indecisive and competing rumors that Fox had a heavy hand in changing things), but I do feel bad for the actors. They're all talented, but the script didn't give them much to work with. Fortunately, I think they'll be fine, since they all have a lot of projects lined up. Trank's future, on the other hand, is questionable, and Fox's desire for a reinvigorated FF franchise is kaput.
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 08-09-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Anyone else feel like they wasted Doom? Undeniably one of if not the BIGGEST Marvel villain?

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I thought the casting was excellent, but Doom at the end was totally rushed in favor of the other character development. Like, what was the deal with the exploding people? Very sudden. Otherwise, the action was solid in an un-superhero movie. More science fiction, straight up.
    I had no problem with the montage of him exploding peoples' heads, it was actually a really good sequence. The problems came when he went back to the negative zone and all he do to the FF is hit them with rocks. The fact that Reed can stretch punch the guy who seconds ago was telekinetically blasting everyone's heads off and making forcefields just made me sit there rolling my eyes.

I didn't recognise much of Doom in what they did so they could have just gave him a different name and it would have changed nothing.

The back half of the film was just sort of messy, which is a shame because the dark militaristic elements from the first half were really cool and interesting.

That's what I meant about Doom's powers. He was flash frying and telekinetically popping people and I was trying to figure out what his powers were. Then he just totally didn't do that against the team. Maybe if they mentioned that the energy makes them immune or something.

I wouldn't call it a back half, more like the last 30 minutes or so. With so much being done for character in the earlier parts, they definitely needed a longer resolution. The is probably the first time I've wanted an extra half hour.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post

As far as being faithful to the comics, I am not as fanatical as some, so I didn't mind some of the changes. However, I didn't appreciate that Ben Grimm got "It's Clobberin' Time" from what his older brother would say when beating him as a child. That's just messed up. Concerning the characters themselves, the only one whose personality mirrored the comics was Michael B. Jordan's Johhny Storm (despite all the furor over his race).
    Frankly, I feel like giving it an original tone without actually making it gritty was the best idea. That seems to be a line most of these films have trouble walking. As far as the dialogue, maybe it was your standard comic book move stuff, but the six main actors were good enough to not bother me with it. Nothing like AoU and the dead tired joke about Cap not liking profanity.

Big laughs during this movie: I lost it when his brother said "it's clobberin' time." For some reason a lot of people laughed when Reed saw his legs stretched out in the wreckage. And me and my girlfriend both lost it in the middle of the fight where Reed just punches Doom.

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    The first 20 minutes or so are alright and there's kernels of good ideas here. But then it goes to Hell pretty quickly:

-The whole sequence of events that leads up to the accident was lame.
    -The cast has no real chemistry.
    -The characters are barely sketched out.
    -Doom is HORRIBLE. His look, his plan, his motivations, EVERYTHING is godawful.
    -Some of the effects/CGI looked really dodgy.
    -I HATE that Sue was sidelined for key events.
    -Ben getting his catchphrase from her abusive a-hole of an older brother was just HORRIBLE!!
    -The time jumps were in some of the worst spots possible.
    -The pacing is terrible.
    -It's so serious and dour that it's a slog to get through (the X-films may be serious overall, but they have some fun/humor still).
    -The "mixed family" thing between Sue, Johnny, and Dr. Storm could have been interesting, but nothing is really done with it.
    - The characters spend big chunks of the film apart from each other.
    -The climax, such as it was, was really rushed.
    -NOTHING HAPPENS!! It's ALL buildup (and not good buildup) with no real payoff. It's like a ninety-minute trailer for a (maybe) better sequel that will probably never happened now.

As far as positives go, well the cast does their best with what little they're given and some of the David Cronenberg-type body horror stuff is suitable creepy/nasty. But that's about it.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I had no problem with the montage of him exploding peoples' heads, it was actually a really good sequence. The problems came when he went back to the negative zone and all he do to the FF is hit them with rocks. The fact that Reed can stretch punch the guy who seconds ago was telekinetically blasting everyone's heads off and making forcefields just made me sit there rolling my eyes.

I didn't recognise much of Doom in what they did so they could have just gave him a different name and it would have changed nothing.

The back half of the film was just sort of messy, which is a shame because the dark militaristic elements from the first half were really cool and interesting.
    I hate that they keep giving Doom powers at all, he doesn't need them. Also, spoilers:
    Once again they directly tied his origins to those of the FF
    end of spoilers Which I also hated.

Extraordinary Member

Here is the reason:

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

I came back from theaters and I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I really liked it.

Don't get me wrong, it still had plenty of flaws, but I felt like it had slightly more pros than cons.

Pros: I loved the special effects and the final fight was epic. Dr. Doom was my favorite part of the movie. The way he decimated the government seemed cool and a little poetic. Especially when he kept blowing up their heads. I like his portrayal of the character and that he was more menacing then in the first two films. His motivation also made sense in a messed up way, but he was also right about protecting the power away from the "Mole Man". Michael B. Jordon also did a good job as the HT. He was funny and relatable. Now for the cons.

Cons: Dr. Doom and HT were the only ones who got good actors. Everyone else was terrible. The scientist at the Science Fair was really stupid to say "That's not science!". What the hell was he smoking?! Who ever played Sue was the worst actress their. Also, why did Ben have to be so short?

Above all else, I give it a fantastic 4 out of 5 stars. But I'm not exactly one for giving good reviews since I like most movies I see.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    nice to see some positive comments for a change. for me it was a good movie i dont get all the hate it was a bit slow in the middle and had flaws but show me a CBM with out flaws i think doom was bad ass and a better villain then ultron and i like the movie a lot more then antman.
    Every movie has flaws but FF's were so big you couldn't ignore them.

Lets go down the list: It took them 50 minutes to get their powers. There was no second act. There was no character development/relationship between the team. 1 major action scene. Doom was only in the movie for 10 minutes and had no motivation/personality. Weak CGI. Bad wigs. DOOM looked like shit. They are never a Team until the last 15 minutes. Dialogue was bad and it was overall boring.

Theres more but those are the major ones.
    G.O.A.T.: Greatest Of All Time now on Patreon. Please support or spread the word www.patreon.com/andrewhuerta

There's already a thread for this: http://community.comicbookresources....our-%282015%29

BANNED

It certainly wasn't the worst comic book film I've seen (that title still probably goes to Ang Lee's Hulk, Elektra, Catwoman, or Green Lantern [of the one's that I've seen]), but it left a lot to be desired out of a franchise filled with characters I enjoy.

I'd rank it somewhere between those horribly bad ones I just mentioned and Thor: The Dark World.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHuerta View Post
    Lets go down the list: It took them 50 minutes to get their powers.
    how long did ironman need to build working armor? or for thor to get the hammer back? maybe not 50 minutes but it seems like a long time of them just f-ing around.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post
    9 pages about a movie that wasn't even out. In the comic forums, this is why preview and discussion threads are usually separate.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHuerta View Post

Lets go down the list: It took them 50 minutes to get their powers. There was no second act. There was no character development/relationship between the team. 1 major action scene. Doom was only in the movie for 10 minutes and had no motivation/personality. Weak CGI. Bad wigs. DOOM looked like shit. They are never a Team until the last 15 minutes. Dialogue was bad and it was overall boring.

Theres more but those are the major ones.
    The tricky thing is I can't imagine cutting scenes to get to the power stuff faster, because every scene was about the characters. Not that the pacing was great. Victor and Doom both had a clear personality (the character he's based on speaks in third person, so I imagine it was also a rough go), but the endgame was really cut short. Also, I didn't notice the wig thing everyone keeps mentioning. That sounds like something you look for once you know and care about it.