Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Archie" #1 Sales Top 100K, "Walking Dead" Surges Higher on July 2015 Sales Chart

Marvel's "Secret Wars" and "Star Wars" continue to dominate while "Invader Zim," Mad Max" and other series launch strong.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

While limited, it's nice to see a variety of genres and publishers creeping into the top 50. This kind of diversification is great to see. With major publishers outside the top 2 getting a flagship title, or two, or three, or...near the top of the charts it gives them a better opportunity to attract top talent.

And now putting on my corporate hat...how Dan Dideo and Jim Lee can sleep at night when Superman is not a top ten selling comic is beyond me. That should be in a Publisher's contract: Batman, Superman and Justice League must all be top ten selling books for at least 10 out of every 12 months or you're out!

Secret Wars dropping just over 1% between 3-4 is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Not to mention... re-orders of #3 out-numbered the drop of #4 by almost double, so you can prob expect re-orders of #4 on the August chart, too.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexor7 View Post
    And now putting on my corporate hat...how Dan Dideo and Jim Lee can sleep at night when Superman is not a top ten selling comic is beyond me. That should be in a Publisher's contract: Batman, Superman and Justice League must all be top ten selling books for at least 10 out of every 12 months or you're out!
    I'd be more worried that this whole DCYou launch/relaunch of books hasn't produced a lot of books that actually sell well. They did an all out marketing blitz, and Batman Beyond, We Are Robin, Black Canary, Omega Men, Starfire, etc, etc. are all lackluster in regards to units moved. Robin: Son of Batman #2 and Cyborg #1 are the only new monthly ongoing books even in the top 50.
    Last edited by Kurtzberg; 08-10-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Fantastic Member

Prez, Omega Men, Midnighter and Doomed are below 20,000 units with their second issues! I'm sure DC has the confidence in these books to let them last a while, but the actual numbers have got to be a big disappointment for them. A lot of the older books which didn't restart have taken big hits on their numbers after the heavily promoted first month too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    I'd be more worried that this whole DCYou launch/relaunch of books hasn't produced a lot of books that actually sell well. They did an all out marketing blitz, and Batman Beyond, We Are Robin, Black Canary, Omega Men, Starfire, etc, etc. are all lackluster in regards to units moved. Robin: Son of Batman #2 and Cyborg #1 are the only new monthly ongoing books even in the top 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    Prez, Omega Men, Midnighter and Doomed are below 20,000 units with their second issues! I'm sure DC has the confidence in these books to let them last a while, but the actual numbers have got to be a big disappointment for them. A lot of the older books which didn't restart have taken big hits on their numbers after the heavily promoted first month too.
    Remember, this chart is based on retailer orders.
    The #1 issues hadn't even come out, yet, and retailers pretty much halved their orders for the second issues.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Is Lando the biggest selling book with a black lead since Man of Steel during Reign of the Supermen?

Also: Yay, Squirrel Girl's sales are trending upward.
    Last edited by jeanvaljean; 08-10-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Remember, this chart is based on retailer orders.
    The #1 issues hadn't even come out, yet, and retailers pretty much halved their orders for the second issues.
    Yeah, I get that there is a drop as an industry standard, and there are things that could alter the picture. This isn't the whole story, there are reorders/second printings or maybe some of this stuff may do really well in trade or maybe some of this stuff is selling well digitally (but no one knows the numbers there). My point is that DC put a fair amount into a relaunch, and the early (and it really is very early) indications are they don't have anything they can point to as a unquestionable success story from their new books.

See below:----->

Based on its premise, I wanted to not like it. I gave it a chance - and I like it.

The main series is incredible. Some tie-ins, less so, but Hickman and Ribic are really bringing their A game.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Man, Weirdworld is doing really badly. This doesn't bode well for Black Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    Yeah, I get that there is a drop as an industry standard, and there are things that could alter the picture. This isn't the whole story, there are reorders/second printings or maybe some of this stuff may do really well in trade or maybe some of this stuff is selling well digitally (but no one knows the numbers there). My point is that DC put a fair amount into a relaunch, and the early (and it really is very early) indications are they don't have anything they can point to as a unquestionable success story from their new books.
    Usually the tale of the tape is the 4th issue. By then retailers know how many to preorder for their pulls and racks. I agree that a lot of the DCYou launch was underwhelming. Also many of their main characters books are undergoing big changes too (e.g. Superman's "truth" storyline).

It might be time for a change up top. The failure of Convergence, lackluster sales on new titles, and overused gimmicky stunts like the lenticular covers prove that it is time for a new direction.
    Current Pulls for DC/Vertigo: Batman, Justice League
    Image: Manifest Destiny, East of West, Low, The Wicked & The Divine, Injection, Tokyo Ghost
    Valiant: Harbinger/Imperium
    Other: Letter 44, Lady Mechanika, Tarot

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Not to mention... re-orders of #3 out-numbered the drop of #4 by almost double, so you can prob expect re-orders of #4 on the August chart, too.
    It wasn't really a drop.

The sales of Secret Wars #3 in June 2015 was 218,136 ( Secret Wars #4 is 221,041 ) but they added the sales of Secret Wars #3 in July 2015 of an add'l 5,931, totaling to: 224,067

You can check this thread that I've made about the Secret Wars sales: http://community.comicbookresources....88#post1413888

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Is Lando the biggest selling book with a black lead since Man of Steel during Reign of the Supermen?

Also: Yay, Squirrel Girl's sales are trending upward.
    Indeed.

January 2015: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 : 41,693

February 2015: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2 : 24,621

March 2015: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3 : 26,586

April 2015: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4 : 20,987

May 2015: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #5 : 20,088

June 2015: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #6 : 19,341

July 2015: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #7 : 19,801
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 08-10-2015 at 10:35 PM.