Hazuki1892

Default Marvel Villains too lame for the Cinematic Universe??

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Marvel mad, obviously. I'm just after some feedback on an article I've written on Marvel Villains that simply won't make it into the next phase of the movies - do you agree with the ones I've chosen? Do you disagree with any? Who should be the next big on screen villain?

http://whatculture.com/comics/12-vil...c-universe.php

Thanks!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I've always liked the Unicorn.

You mean there wasn't a Hollywood reason they just brought Egghead back from the grave? Aww...
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I actually think boomerang could work given the right context and I think Superior Foes of Spider-man is exactly the blueprint on how to do it. Being lame was actually a very big strength for those characters in that series and given the Marvel Cinematic Universe's tendency for goofy comedy, I think they could make him work in a movie, costume and all.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

The MCU doesn't have a "tendency" for goofy comedy, but no reason some of these can't be in the few MCU comedies. Does Melissa McCarthy want to be a Marvel Villainess?
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

The weird 'realistic' Marvel Cinematic Universe will have it's problems when it starts to use characters that don't make sense.

Yet, Plant Man could work, it's just a guy who controls plants, they don't have to make him look like that....

Wait... Angar the Screamer? He's already in the MCU.

Oh and the entire Serpent Society would be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    The MCU doesn't have a "tendency" for goofy comedy, but no reason some of these can't be in the few MCU comedies. Does Melissa McCarthy want to be a Marvel Villainess?
    Absolutely, it does. Its occasional lightheartedness is common throughout all its movies save for Winter Soldier.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Yeah, they're great. I'd rather have seen Captain America: Serpent Society over Captain America: Civil War, but then I'm a freak and love 'jobber' / born-to-lose villain teams like the Dark Riders, Mutant Force/Resistants, Savage Land Mutates, Acolytes, Psionex, etc.

As for villains that are 'too lame,' Winter Soldier managed to make Batroc the friggin' Leaper a badass, so I'm going to say that the author of that article isn't giving Marvel enough credit.

Plus a third of his list seems to be, 'I hate fat people! They're gross!' There have been some heavyweights, like Kingpin, who might take exception to the notion that 'big-boned' people can't make credible villains.

Wut?

The MCU is practically all cheesy comedy. Guardians of the Galaxy was billed as an action comedy and there are like 2 jokes a minute in Age of Ultron. The only MCU movie that was light on jokes was Winter Soldier.
    On ye olde CBR

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the ones that would not really work are someone like the Impossible Man or the Molecule Man. Characters that can really do just about anything.

Boomerang is a funny one since Warner Bros has already used their Boomerang (Captain Boomerang) not only on the Arrow and the the Flash TV shows, but he is also a member of the upcoming Suicide Squad movie too.

Plantman has not gone by that name or used that costume in a long time now. He was actually pretty cool when he changed his name to Blackheath when he joined the Thunderbotls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As for villains that are 'too lame,' Winter Soldier managed to make Batroc the friggin' Leaper a badass, so I'm going to say that the author of that article isn't giving Marvel enough credit.
    Pretty much this.

If they can make Batroc play (and honestly, I would have taken a little more cheese with it... Brighter purple, more mustache, something) it doesn't seem like there is a villain whose core concept couldn't be adjusted to work.

Paste Pot Pete, I can see how it works with a little rejigger.

Yeah, most of Marvel's villains have sucked. Very little character work and generic motivations.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Boomerang has no business being on this list.
    I'd sell my left kidney for a Superior Foes movie
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Yup, Season 2 of Agents of SHIELD

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    The weird 'realistic' Marvel Cinematic Universe will have it's problems when it starts to use characters that don't make sense.

Yet, Plant Man could work, it's just a guy who controls plants, they don't have to make him look like that....

Wait... Angar the Screamer? He's already in the MCU.

All-New Member

You mean there wasn't a Hollywood reason they just brought Egghead back from the grave? Aww...
    Egghead lives? When did that happen and does Hank Pym or Hawkeye know about it?

The good Dr. Mind Bubble.
    CaptainAmerica17.jpg
    While is appearance is utterly ridicules, his mannerisms non-threatening, his method of killing is downright brutal and scary. the bubbles that come out of the pipe on his head, will envelope you, at that point you are under his control, while you live out your fantasy. after that, the only way out is to kill yourself inside your dream world before it kills you by becoming your worst nightmare.