All-New Member

Question What are siege really essential issues? Will siege spoil previous events and current-at-the-time series?

I want to read Siege in order to read Journey into Mystery v4 (I know it is directly derived from Siege). I haven't read almost anything since Avengers Disassembled, but I plan to read House of M, Civil War, New Avengers, etc. I think I know the most relevant facts that happen in that period (the existence of the Registration Act, the decimation, Captain America's "health problems", the Winter Soldier, Norman Osborn recruited the Dark Avengers...)
    What are the bare minimum issues I have to read related to Siege? The Trade Paperback ones are all mandatory (I'm very reluctant to read the last issues of New Avengers)?. This list leaves New Avengers apart, but includes Thor issues.
    My main goal is to avoid major "surprising" spoilers from Disassembled to Siege (i.e. I don't mind to discover that now the Hood rules the underworld; I would mind to discover i.e. that to get there he got Galactus to devour the Kingpin, or that he is the secret son of Gwen Stacy and the Winter Soldier; Captain America's return is no surprise to nobody; how it returned would be). Is it feasible?.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hetchel; 08-10-2015 at 04:54 AM.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

You're in luck-Siege is (in my opinion), one of the best Marvel events. This is basically the order I'd recommend, based on Personal enjoyment, and what reads better, instead of chronological order:
    FCBD 2008: 'The Ways Things Are'
    Siege Preludes
    Dark Avengers #13
    Siege: The Cabal
    Dark Avengers #14-15
    Siege #1/Siege #1 Directors' Cut
    New Avengers #61
    Siege #2
    New Avengers #62
    Siege #3
    New Avengers #63-64
    Siege #4

That's only the essentials. I wouldn't say that the Thor tie-ins are relevant-they only add background to the other Asgardians' role in the Siege. Dark Avengers is essential to setting up the storyline, (collected as Siege: Dark Avengers), and New Avengers provides some interesting background (collected as Siege: New Avengers)
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

All-New Member

Thanks for your lightning fast response.
    So in summary you recommend to read the TPB plus Siege Prelude.
    What about the spoilers? Siege prelude is a recap (or do you mean Siege prologue? or both?), so I believe it will spoil a lot of previous events. As I said, I don't know if reading the last New Avengers issues is a good idea from a non-spoilers point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    You're in luck-Siege is (in my opinion), one of the best Marvel events. This is basically the order I'd recommend, based on Personal enjoyment, and what reads better, instead of chronological order:
    FCBD 2008: 'The Ways Things Are'
    Siege Preludes
    Dark Avengers #13
    Siege: The Cabal
    Dark Avengers #14-15
    Siege #1/Siege #1 Directors' Cut
    New Avengers #61
    Siege #2
    New Avengers #62
    Siege #3
    New Avengers #63-64
    Siege #4

That's only the essentials. I wouldn't say that the Thor tie-ins are relevant-they only add background to the other Asgardians' role in the Siege. Dark Avengers is essential to setting up the storyline, (collected as Siege: Dark Avengers), and New Avengers provides some interesting background (collected as Siege: New Avengers)

Siege Prelude is a recap which reprints past issues. When I mentioned it in my list, I did mean the Siege Prologue issue.

Plus, the New Avengers issues don't spoil anything about the ongoing story itself-they're just stories set during the Siege, providing background for Ronin and Luke Cage's roles in the event.
    So pretty much, I'd say that you need:
    Siege
    Siege: New Avengers
    Siege: Dark Avengers
    Upcoming:

All-New Member

Thanks for your clarifications. When I mentioned the TPB, I meant the Deluxe HC, which seems to contain exactly the issues you recommend, so it's either the 3 you mention, or the Deluxe HD.

Siege Prelude is a recap which reprints past issues. When I mentioned it in my list, I did mean the Siege Prologue issue.

Plus, the New Avengers issues don't spoil anything about the ongoing story itself-they're just stories set during the Siege, providing background for Ronin and Luke Cage's roles in the event.
    So pretty much, I'd say that you need:
    Siege
    Siege: New Avengers
    Siege: Dark Avengers
    Last edited by hetchel; 08-10-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hetchel View Post
    Thanks for your clarifications. When I mentioned the TPB, I meant the Deluxe HC, which seems to contain exactly the issues you recommend, so it's either the 3 you mention, or the Deluxe HD.
    Yep, the Deluxe HC has the same content as those 3 TPBs. However, I don't think that they're printed in Reading order, just series order. So you could still follow the reading order I mentioned earlier (which I think would enhance the experience).
    Upcoming:

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

One major addition, though: If you're reading Thor v3, or you plan to read Journey into Mystery in the future, I would read the Thor tie-ins. They pretty much set up all of the plot elements in Gillen's Journey into Mystery, especially Siege: Loki.

All-New Member

In fact, I want to read Siege now in order to read Journey into Mystery. Should I read the next Gillen arc, "The Fine Print" (611-614)? Do you recommend any of the Fraction issues/arcs (either in Thor v3 or in Mighty Thor)?. Because my plan is to jump from Journey into Mystery to Thor, God of Thunder (I already read the first and second arcs, which fortunately are more or less "out of continuity", but I'm afraid that I might need some more previous info in the next arcs (maybe I'm off-topic-ing my own topic )
    Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    One major addition, though: If you're reading Thor v3, or you plan to read Journey into Mystery in the future, I would read the Thor tie-ins. They pretty much set up all of the plot elements in Gillen's Journey into Mystery, especially Siege: Loki.

All-New Member

Sorry, double post. Please delete if you can.
    Last edited by hetchel; 08-11-2015 at 12:10 AM.

All-New Member

I'll do for sure. But I'll set you to froze in Hel if my experience is not truly enhanced
    Yep, the Deluxe HC has the same content as those 3 TPBs. However, I don't think that they're printed in Reading order, just series order. So you could still follow the reading order I mentioned earlier (which I think would enhance the experience).
    Last edited by hetchel; 08-11-2015 at 03:41 AM.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hetchel View Post
    In fact, I want to read Siege now in order to read Journey into Mystery. Should I read the next Gillen arc, "The Fine Print" (611-614)? Do you recommend any of the Fraction issues/arcs (either in Thor v3 or in Mighty Thor)?. Because my plan is to jump from Journey into Mystery to Thor, God of Thunder (I already read the first and second arcs, which fortunately are more or less "out of continuity", but I'm afraid that I might need some more previous info in the next arcs (maybe I'm off-topic-ing my own topic )
    I would actually! The background familiarity with Mephisto will help you understand him when he shows back up in Journey into Mystery. Like I said, the major one is Siege: Loki which basically acts as Journey into Mystery #0.

I don't remember if Fraction's arc directly after that (The World Eaters) is vital to understanding Journey's set up, but you'll want to at least read issue #617, which introduces the star of Gillen's Journey into Mystery. You can read a summary of what happened in The World Eaters, or you can read the whole thing if you so wish.

Journey into Mystery essentially starts out as a tie-in to the event Fear Itself, so you'll want to read that event alongside it!!!!! You have the option of reading it alongside The Mighty Thor, or not, but it doesn't affect much either way. I don't think it really matters, especially since JiM is a lot better. If you wish, you can check out The Mighty Thor #8 after Fear Itself, which introduces Asgard's new status quo.

Journey into Mystery actually goes through two different crossovers - the first is called Exiled, and requires you to read Exiled #1, JiM #637-638, and New Mutants #42-43.

The second one is called Everything Burns and runs through The Mighty Thor #18-21, and Journey into Mystery #642-644.

All-New Member

Thanks for the fast, detailed and knowledgeable response.
    Dammed crossovers, events... It is already hard to cope with you WANT to read, then you have to deal with you NEED to read...
    I'll open another topic to ask for the minimum Fear Itself issues to read (to not go more offtopic in this conversation). You are very invited to answer there

I would actually! The background familiarity with Mephisto will help you understand him when he shows back up in Journey into Mystery. Like I said, the major one is Siege: Loki which basically acts as Journey into Mystery #0.

I don't remember if Fraction's arc directly after that (The World Eaters) is vital to understanding Journey's set up, but you'll want to at least read issue #617, which introduces the star of Gillen's Journey into Mystery. You can read a summary of what happened in The World Eaters, or you can read the whole thing if you so wish.

Journey into Mystery essentially starts out as a tie-in to the event Fear Itself, so you'll want to read that event alongside it!!!!! You have the option of reading it alongside The Mighty Thor, or not, but it doesn't affect much either way. I don't think it really matters, especially since JiM is a lot better. If you wish, you can check out The Mighty Thor #8 after Fear Itself, which introduces Asgard's new status quo.

Journey into Mystery actually goes through two different crossovers - the first is called Exiled, and requires you to read Exiled #1, JiM #637-638, and New Mutants #42-43.

The second one is called Everything Burns and runs through The Mighty Thor #18-21, and Journey into Mystery #642-644.

All-New Member

Maybe you mean The Mighty Thor #7?

If you wish, you can check out The Mighty Thor #8 after Fear Itself, which introduces Asgard's new status quo.